Thread: Charging per linear mtr for external tape

Thanks

Default Charging per linear mtr for external tape

Does anyone charge per linear mtr for external tapes or is it included in the m2 price ? I've just finished a 4 bed house and used nearly 6 boxes of flex tape ( labour only ) . My problem is that the m2 is taken out for windows doors etc and have been offered 30 on top of my m2 price which is ridiculous considering the time involved .. Is this the norm for sub contractors everywhere ? It's always been like this but when you get loads more than normal it really hurts the pocket .. How does everyone else price for this if you work for yourself .?. Thanks

Thanks

It is an extra. If i was getting over a fiver a m2 then i would maybe chuck them in with the measure, but seeing as they are clawing back windows, doors etc out of your rate then you are well within your rights to be charging 3 odd a linear metre if you were supplying. Thats over 100 a box multiplied by 6 and I would expect at least half that for labour only. Its probably not the answer you wanted to hear sorry.

Why dont you just tape the square meterage then ask him to fit them himself for 30 extra to see if he thinks its a fair price?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

6 boxs is a lot for a 4 bedder,sadly the way things are, just be"greatful" for the extra 30....probably came off the price anyway, if the truth was known,with a lot of firms anyway...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    It is an extra. If i was getting over a fiver a m2 then i would maybe chuck them in with the measure, but seeing as they are clawing back windows, doors etc out of your rate then you are well within your rights to be charging 3 odd a linear metre if you were supplying. Thats over 100 a box multiplied by 6 and I would expect at least half that for labour only. Its probably not the answer you wanted to hear sorry.

Why dont you just tape the square meterage then ask him to fit them himself for 30 extra to see if he thinks its a fair price?
    I thought that would be the case I wish I had the bollocks to say that to them ! The thing is I have never been out of work with the firm for the last 10 years so don't want to rock the boat but every now and then something like this comes along and it makes me angry ! Like you say what I should do is leave all the externals and then drop back as a extra and charge them 2 days day work on top of meterage .. But i won't

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forestbhoy View Post
    6 boxs is a lot for a 4 bedder,sadly the way things are, just be"greatful" for the extra 30....probably came off the price anyway, if the truth was known,with a lot of firms anyway...
    This is so true ! Sadly

Thanks

Don't let them walk all over you. Grow a pair and tell them you want extra, especially as they have taken out the window openings. You want a minimum of 2 a linear metre. Fuck'em.

Thanks

If theres only a window and 1 external bead in each room then I dont charge extra, but I do include the m2 for the windows and door space. 1 guy pulled me once saying "But you're charging me for window space that isnt there! I want money off!"
    "Ok then " Isaid "But I'll need to charge you 2.75 per metre for beads, and that works out more expensive............"
    He's never questioned me since on any other jobs!

Thanks

Ended getting an extra 50 on the m2 price but still getting bent over

Thanks

Its 50 you'd never have had if you hadn't chinned him, SJ.
    If ya don't ask............

Thanks

Hi. I have question how long could take to do 340m2 tape and joint walls and cealings just for one men?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lukas2106 View Post
    Hi. I have question how long could take to do 340m2 tape and joint walls and cealings just for one men?
    How many, because 'one' is singular and 'men' is plural?

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

The way i look at it is there are two ways to measure, SOLID where you measure the windows and doors in usual for new build, and then theres INDUSTRIAL where they take out all the openings.
    If you measure SOLID then everything is included in the meterage rate inc the bead.

If you measure INDUSTRIAL then all bead is an extra on a linear meterage.

If you take a window that is 1m sq and your charging 3 p/m you loose 3 if they knock it out but if you charge 1 per linear on the bead you get it back, its swings and roundabouts. Its all ways pissed me of when they knock out the openings when in truth theres more work there than any where else.

Agree either way up front and stick to it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dillon For This Useful Post:

amestaper (13-10-2012)

Thread Information