Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Externals

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Default Externals

What size trowel/blade do you use for coating up externals.

I have all ways used an 8" for first coat followed by one or two coats with a 10" But recently I have been working with some Northern guys that do it all with a 6" knife but the results are terrible it leaves a curved surface and once sanded you can see loads of filler showing through. Also when doing reveals they never tape right up to the window, where as I cover the whole reveal (as long as its not to wide) to fill any gaps between board and window frame.

IMO a 6" is too bendy for this application and a stiffer blade of even better a trowel should be use. Whats your oppinion

Thanks

I use a trowel on externals, 9" i think. When doing window ingoes/ reveals, then generally a 6" knife does the job

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

I use a 6" first coat the 8 or 10 depending on reveal size for the next 2 coats.
    Like you Dillon I've seen a 6 used for all coats on reveals, rougher than a Badgers 'arris

Thanks

A six inch blade for first coat then a trowel for the second and third.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    I use a 6" first coat the 8 or 10 depending on reveal size for the next 2 coats.
    Like you Dillon I've seen a 6 used for all coats on reveals, rougher than a Badgers 'arris
    Yep I just spent all day coating over their work every external was like a ski slope, 15 rooms 3boxes and a bulk head in each one, Im knackered now coz Im old.

Thanks

6 for first coat, 8 for the second then very tight 10 for the third. Window ingoes are always right into the frame, it would have to be because the bevel edge is likely to be wrong way round.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Ahh, the bevel edge! Does my fkn nut in! Why the joiners think that it MUST go to the window edge escapes me...........

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Ahh, the bevel edge! Does my fkn nut in! Why the joiners think that it MUST go to the window edge escapes me...........
    Totally agree,but many lads who do plastering have told me thats how they want it.Be fair, to ask a boarder to remember edge into window for plaster,away for taping is asking a lot....

by the way,doing externals,trowel putting them on,depending on reveal width when 6 '' knife used, and then trowel for final coat....

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I use 6" for first coat& 8" second& 3rd

Thanks

What is with this '3 coat' malarky?
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

Thanks

...11" trowel, one coat of filler and one of cement !

Thanks

I always do it firstly to cover the tapered edge that is against the window frame and secondly there is no edge to rub or care about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by southern jointer View Post
    I always do it firstly to cover the tapered edge that is against the window frame and secondly there is no edge to rub or care about.
    Sorry mate don't understand what you mean. The tapered edge should always go on the outside of the reveal to take the corner tape and keep it square

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Dont bother me which way the taper goes coz I fill right across to the window, technically crack filler is right, the reason boarders put the taper edge against the window is coz the dummies carnt cut a strait edge.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crack filler View Post
    Sorry mate don't understand what you mean. The tapered edge should always go on the outside of the reveal to take the corner tape and keep it square
    Working away so I've just seen your message. You are right Crack Filler its just that I misunderstood the post above and with regards to the tapered edge I normally get it only accidentally if someone else is drylining the place because everyone is rushing and cutting corners everywhere.......so I practiced to coat up the whole reveal up to the frame of the window and at the same time it fills the gap between the board and the window frame!

Thanks

Hiya I don't expect tapered edges on all my angles and I definitely don't get them. It just winds me up that given the choice the boarder sticks the tapered edge against the window and shows their ignorance.

Thanks

If the window reveal is anything up to a trowels width, I coat the whole thing up too. It annoys me when tapers can't be arsed to fill the gap between the board and the frame, thinking that the painter will caulk it.

Thanks

is it not the painter's remit to caulk it Tony? If we fill the gap it'll just crack

Thanks

I generally go right across and fill whatever is there but been on a few sites over the last few years where I have been asked not to. 1 to keep the frame clean and 2 cause the paint or whoever was taking care of it.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    If the window reveal is anything up to a trowels width, I coat the whole thing up too. It annoys me when tapers can't be arsed to fill the gap between the board and the frame, thinking that the painter will caulk it.
    is it not the painter's remit to caulk it Tony? If we fill the gap it'll just crack
    Worked for a bloke a few years ago,he stopped all of us going into the frame. Painters were caulking nothing around doors/windows,and so after the frames were cleaned,the protective tape was causing a gap.

Thread Information