Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie apprentice question

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Practice mate. Watch different tapers, ask questions, try new methods. It doesnt happen overnight. I'm 42 but still watch other tapers working to see if they do anything different to me.
    Watch and learn Tee
    thank you! i guess the saying is best used in this instance 'patience is a virtue'

Thanks

Absolutely mate. Keep watching, keep learning!

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    There is no average salary mate. It is all down to what you can turn out, because most tapers and fixers work on a price. I know tapers that are earning a grand plus a week on shit meterage rates, 2 coating mass produced houses to a disgraceful standard. I know a fixer that is currently earning over 3k-4k for a long week. He is a 'machine' though .It's all down to you.
    You would be surprised how high they expect our standard to be for the prices.You do your own work mate and don't generalise those that still have to put up with the "house bashing"...ok?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forestbhoy View Post
    You would be surprised how high they expect our standard to be for the prices.You do your own work mate and don't generalise those that still have to put up with the "house bashing"...ok?
    I won't be venturing on site mate. I refuse to fork out hundreds for an NVQ'd CSCS card and comply with the ridiculous H&S bollocks, and most importantly work for less than 3 a metre.

Thanks

Thank you once again guys for the advice but as daft as this may sound, what does the term 'house bashing' mean?

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tee17 View Post
    Thank you once again guys for the advice but as daft as this may sound, what does the term 'house bashing' mean?
    It's a name for the repitition of just doing site work, one house after another

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forestbhoy View Post
    It's a name for the repitition of just doing site work, one house after another
    Ah :/ that is what im doing

Thanks

Sorry to bump this post but i just wanted to ask peoples opinions on metal stud work on house bashing compared to t&j? Still having trouble on which career path to choose. All help and advice is welcome. I currently make good but want to progress in to something better.
    thanks.

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

Tee, learn to do it all, then what ever work is going, you can do it, also by learning everything it opens up new opportunities that wouldn't have come your way

Metal over T&J, my thoughts are, it's better, you only go in the house once, you don't have to buy your own materials
    Downside you may only have 1 or 2 sites to work on, possible 1 or 2 days work a week, and maybe no work for a week or more.....^^^^see above

Thanks

i already despise kitchen fitters as they fitted the kitchen and boiler cupboards and i had to some how reach over and 'make good' around the boiler pipes going through the cieling, most awkward thing especially as im learning. Not to mention make good on all the 4 cieling corners as they are poorly T&J.

Sometimes i do see work and just think to myself 'when im at the level that they are at, i would always try to do a smart finish to leave less work for the making good guy'
    not always, well rarely the case with the commertial jointing i've seen. sucks![/QUOTE]

Hey man I also started off as a patcher (making good guy) Little tip for filling around boilers man, try and get into the house before the kitchens fitted makes it much easier to fill. When i'm house bashing now I'll always fill around boilers and and dodgey sockets to make life easier for the patcher

Thanks

I agree with brian, Like i said above, started making good about 8 years ago, watched metal stud going up n started helping the lads out now and then, same with skimming and boarding. when there arent houses to tape my gaffa will send me to give the fixers a hand or drop back and help the lads board out houses.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tee17 View Post
    Had to sort out 3 sockets today in which he done that, he cut his original hole wrong and then cut about an ince away above it for it to be right, so i had to come along and fix his bodge with a insert of board, filler, skrim tape, filler then aimz (aimz to be applied tomorrow)

i already despise kitchen fitters as they fitted the kitchen and boiler cupboards and i had to some how reach over and 'make good' around the boiler pipes going through the cieling, most awkward thing especially as im learning. Not to mention make good on all the 4 cieling corners as they are poorly T&J.

Sometimes i do see work and just think to myself 'when im at the level that they are at, i would always try to do a smart finish to leave less work for the making good guy'
    not always, well rarely the case with the commertial jointing i've seen. sucks!
    little tip for those bast@@d boiler pipes ... Once you have done the filling coat/s put your final coat on runny with a paint brush , saves times and makes for a better finish

Thread Information