Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joint filler and cement beginner question.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

I dont mean to laugh guys but your all diluded this sort of work does go on all the time and ever where, I am currently making a nice living following machine tapers snagging and putting it right in front of the painters, I call them "Hit n Run" Tapers and TBH their trowel skills are shite but they are fast, hence my thread about using a 6" on externals and reveals.

Tony M you seem to live in a perfect world, personally I would love to be given 1 nice house a week, take 3/4 days to tape it and sand last weeks on the 5th day, BUT it just dont work like that sites these days write in to their programs T&J ONE day.

PS I also know of two screw boarders that can do a 4 bed in a day and its perfect a pleasure and rareity to follow.

Thanks

You are obviously following tapers who have no pride. As for allowing one day of the programme time to tape, this is why I will probably never set foot on a big site again. I refuse to be pushed and would rather go home. As for living in a perfect world, I thought it was funny how every property I do has a white picket fence around it and smells of freshly baked bread.

Thanks

Taped in one day? Even with heaters on, I still had 3 trips to finish a job. These site managers are obviously delusional but have they been fooled into believing this is normal practice?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    I call them "Hit n Run" Tapers and TBH their trowel skills are shite
    See the link below for an example of what hit and run tapers and painters thought was good enough quality for a PFI funded school recently.

http://www.tapingandjointing.com/for...ll=1#post12678
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    You are obviously following tapers who have no pride. As for allowing one day of the programme time to tape, this is why I will probably never set foot on a big site again. I refuse to be pushed and would rather go home. As for living in a perfect world, I thought it was funny how every property I do has a white picket fence around it and smells of freshly baked bread.
    Its not that they have no pride more like they have no time they come in and blitz the job then off to the next and I follow on keeping the painters happy (impossible) its not right but as a system it works.

amestaper as for drying times You live in Beautifull Scotland where its cold and wet. As its been said we all find our techniques and tricks, believe me it is possible to do a house in a day.

Thanks

Not every Hand Tapers are rough !!!

i actually take damn pride in my work that's why i was never out work, unlike a lot people who claim to be tradesmen.

I not once had to go and snag any of my work, if its done correctly you don't need too.
    Just because you think its impossible to joint in a day dose not mean its written in stone.

And pimples are what you get when you are putting on too thick, or on to wet, i have even in past used 3 Filler and extreme tight coat cement in cold days.

Biggest issue i used to have if windows were not in, would refuse point blank to do reveals, Beaded and finished outsides but never touched inside.

So as for being put in joke section with my MAGIC Compounds !! i do not think that is what i need No Offence

Geordiboy

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Trying to figure out how to post pics, if I can boy your in for a laugh

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Default Sussed it

Here's some of mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dillon For This Useful Post:

amestaper (11-11-2012),E.K Taper (12-11-2012)

Thanks

amestaper as for drying times You live in Beautifull Scotland where its cold and wet. As its been said we all find our techniques and tricks, believe me it is possible to do a house in a day.
    I do indeed and have heard many rumours of tapers blitzing a house in a day. There is even a link to a site in the US (from somewhere on this site) that advertises this business model and their unique selling point is snapping the plasterboard to make seamless corners and his jobs are also sanded the same day. I was taught one wet coat on top of another resulted in one big sticky glop whether you taped or painted so I made the time to find another plot to work in or something else to do while it was drying. If I was expected to have bashed out a house per day then I wouldn't have done it.

5 houses over 5 days has been done by us, just not a production line of starting and finishing the same day.

Thanks

Trying to figure out how to post pics, if I can boy your in for a laugh
    You can also open an Imageshack or Photobucket account and link to the image from your post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    I do indeed and have heard many rumours of tapers blitzing a house in a day. There is even a link to a site in the US (from somewhere on this site) that advertises this business model and their unique selling point is snapping the plasterboard to make seamless corners and his jobs are also sanded the same day. I was taught one wet coat on top of another resulted in one big sticky glop whether you taped or painted so I made the time to find another plot to work in or something else to do while it was drying. If I was expected to have bashed out a house per day then I wouldn't have done it.

5 houses over 5 days has been done by us, just not a production line of starting and finishing the same day.
    Amestaper

i done a couple trial Bungalows with Lafarge in Bridgwater years and years ago where we tryed to eliminate internal angles by snapping board and coving ceiling lines.

looks good but if there was any movement atall paper on board would tear.

Another time done trial with Easi fill when it first came out, my god i loved that when it come out, like a breath fresh air.

And loved working with Lafarge the lightweight cement ready mix cant even remember name lol, you could really crack the houses with that stuff and used to get loads free buckets too haha

Geordiboy

Thanks

Mind you if ever i do a private job i allways on Oblique angles use same method, gives you fantastic clean line.

Geordiboy

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Geordiboy View Post
    Big G

i dont mean any disrespect from any of you guys

Machine taping against a good hand taper from the tapers i used to bump into all around South West, i could out perform each and every one speed wise and standard wise (that i mean by standard being left to sand, not overall standard that was good after sanding).

i used to work alongside another guy on a couple of occasions when busy and we could complete a 4 bed 3 coats in a day no bother and to good standard as i take pride in my work myself.

never down there come across any machine tapers who could keep up, no doubt there is fast guys on machines but never came across any in my travels on housing sites.

Geordiboy
    Have had too before now, with another taper,and not often, bust my balls to do a large house in what is a long day.The rest of what you say,some might be thinking it,and i will say it,is bollox.

Thanks

Back on topic, one coat filler, 2 cement for tapes. Using 2 coats filler then 1 cement will speed the job up a bit and probably be good for you when 'making good'. However, be careful when sanding cos you dont want to sand the cement right back thru so the fast set is showing, cos when the painter comes in, his emulsion won't take to the fast set so you'll get problems later on.
    2 coats cement on internals . I find putting internals on wi fast set makes the finish coat rougher. Just my opinion. Again though, should be ok for making good.
    Last edited by E.K Taper; 11-11-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Just about everything I joint at the moment has been painted with at least a mist coat and sure enough if I use filler it flakes off if I use Joint cement it wont dry quick enough and I deffo dont have time to unibond it first. The answer is a mix of filler and JC. Small holes and repairs you can get away with filler but any flat joint forget it.

Im doing hotels so every room is the same and in each one the same problems, internals (especially top corners and skirting line not low enough) sockets bulk heads and reveal externals not flat.

rant OFF

Thanks

Just about everything I joint at the moment has been painted with at least a mist coat and sure enough if I use filler it flakes off if I use Joint cement it wont dry quick enough and I deffo dont have time to unibond it first. The answer is a mix of filler and JC. Small holes and repairs you can get away with filler but any flat joint forget it.

Im doing hotels so every room is the same and in each one the same problems, internals (especially top corners and skirting line not low enough) sockets bulk heads and reveal externals not flat.

rant OFF
    The answer is Easifill. I've never had a problem with Easifill for making good. Most painters I know always carry a bag of it in their van.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

unfortunatley Im not supplying so I use what im given which is the same as the jointers, secondly if I was suplying I couldnt afford easyfill and third its too hard to sand and Im a lazy bugger.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Back on topic, one coat filler, 2 cement for tapes. Using 2 coats filler then 1 cement will speed the job up a bit and probably be good for you when 'making good'. However, be careful when sanding cos you dont want to sand the cement right back thru so the fast set is showing, cos when the painter comes in, his emulsion won't take to the fast set so you'll get problems later on.
    2 coats cement on internals . I find putting internals on wi fast set makes the finish coat rougher. Just my opinion. Again though, should be ok for making good.
    Thats my approach so you won't sand through the joint cement and reveal the filler while painting. If filler or easy-fill is used to bed internal tapes, the second coat drags with the angle head. Internals applied with filler on small porches, conservatories etc where it wasn't worth getting the tools dirty were always finished with a corner trowel.

Thanks

rant OFF
    As tonym says .. Easifill is the answer it shouldn't even be questioned for makin good ! As for being hard to sand down it really shouldn't be if your edges are clean , you can pick it up for around 12 ish and it will do the job properly any combination of filler / cement is a waste of your time on painted surfaces

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

I agre that easyfill is good but as I said Im not suplying I also have the odd bit of new taping to do, its a case of making the best of a bad situation, lets not forget I wouldnt need any of it if certain people were better at their jobs.

Thread Information