Thread: Sand down edges of drywall patch panel for tape?

Thanks

Default Sand down edges of drywall patch panel for tape?

Hello,

Due to a small residential bathroom flood, the bottom two feet (in height) of some drywall, along a couple walls, was torn out.

I've installed replacement pieces of drywall. Now the gaps between the pieces, and between each piece and the wall above it, must be covered with tape.

The edges of a full sized drywall panel, as sold in Home Depot, are a little thinner than the rest of the panel. I assume that's to allow the tape to lay low, so it will not be at a higher level than the panels.

But my replacement pieces are not full size (I cut them from full panels). Do I need to grind down the panels' surfaces near the edges, and also grind down the bottom edge of the existing wall, so the tape can lay low?

If so, I guess I would be stripping off the paper covering from drywall, for those areas near edges. That means the tape would have to be attached to the bare drywall material that was under the paper. Is that OK to do? What's the best way to do that stripping?

What tips do you have about making the taping a success in this situation?

Many thanks in advance!

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Hi what your talking about is the difference between a tapered joing and a Butt joint, if you think about a ceiling it will have both so your answer is NO you dont have to grind down the edges. The key to this is exprience but in simple terms put some scrim tape on the joints then apply a thin coat of filler followed by two coats of joint cement/aimes. Make the last coat as wide as you can to feather out the joint while keeping the center(over the tape) as thin as you can without exposing it.

The trick is lots of thin coats dont try and do it in one coat.

Thanks

You should't remove any paper as it would weaken the drywall. Like Dillon mentioned, build it up in thin coats by applying a mesh tape with a setting joint filler (or hot mud as im guessing you're from the US) then finish off with air drying joint compound or just use paper tape and a few coats of joint compound.

If it was in my bathroom i would completely skim over 4 feet up from the floor.

Try looking up drywallschool.com as they have loads or useful info with images and movies for DiY jobs.
    Last edited by amestaper; 08-12-2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Typos galore this evening
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thread Information