Thread: superstars

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks

Default superstars

We all know the kind of people im talking about. you employ someone cos he says hes the best thing since whenever and things dont work out exactly as planned. any stories anyone?
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks

I once saw a taping gun and pump abandoned and filled with hardened fast set. This belonged to another squad of tapers working on the same job as us a long time ago.

Superstar = Someone who does a DIY taping job in their own house and thinks they know enough to start on site next Monday.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

I have 2 favorites:
    Paladin: might have been his real name... his father apparently was working out a one coat system, where he would tape and single coat applied just so, which could be lightly sanded; and voilà, ready for finish paint. This system has so far failed to take Canada by storm. Perhaps he is there in Europe with you all.
    Paladin's own technique was to multi-coat to absolute perfection. He was truly amazing, in fact I would hire him tomorrow just to see it again! The week he worked with us he did a section of wall, had to be 3 by 4 meters, 4 coats on it, took him 4 days. When he was satisfied, everything was carefully, tightly, polish coated so that you could still see the hollows where the bevel joints ran. He might have used a whole pan-full of mud. I was awestruck. Fortunately I wasn't paying for his time.

Joe was another memorable taper, He sauntered onto the site as a journeyman with a suspicious lack of tools. The foreman assigned him a few rooms and told him where the mud was. By lunch he'd borrowed enough tools to start and had 3 tapes on. His mixer was a whisk he'd made up out of scrap t-bar wire. No one was impressed with his ingenuity and he felt unappreciated. His bluff was called and the next day he was an apprentice.
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

Thanks

Agreed anyone who comes to the site with no tools (inc hand taping tools) is a definite chancer. I wont work with Monday clubber guys who arrive late with a hangover, crack open the coffee, have an hour for breakfast, and hour and a half for lunch and leave at 2.30pm finished for the day. Too many bad experiences working with alcoholics, they are not team players and they are only interested in number one.

That guys already with us in england, been here 18 months and hes onto his third house already but i think hes changed his name to Paladinski or Paladinczek.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdcbv View Post
    Too many bad experiences working with alcoholics, they are not team players and they are only interested in number one.
    They've always got one eye on the pub opening. I agree mate.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

There will always be passengers, being a pisshead is just a lame excuse.

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks

Worked with a young guy who disapeared off the face of the earth and we had no idea of his whereabouts and he left his tools on site. Heshowed up again out of the blue one morning and turns out he had been in jail for 6 weeks.
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks

Saw some guys turn up with cheap kids crap plastic or homemade tools travelling to work on public transport adamant they are the best trademan ever. Also got a problem with guys peeing in buckets as it can be spilled over someone while chucking it from a 4th floor window, but the site bogs were immaculate after that worked with a plasterer who supposedly had 3 dentist/doctor apps in 4 days. he was gone by friday.
    Not to keen to work with violent drug fuelled psychos and pissheads either.
    Last edited by johnk; 16-06-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: someone i forgot

Thread Information