Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Working on site

  1. #1
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Working on site


    I met up with a tape and jointer on site today and had a chat picked his brains for a bit and watched him graft he said he was only plodding along.
    in just under 4 hours he two coated a two bed flat all corner taped flats internals spotted the lot.
    Scrimped all flats then first coated then cut and fixed corner tapes. Went round with nail spotter Then ran over flats with box. And done all internals with a bazooka.
    Ready for 3rd coat in the morning
    1st coat over scrim flats lafarge universal jointing compound 2nd coat with box arrow lite jointing cement 3rd coat arrow lite jointing cement.
    be before I left he was finishing off and moving in to next unit not bad for some one that's just plodding along.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    That's some going , wish I could move that's fast .

    TT

  3. #3
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 74 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Well I have just returned to house bashing today for the first time in at least a year, I have a 3 bed two story and have first coated everything today. It has been very hard going not helped by very poor light. There was a time when I would have second coated it too. Im out of practice and old.

  4. #4
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    you need a young blood like me to chase behind you wanner train me up

  5. #5
    VIP E.K Taper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East Kilbride, Glasgow
    Posts
    1,385
    Thanks
    386
    Thanked 199 Times in 177 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Well I have just returned to house bashing today for the first time in at least a year, I have a 3 bed two story and have first coated everything today. It has been very hard going not helped by very poor light. There was a time when I would have second coated it too. Im out of practice and old.
    Thats all I'd be looking to do at this time of year Dillon. An average 3bedder, 2storey, I'd just 1st coat it. By half 2 the light is going so I just spot the screwheads then mix up for the morning. Different in summer where you can work till half 4 (or beyond if u can blag a key)

  6. #6
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 74 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Thanks EK i feel better now I thought I had lost it, if indeed I ever had it. TBH it was worse in the morning didnt realy get going till 10.30 and was done by 3.45 I will get it finnished tomoz but my poor OLD bones are aching like hell. Kentish its a good Idea and the way to learn, where are you based.

  7. #7
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    108
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Maidstone did I say ill work for free too please

  8. #8
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 74 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Sorry M8 im in Devon and not looking for a trainee,(even a free one) Your doing the right thing if you want to get into the trade but dont sell your self short even complete beginner is entitled to a wage just for fetch and carry work and nail spotting etc. Good luck with the job search.

  9. #9
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Thanks EK i feel better now I thought I had lost it, if indeed I ever had it. TBH it was worse in the morning didnt realy get going till 10.30 and was done by 3.45 I will get it finnished tomoz but my poor OLD bones are aching like hell. Kentish its a good Idea and the way to learn, where are you based.
    5 hours to tape a 3 bedder,quicker than i can do....anyway we use those led headlights you get from camping shops.Get yourself some re-chargeable batteries and you can gain at least an hour a day in the morning and at night.........5 x 1 hour a day....taping up a 3 bedder ....???

  10. #10
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 74 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forestbhoy View Post
    5 hours to tape a 3 bedder,quicker than i can do....anyway we use those led headlights you get from camping shops.Get yourself some re-chargeable batteries and you can gain at least an hour a day in the morning and at night.........5 x 1 hour a day....taping up a 3 bedder ....???
    No mate read it again I only first coated it on the first day (5hrs) I finnished it on the second day. It was just about 300sq/m and nearly killed me the next one will be easier (I hope). I do have a head torch and a full set of lights that run off the genny but TBH I carnt be arsed to carry it all in and out.

  11. #11
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 187 Times in 160 Posts

    Default

    A 3 bedder is 3 days taping (3 coats) and the best part of a day sanding for me.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyM For This Useful Post:

    southern jointer (27-01-2013)

  13. #12
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 74 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Im trying to think Of a smart arse answer but just carnt

  14. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    252
    Thanks
    71
    Thanked 60 Times in 55 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    A 3 bedder is 3 days taping (3 coats) and the best part of a day sanding for me.
    same as,and trying to get it to dry, even with heaters to do it in 3 straight days is murder.

  15. #14
    VIP E.K Taper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East Kilbride, Glasgow
    Posts
    1,385
    Thanks
    386
    Thanked 199 Times in 177 Posts

    Default

    Agreed. Generally you'd have to leave it for a day between 2nd and 3rd coats to get it dry this time of year

  16. #15
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 74 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    The only problem I find is if I apply the 3rd coat too soon I get bubbles/blisters in it. The answer is second coat with filler or filler/cement mixed, enternals are the biggest problem I find, Im seriousley concidering bedding them on with filler/cement mixed but I like to use the machines and dont want to risk the pump.

  17. #16
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 187 Times in 160 Posts

    Default

    On the smaller properties, we have been doing 2 coats of filler and 1 coat of smartmix extra. Doing a 750m2 house at the moment, one coat filler and 2 coats smartmix. Bloody place has used over 2 boxes of bead too. (240m+)

  18. #17
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 74 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    No mate read it again I only first coated it on the first day (5hrs) I finnished it on the second day. It was just about 300sq/m and nearly killed me the next one will be easier (I hope). I do have a head torch and a full set of lights that run off the genny but TBH I carnt be arsed to carry it all in and out.
    Just started the next one today exactley the same worked 8-4 and got two coats on everything, not much faster but deffo easier second time round. Decided to use BG gear this time as it sets of a bit quicker than my usual Wondertex. Oh yeh the nice suprise is they are 330 sq/m

  19. #18
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 187 Times in 160 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Just started the next one today exactley the same worked 8-4 and got two coats on everything, not much faster but deffo easier second time round. Decided to use BG gear this time as it sets of a bit quicker than my usual Wondertex. Oh yeh the nice suprise is they are 330 sq/m
    The only good thing about Wondertex is that you can rub it down with your hand if you run out of sandpaper.

  20. #19
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    592
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 74 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    The only good thing about Wondertex is that you can rub it down with your hand if you run out of sandpaper.
    when your work is a rough as mine thats an asset.

    I guess its what your used to I realy like wondertex and have used it for years, I can spread anything but given the choice thats what I like.

  21. #20
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    st blazey,cornwall
    Posts
    131
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    when your work is a rough as mine thats an asset.

    I guess its what your used to I realy like wondertex and have used it for years, I can spread anything but given the choice thats what I like.
    Wondertex is ok mate but try gtec smartmix,it is a very good product.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dodgy working conditions
    By amestaper in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18-08-2011, 08:22 AM
  2. Working away from home
    By E.K Taper in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24-01-2011, 07:54 PM
  3. anybody working
    By wolfy379 in forum Business, marketing, and advertising
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-05-2010, 07:46 AM
  4. Working at heights
    By amestaper in forum General off topic chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-03-2010, 12:51 PM
  5. Working steady
    By jimbo1873 in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26-01-2010, 02:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •