Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper joint tape

Thanks

Default Paper joint tape

Hi all, can any one tell me why paper joint tape, bobbles, when you have bedded it to death.

TT

Thanks

The gear behind it has either dried in a bit before you put the tape on it, or there wasn't enough gear behind it in the first place.

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    The gear behind it has either dried in a bit before you put the tape on it, or there wasn't enough gear behind it in the first place.
    as tony says i find it happen on flat tapes when hand taping be different using a bazooka or similar as the gear and tape are applied alot quicker than by hand

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tictac2340 View Post
    Hi all, can any one tell me why paper joint tape, bobbles, when you have bedded it to death.

TT
    Maybe the fact you have bedded it to death is the problem. there has to be enough mud behind the tape for it to stick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Maybe the fact you have bedded it to death is the problem. there has to be enough mud behind the tape for it to stick
    other question could be "are you slapping your mud on sticking the tape on and overskimming while the adhesive coat of mud is still wet?"

Thanks

Hi Scott, i put the mud on, then the tape on top, and bed the tape, and overskim the tape while the tape is still wet, is this the wrong way????

TT

Thanks

Hi Scott, i put the mud on, then the tape on top, and bed the tape, and overskim the tape while the tape is still wet, is this the wrong way????

TT
    It is. Just bed the tape and leave it to dry. The boxes will fill out any bits you missed later.

I have an old book BG gave me when I took their course explaining the method with sketched pictures, I will try and hunt it down tomorrow and scan the picture.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Hi amestaper, but this is not the case with internals, is it.
    as I run the roller over the tape, then the flusher, so the tape is still wet
    TT

Thanks

It is indeed but you dont overskim internal tapes. I only use only the small amount the taping gun applies, rolled out then swiped over with an angle head.
    I also applied to flats with taping gun, and swiped off with a long handled broad knife so I couldnt push too hard and bed it to death. My tapes didnt bubble and the only thing I would do with a small taping knife would be to pick the snots off.

If you know better then why did you ask the question? The answers above are correct.
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

I am only just starting , so i just wanted to make sure am doing things the right way, i didnt mean to upset any one.

TT

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    It is. Just bed the tape and leave it to dry. The boxes will fill out any bits you missed later.

I have an old book BG gave me when I took their course explaining the method with sketched pictures, I will try and hunt it down tomorrow and scan the picture.
    are these courses worth while going on alex? are they like a couple of days or a day or what? i dont like putting internal paper tapes on and skimming over them filler is an air drying compound? however old shitebag painter with us would bed his internals with finish/readymix and place the tape and hed then slap his 6" brush in the tub (didnt apply pressure to the tape or anything and slap more on top then hit it with an internal float spent many days arguing with him and he was always right! 3-6 months maybe 1 year later back re doing all his work yet he still knows best!

Thanks

I am only just starting , so i just wanted to make sure am doing things the right way, i didnt mean to upset any one.TT
    You didnt upset me. I had a cup of coffee in one hand, toast in the other and no time to spare this morning. I found that book i mentioned and will create a pdf document this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishlad2k10 View Post
    are these courses worth while going on alex? are they like a couple of days or a day or what? i dont like putting internal paper tapes on and skimming over them filler is an air drying compound? however old shitebag painter with us would bed his internals with finish/readymix and place the tape and hed then slap his 6" brush in the tub (didnt apply pressure to the tape or anything and slap more on top then hit it with an internal float spent many days arguing with him and he was always right! 3-6 months maybe 1 year later back re doing all his work yet he still knows best!
    Mine was 4 or 5 day mate and i only went on it so i could hire some tools, as once upon a time gyproc were fussy who they sent them to. I had been doing the job for 3 to 4 years and could already do the job but wasn't too familiar with the taping gun and its workings so for the couple of hundred bucks i spent, i would say it was worth the money. Do you use filler to stick internals on? I apply internal corner tapes with an air drying joint compound, but i have made exceptions for small jobs i needed finished sharpish but the only setting compound i would use is easi-fill because an angle head drags like a car with the handbrake on with fast set. Air drying compound over a setting compound, but never the other way around.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

We bed the tape,leave it dry for a day and second coat it the next day.you should not get any problems using this method.housebashers do it in one day as they don't give a shit,problems later on.

Thanks

I think their was a tread on here , about what people where using on the flats, and some people where using skrim, on flats, not paper tape.
    This is where i am getting a bit confused. I have tried both, and still unsure what one is best.

TT

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I think their was a tread on here , about what people where using on the flats, and some people where using skrim, on flats, not paper tape.
    This is where i am getting a bit confused. I have tried both, and still unsure what one is best.

TT
    We use scrim on flats and paper on corners.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Mine was 4 or 5 day mate and i only went on it so i could hire some tools, as once upon a time gyproc were fussy who they sent them to. I had been doing the job for 3 to 4 years and could already do the job but wasn't too familiar with the taping gun and its workings so for the couple of hundred bucks i spent, i would say it was worth the money. Do you use filler to stick internals on? I apply internal corner tapes with an air drying joint compound, but i have made exceptions for small jobs i needed finished sharpish but the only setting compound i would use is easi-fill because an angle head drags like a car with the handbrake on with fast set. Air drying compound over a setting compound, but never the other way around.

ah i see see someone mentioned hiring them but no1 where i am has them on hire just drywall flex sanders at 150 per week! they can ram that ima buy another 60 ebay job 2 prong from germany with the 2-3 prong adapter got 2 and a half years outa the last one for 60 cant complain will have to look into those corses any idea where/who has info on them alex?

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jase hag View Post
    We bed the tape,leave it dry for a day and second coat it the next day.you should not get any problems using this method.housebashers do it in one day as they don't give a shit,problems later on.
    Oi I resemble that remark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jase hag View Post
    We use scrim on flats and paper on corners.
    me too jase unless its old plasterboard and all the tapes are buggerd or it was never taped before just fillerd and painted but then its a different ballgame having to use readymix finish filler as fast set/ joint filler dosnt adhere to the painted surfaces and then all flats get done with paper too.

some people on here will highly criticise me over this but ive been back to many jobs to make sure the tapes aint split etc 5 years on....... guess what? still all solid so critics can sook my plums!

Thanks

I have my first few big jobs to do next month, spray on excting plaster so that one is ok, then i have my first new build, we are boarding and spraying, so this will be my test to get things right, as the builder says if he is happy with the finish we will have all his work.
    So i hope i can shine and do a great job.

TT

Thanks

I have my first few big jobs to do next month, spray on excting plaster so that one is ok, then i have my first new build, we are boarding and spraying, so this will be my test to get things right, as the builder says if he is happy with the finish we will have all his work.
    So i hope i can shine and do a great job.

TT
    aslong as there framing etc is alright im sure youl be alright good luck tictac and get some pics uploaded before during and after

Thread Information