Thread: Drywalling in Mainland China, white glue joints and "nizi"

Thanks

Default Drywalling in Mainland China, white glue joints and "nizi"

In China one buys an unfinished home and "renovates" it, which I am in the process of doing. The walls are concrete or brick covered (leveled) with a 2cm (or so) thick mixture of sand (fine to pearl tapioca size), cement and water and then finished with a thin layer of white "nizi" (translates as "putty", but isn't) which dries like joint compound and works somewhat like a fast-dry (hot?) compound. A home here is incomplete without a fancy celiling complete with dropped sections and extruded plaster moldings. The dropped sections are framed with wood strips measuring about 3/4 inches x 1 inch and covered with drywall much like ours but very thin, about 8mm I believe.

When I went to buy materials to tape the joint they sold me paper tape (like ours) and white glue (ie, wood glue). I also bought nizi to cover some unfinished cementious walls and (I hope) to texture some ceilings and walls (something I have never seen done in China).

I started using the nizi to tape the drywall joints and the worker who boarded it freaked out and confirmed that I should be using white glue. My Chinese isn't that great but I think he was telling me to cover the tape with the plaster of paris that was used by the electrician to hold in place the pipes he buried in the walls. He thought I was crazy to continue as I was and wondered if I had ever done this job before (I have, but it is not my profession).

Questions:
    1) Has anyone ever used white glue to tape joints, and if so do you have any tips or other advice. In fairness to the Chinese their ceilings generally look great (when a good tradesman does the work) despite working with inferior tools and materials.
    2) Does anyone know what this nizi is, what consistency to mix it to, whether it is good to use to tape joints, and whether it is good to use to texture ceilings or walls. Does it need to be painted?

Many thanks to anyone who can shed some light here.

Thanks

I have been on a job where another contractor was kicked off sticking all the tapes on with PVA glue. There were bubbles, dry tapes, and creases everywhere and we removed around 90% of them.

There is tape on the market called Wet n Stick (link) that you can drop in a bucket of water to activate the glue and it will work if your boarding is perfect. However, how would you attach external corners which there will be on partially dropped ceilings? You also have to either screw some plasterers beads on or use some setting compound / hot mud to fix drywall corner tape. I have never heard of nizi, but would use this product if the rest of my walls and ceilings had been skimmed with the same product and everyone else in China uses it.

If their method works you should copy it. Welcome to the site by the way.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and for the feedback. Kaifeng (where I am) is considered a small town (only about 1.5 million or so) and as such it is difficult to impossible to find many tools or products though some might be found through the internet. Corner beads for example do not exist in Kaifeng and they simply glue the paper tape to external corners. I had my wife search for a corner knife online and nobody she talked to had even heard of such a thing, "they" being the painting contractor whose job it is to make the walls flat and tape any joints. It is actually impressive how good a job these guys do, though a close up inspection soon reveals the difference having good tools and products makes.

Thanks

I googled NIZI and all I got was Sushi Restaurants!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    I googled NIZI and all I got was Sushi Restaurants!
    Google and my spellchecker best search terms returned were those German folks from WW2.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (12-08-2013)

Thread Information