Thread: free taping job

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Default free taping job

not sure where to post this. could interest people around the Toronto area. offering a DIY taping job for free, can it be true?
    http://www.torontoschoolofdrywall.com/freebasementfinishing.htm
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the_tapeinator For This Useful Post:

admin (22-06-2009)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    228 Posts

Lightbulb

This could be a sales gimmick because by their own admission you could wait forever if you choose option 1.

But the more I think about it, if I was providing a free labour service then I would be fully booked up for years in advance.
    Its a different concept and I've only ever seen one company try something like this in the UK (not the free labour part and theyre not getting a link, sorry) An all in one drywall training college and contractors got me thinking, good luck to them
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I have to admit I like the idea and even subscribed to their newletter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Wink I smell a, well not a rat, but possibly a polecat

This sounds like a great way to move apprentices through to cherrypick enough good ones to recruit a contracting company. I am kind of jealous, instead of losing production while i trained someone green, i could have CHARGED them to learn. I may, Perhaps, be cynical.
    Although the idea had occured to me as a way to bring folks who needed a break into the trade. My brother is an actor and i trained him for a year and half so that he could , if times were lean, make his way with a simple selection of tools doing basements and bathrooms.
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default let me clarify...

I am NOT saying i think this outfit is scamming, I am saying I might have if I came up with a pay to learn school. I haven't heard anything about this outfit. They could be great.
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I would love to get the owner on here as he has a lot of experience, unfortunately the site had a few dead links and no way to contact him via email.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    228 Posts

I've just sent the owner an email a moment ago and they're running a 10 week taping course starting on September 15th.
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Official Response from Toronto School of Drywall

Greetings to all,

I was just made aware of this forum. My name is Sean Gobeil and I am the founder and President of Toronto School of Drywall. I can assure you that we do not scam anyone - but I understand the concerns over getting stuff "free". I am the first to be skeptical.

HOW IT WORKS:

In Ontario, Canada, it is illegal for any organization to benefit from the work of students. Because, as you, my esteemed colleagues are well aware, to learn drywall finishing you need some theoretical guidance and teaching and a WHOLE LOT of hands-on practice. We have a choice - maintain a facility where we build and tear down training stations OR do real work on real jobs. So our program is a win-win. the homeowner gets work done for free and we keep our overhead low and the students benefit from real-life situations in their training.

Why are we not booked for years to come? First because our classes are in the 10 people range. Therefore we need as large as possible training grounds. That would not be a problem if it weren't for the other reasons. Second, we ONLY do the taping. Third, students are NOT ON PRODUCTION - they are there to learn and that takes time. Usually projects that are at the taping stage are already very far past scheduled deadlines and nobody has patience for "whoops - I just dropped all the mud off my hawk, let me spend an hour cleaning my laces!" OR for "It's 3 PM - class is over - see you tomorrow!". Fourth, it's a waiting game for those who register. We call them when we're ready to use their site - which could take weeks, months, years, never. That is because it depends on class schedules, the suitability of the job site, the location of the job site, the class size and where they are at in terms of their training and skill level.

I'm happy to have discovered your forum. I cannot promise to visit regularly but I will certainly try to stop in from time to time!

Regards,

Sean

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toronto School of Drywall For This Useful Post:

amestaper (10-09-2009), Lightrock (13-09-2009)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    228 Posts

Who said this job wasnt complicated? you've got far more logistical problems and need more patience than any other contractors Sean. But i bet you job satisfaction is through the roof when your students have completed the course successfully?

For what its worth I think its a smashing idea, its good to see you here.

I wouldnt worry about not visiting often, the forums only 9 months old and theres very few season ticket holders at this point in time anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

that is a good work around. All the best.

Thread Information