Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Cool Women in construction, discuss?

Was watching the news today. Astins - a company who regularly hires tape & Jointers - are on a drive to increase the amount of women in construction. They've been training up a few Dry liners. Thought it would be nice to get a few views/experiences/opinions

BBC Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8127161.stm

Facts & Info:

1% of manual construction workers are female

Social stigma or perceptions towards women’s physical capability usually prevent entry

Discussion:
    Have you ever worked along side a women (that was not your wife/girlfriend)?

Do you think given the challenging economic conditions it is the right time to roll out such schemes?

Can women do just as good a job a man?

Would be happy working with a women?

(I expect the deluge of 'if she's fit & blond' then I don't mind - but hopefully there will also be a good amount of constructive discussion)

Let the comments begin!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to willis For This Useful Post:

admin (03-07-2009)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I think starting a scheme like this in the current climate, considering there is a lot of unemployment among existing trades, is unwise. Especially if it's at the expense of experienced tradesmen being shown the door to accomodate some penpushing politically correct goverment scheme that's being introduced by people interested in gaining votes instead of caring about unemployed construction workers welfare. Why specifically target females, shouldn't the the most suitable candidate get an apprenticeship?

Who knows, maybe it is the right time to start a recruitment drive for when the recession ends? Personally I believe it's just a numbers game and flooding more skilled workers into an industry that already has the highest unemployment rate for any workforce sector doesn't help matters.

That applies for both male and female apprentices.

In case I get crucified for not expressing my point clearly, I've came across female painters and plumbers before and have no problem with their quality of work.

Very good post Willis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I worked at the same site as a husband and wife taping team around 15 years ago and on the same jobs as decorators, sparks and plumbers. Really not unusual anymore if you're around at the painting stage of a job because a few women are doing the interior designing.

Hey at least women can multitask.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I think starting a scheme like this in the current climate, considering there is a lot of unemployment among existing trades, is unwise.... politically correct goverment scheme that's being introduced by people interested in gaining votes instead of caring about unemployed construction workers welfare.Very good post Willis.
    I also initially thought this - as in i don't think this is the right time for such a things.

However, a counter argument would be is that there just trying to re-address the balance - as females have been discouraged from manual labor in the past. Also bear in mind gone are the days where you have to lug heavy machines around - most machines are portable and fairly light - so no problem for females.

I'm not sure - i'll up for 100% equal equality - interesting to see what other think.

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

wonder if any will still be interested when the course progreses to the sanding stage?
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the_tapeinator For This Useful Post:

ricky1434 (16-12-2009)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hve mental pictures of a lady shriekng in horror when her finger nails break and she gets her first wet neck tie after gunning tapes onto a ceiling dosnt stick as well as she planned.
    If you don't find this funny then I have a better imagination than you.

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naughtyboy View Post
    I hve mental pictures of a lady shriekng in horror when her finger nails break and she gets her first wet neck tie after gunning tapes onto a ceiling dosnt stick as well as she planned.
    If you don't find this funny then I have a better imagination than you.
    i would pay to see that
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by willis View Post
    (I expect the deluge of 'if she's fit & blond' then I don't mind - but hopefully there will also be a good amount of constructive discussion)
    Careful lads, there is at least one female member here who still wishes to remain anonymous. Unfortunately she couldn't comment anyway as she's on holiday with all her blond, fit and incredibly sexy friends. Mrs Admin also reads the forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I think starting a scheme like this in the current climate, considering there is a lot of unemployment among existing trades, is unwise. Especially if it's at the expense of experienced tradesmen being shown the door to accomodate some penpushing politically correct goverment scheme that's being introduced by people interested in gaining votes instead of caring about unemployed construction workers welfare. Why specifically target females, shouldn't the the most suitable candidate get an apprenticeship?
    That was my first thought. all those years of experience would be wasted.
    If I could do it all again I would avoid construction altogether.

Had more to say but the Desert Classic darts finals about to start

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JPxTPxMP View Post
    Had more to say but the Desert Classic darts finals about to start
    Finals night was the only one I managed to catch. No surprise who won it was there?

Anyway, let's get back to topic.

Thread Information