Thread: Contact lenses

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Default Contact lenses

Does any one wear contacts for jointing like me, how do you get on with them ?

For jointing I cant work without them, glasses are impossible they just steam up and slide off my nose when I sweat. The real problem is sanding down I cant wear my contacts the dust just kills them in minutes so I just work by touch then check after with my glasses on.

I have thought about investing in a full face mask but in the past I have tried like a welders shield only clear and all that happened was the dust settled on it and I couldn't see any thing. I know there are some that blow air from a pump across the screen to keep it clear of dust but as yet I havnt found any where that sells them and I think they will be expensive. Does any one use a full face mask if so how do you get on with it.

Thanks

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

need a set of wipers on them E.K

Thanks

The guy that invents glasses with wipers will be an instant billionaire!

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Oddly enough I was on site the other day another taper turned up to sand his house he uses a sanding machine but without a hoover because he says its to clumsy, to combat the dust he wore a Moldex full face dust mask so I had a play and it seemed fine, he said it did get a build up of dust on the lens but he just wiped it off periodically. I had a look at them online and they do protective (rip offs) to stop the main lens from getting scratched. Soooooo Bollox I bought one it arrived today and I will be sanding my next house with my contacts in.

Thanks

Can you post a link for the mask?
    i don't want to buy one but could do with a laugh

7. The Following User Says Thank You to E.K Taper For This Useful Post:

Beermonster (27-02-2014)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dillon For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (28-02-2014)

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

After almost 30 years of sanding, and picking those white maggots out of my eyes after,i really would like your oppinion on this mate. Have tried glasses to protect them but with sweat and dust, sometimes they can smudge. This looks like dust could fall off and be easier to clean.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Will do M8 im the same I recon doing this job has been a contributing factor to my poor eyesight. I bought the lens protectors with the mask and im thinking of using a dusting brush to flick and excess off. Compressed air in a can would be great but expensive I recon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dillon For This Useful Post:

forestbhoy (01-03-2014)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Ok here we go Im not one for beating about the bush and a spade is a spade. I bought this full face dust mask so I could sand down wearing my Contact lenses this would allow me to then continue jointing if I wanted to. Today I used it for the first time and I guess there is good and bad to report the good is I can indeed wear my lenses and the mask does keep the dust from my eyes 100%, After I have gone round with my sander I like to get up on my stilts and go round the top tapes with a sanding sponge block which is where I used to suffer the dust the most but this is no longer a problem.

The disadvantages well it gets very warm and I sweated a lot, not a major problem and I suspect I'll get used to that, As I expected the dust soon gathers on the mask lens. The mask came with a protective clear film over the actual lens and I also bought some replacements so I could try the keep the lens scratch free but the problem is the dust does get in between the lens and the film so vision is impaired but not too bad. Once home you can give it a wash and fit a new film if required and your good to go again. The fact is having a bit of dust on the lens is much better than not wearing my contacts and having the dust in my eyes and as I sit here after a days sanding my eyes are as normal as any other day.

My Verdict is Not perfect but much better than not wearing one and I shall continue to use it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dillon For This Useful Post:

forestbhoy (06-03-2014)

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Ok here we go Im not one for beating about the bush and a spade is a spade. I bought this full face dust mask so I could sand down wearing my Contact lenses this would allow me to then continue jointing if I wanted to. Today I used it for the first time and I guess there is good and bad to report the good is I can indeed wear my lenses and the mask does keep the dust from my eyes 100%, After I have gone round with my sander I like to get up on my stilts and go round the top tapes with a sanding sponge block which is where I used to suffer the dust the most but this is no longer a problem.

The disadvantages well it gets very warm and I sweated a lot, not a major problem and I suspect I'll get used to that, As I expected the dust soon gathers on the mask lens. The mask came with a protective clear film over the actual lens and I also bought some replacements so I could try the keep the lens scratch free but the problem is the dust does get in between the lens and the film so vision is impaired but not too bad. Once home you can give it a wash and fit a new film if required and your good to go again. The fact is having a bit of dust on the lens is much better than not wearing my contacts and having the dust in my eyes and as I sit here after a days sanding my eyes are as normal as any other day.

My Verdict is Not perfect but much better than not wearing one and I shall continue to use it.
    Cheers,im going to look into this soon.

Thread Information