Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default A fresh start in a new country?

Real-Debrid

There are journeymen, ex-pats, immigrants and emigrants who read the forum on a regular basis. Would you be interested in sharing your 'know-how' and familiarity about starting a new life in another country? Or perhaps you are in the process of moving abroad?

I can use a conversation I had with a motor mechanic I know last week as an example. It began with a heated discussion over a beer and I heard some strong opinions regarding a bad experience he had after going to work in the Middle East a few years ago. He was promised a huge tax free salary and would become rich beyond his wildest dreams....

The reality was not what was offered.

His passport was taken from him on arrival by his new employers. He was given menial tasks to perform and felt he was treated and spoken to with racist disrespect (his words) despite being highly skilled in his profession. Alcohol was frowned upon which he accepted as he was a guest in a Muslim country. Whilst eating out he was kept apart from the locals with large screens so they couldn't hear or see any foreigners. (Deep South tension and South African Apartheid were mentioned as a comparison) He came back to Spain on holiday after 12 months over there and never returned to pick up his belongings.

There are currently thousands of tradesmen leaving the UK to look for opportunities in other areas of the world and I can't say I blame them considering the lack of work and cynicism for the future. Surely every hard working man deserves an opportunity for a better life?

Have you been treated the same after coming to the UK to live and work?

Advice, tips, where to travel, where not to travel, taking the wife and kids along, visa's, work permits, green cards, agencies to get you started, etc, etc are the topics I hope to start a discussion on.

Good and bad experiences are equally welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I don't intend on staying in the UK much longer in the best interests of my kids futures. I could go to Spain and work in a matter of weeks but I'm interested in any comments from members in Australia and Canada.

Do we have any members from Oz?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    I could go to Spain and work in a matter of weeks
    I wouldn't. The Spanish building industry is in a worse state than the UK and there's probably millions of vacant properties.

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Do we have any members from Oz?
    Yes, hsv609 is one I'm aware of but he's a zero poster.
    Last edited by admin; 12-07-2009 at 08:55 PM. Reason: comment about Spanish site work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I'd go tomorrow if someone offered me a job. I absolutely detest this country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Default english in canada

well. Oz has better weather if you like heat. i find i can dress for cold but heat leaves me sweaty and irritable.
    i hate to admit it but Canadians look up to the English with an almost pathetic awe. that said; we are as arrogant as trades anywhere, so we expect to be revered for knowing what we are doing (even when it's obvious). so if we have to explain the differences in our techniques, we'll go all pompous on ya. if that isn't deterrent enough, come on over. it'd be nice to learn english from a tradesman for a change. I have no idea what our wait times are like, but i have a friend trying to get into Australia since this time last year, and his application will be looked at next year. I seem to recall that a canadian company can sponsor a tradesman's immigration providing we can demontrate that we have tried to fill the vacancy locally without qualified response. the thought of wading through all the crap who have been let go around here in the last year is daunting. but if you can plaster... well we have VERY few of those. i don't know any. that might be an avenue.
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightrock For This Useful Post:

admin (13-07-2009)

Thread Information