Thread: Methods and Materials

Thanks

Post Methods and Materials

Hello everyone, I have been reading many of the old threads and really enjoy reading your posts but I have a couple questions. I notice that you call some mud "filler", is that a different type of compound other than all purpose? Do you use any light weight compound? I have read some threads on external corners but has anyone tried Trim Tex mud lock plastic bead? Before anyone asks, no I do not work for trim Tex, just curious

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

Hi McCallum
    Yes, "Filler" is different to AP, Filler is Hot Mud or Fast set, most guys (not all ) use Filler as the first coat with scrim tape (mesh) and for bedding on Flex tape, (corner bead)
    I think quite a few of us (not all) use Lite mud, just been using USG Blue top on top of Green top
    As for the Trim Tex stuff, Belmore boy (Marcus) is selling it, I've yet to try it, I take it you rate it quite highly?

Thanks

In my opinion their plastic beads are far superior then the other plastic stuff available here, I have just never been a big fan of the plastic because it always seems to crack after a month or two. Also I have some crews that work by the square foot and they are all about speed and don't always fasten it properly and I can't watch them all day. That's why I have always used the paper faced beads because they don't seem to crack as much as the others but I was able to go to the Trim Tex design center for their two day training on specialty beads. That's where they showed me the durability test on the different beads and the mudlock stood up better than the paper faced. Its plastic but mudded on similar to the paper faced. We have been using it a couple weeks and I like it personally because it's a lot cheaper than the paper faced but my other finishers like the paper faced better. We haven't been using it long enough to see how it holds up in the long run, I was just curious if any of you have used it yet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to McCallum and Sons Drywall For This Useful Post:

Brian S (22-03-2014)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McCallum and Sons Drywall View Post
    In my opinion their plastic beads are far superior then the other plastic stuff available here, I have just never been a big fan of the plastic because it always seems to crack after a month or two. Also I have some crews that work by the square foot and they are all about speed and don't always fasten it properly and I can't watch them all day. That's why I have always used the paper faced beads because they don't seem to crack as much as the others but I was able to go to the Trim Tex design center for their two day training on specialty beads. That's where they showed me the durability test on the different beads and the mudlock stood up better than the paper faced. Its plastic but mudded on similar to the paper faced. We have been using it a couple weeks and I like it personally because it's a lot cheaper than the paper faced but my other finishers like the paper faced better. We haven't been using it long enough to see how it holds up in the long run, I was just curious if any of you have used it yet.
    I did my dads house using Trim-Tex beads and they r fine! Joe sent me them over free 2 try!! (And that was about a year ago)
    But there r new low profile beads that Belmore r getting in soon so they will b next 2 try!
    I can understand why ur finishers don't like them but its just a bit of practice with them that's needed! They leave a nice sharp corner and straight!

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    I did my dads house using Trim-Tex beads and they r fine! Joe sent me them over free 2 try!! (And that was about a year ago)
    But there r new low profile beads that Belmore r getting in soon so they will b next 2 try!
    I can understand why ur finishers don't like them but its just a bit of practice with them that's needed! They leave a nice sharp corner and straight!

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO Finally they are here and they look great!!! ( sending you some to have a go with beermonster) pricing to follow - will probably post a complete stock list and price list up on here in the next couple of days - also have some freebies to send out will add a link to form to fill in so i can mail out free samples to all T & J members
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by belmoreboy View Post
    WOOOOOO HOOOOOO Finally they are here and they look great!!! ( sending you some to have a go with beermonster) pricing to follow - will probably post a complete stock list and price list up on here in the next couple of days - also have some freebies to send out will add a link to form to fill in so i can mail out free samples to all T & J members
    Good stuff!! Now answer my text!!!!
    Better make it a couple of boxes as its some job I started today!!

Thanks

2.4m or 3.0 m?
    01603 787464

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by belmoreboy View Post
    2.4m or 3.0 m?
    Think 3m would b best for this place!!

Thanks

I always use synko mud, yellow for taping and green (lite finish) for coating, beadex paper bead which I run through a bead box. I never use hot mud and have a very low opinion of it as it never sands right and leaves bad edges that normal mud never seems to leave. Always paper tape and I prefer super taper to bazooka/banjo. I use my mud tube to put water in my mud and that allows me to always put the same amount of water for each process, half a tube for coating, full tube for bead mud and 3 tubes for taping. The main reason I use a super taper is that it saves mud and allows me to change viscosities, thinner mud for angles so I don't have to roll just flush and a little thicker for flats/buts to fill bevels and make coating easier. Hawk and trowel over pan & knife any day and I use a 10" and 12" flatboxes on flats and ceiling buts. I finish angles with a 3.5" can-am flusher and apply mud with tube which imo leaves the best quality angle possible compared to other tools.

Thanks

Using mud tube to gauge water, never thought of that great idea
    01603 787464

Thanks

Any update on these plastic beads? Im looking for a alternative to metal skim beads to use in when we do "airless plastering".

After reading lots of info it would seem that "airless plastering" is in fact tape and jointing and I am no longer a plasterer!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by currierplastering View Post
    Any update on these plastic beads? Im looking for a alternative to metal skim beads to use in when we do "airless plastering".

After reading lots of info it would seem that "airless plastering" is in fact tape and jointing and I am no longer a plasterer!
    I don't know what materials they have where you are but I use beadex paper bead and trim-tex makes plastic beads but I find paper so much easier to run though my bead box. Metal bead sucks imo.

Thread Information