Thread: what is dot and dab?

Thanks

Default what is dot and dab?

i have a ruff idea but how is this any better tahn a floated plaster wall? plasterer said he wud rather skim this than bare wall but im worried about heat retention and cracks appearring. second opinion needed thanks.

Thanks

Dot dab is basically plasterboard/drywall/sheetrock or whatever you want to call it bonded to a solid surface behind with a setting adhesive. Is there a reason he would rather DD the wall? The boards are not as tough as a float finish but it might be cleaner and quicker dependent on a number of things. You could tape or plaster it. Insulation and cracking shouldnt be a problem if its fitted correctly. You never said what size the job is, what state it's in or what surface it will be bonded to.
    I rarely do this so I've sent an SOS to a plasterer to come and leave a comment, why don't you come back and give some more details?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

angel (21-07-2009)

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks

scuse my bluntness but why would you need a second opinion if you employed a profesional in the first place?
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks

Default dot dab

i need to know what the back ground is ?
    1... if exsisting background is old plaster apply fibre tape at all angles and on any existing cracks,then apply 2 coats of p.v.a letting the first coat compleatly dry first then skim with thistle multi finish or thistle board finish.
    2....if on to bear bricks or blockwork or stone i.e new build 2 coat plasterwork on longer meets the insulation values and is no longer used unless extra insulation is built in the cavity! in such cases i would recomend fitting a 18mm x 38mm (tile batten ) 50mm from floor tis gives you 12.5mm plasterboard 5mm plaster skim coat and the rest for thistle dry wall adhesive

hope this helps but i need more info

6. The Following User Says Thank You to skimzz For This Useful Post:

angel (21-07-2009)

Thanks

Room is 5x4m. existing brick walls are full of big holes and channels cut afetr whole house was rewired. 2 walls are exterior with if it makes any difference. plasterer reckons this will be quicker. thanks for replys

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks

do you think your guy is ripping you off? how well do you know him and does he have a good rep? i wouldnt be happy if i was doing your work and found you asked for another opinion before I finished the job. sounds like he wants to do dotdab with insulation in mind or to hide a shedload of raggles and patches. either way time is money, and if he can do it faster then let him do his job without interfearing
    better discuss this with him if in doubt
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks

If the walls are a state but solid enough to stick drywall adhesive then go for it. You would be surprised how many renovations in old buildings have this done to exterior walls but you dont see it cos its taped or plastered. It might piss a plasterer off in terms of job satisfaction instead of a sand, cement.. bonding ?? skim finish orwhatever it needs to finish it but if your guy says you should ,then listen to him.
    Last edited by JPxTPxMP; 23-07-2009 at 09:39 PM.

Thread Information