Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Internal setup/process

  1. #1
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cornwall UK
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Smile Internal setup/process


    I was hoping to get some advice on improving my internal corner setup as currently it's the slowest link in my process. I'm currently using BG joint filler applied by hand on flats then 8" & 10" boxing with Smartmix. In the depths of winter I go with 2 x joint filler and 1 x smartmix.
    Externals are always paper faced beadex set and coated with JF then a second coat of JF and a final coat of smartmix.
    My internals are currently all done by hand and it's gruellingly slow. 1x JF, 1x smartmix with corner trowel.
    I have my old premier 3" angle head and 7" angle box that I've just done some maintenance on and just purchased a new Colombia 3.5" angle head too so looking to get a more auto internal process.

    Im looking at buying a Homax banjo with the creaser wheel for setting the internal tape. What's the best way to proceed from there? Corner roller or BTE combo flusher? 2" or 3"?
    Once the tape is flushed/rolled do you go straight over it with the first angle head coat or wait for it to dry in first?
    Are folks in the UK, especially in winter, setting paper tape with fast set or premix?
    I'm reluctant to go down the bazooka route because I just wouldn't trust setting everything purely with smartmix when it's cold and damp in winter. Could take weeks to dry out properly.

    With the banjo would you apply the tape to internals with joint filler, roll it in and leave to go off, then run an angle head with smartmix over that for the first coat or just flush it with the joint filler while bedding the tape?

    Sorry for a million questions and appreciate the help.

  2. #2
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    CHELTENHAM
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    I was hoping to get some advice on improving my internal corner setup as currently it's the slowest link in my process. I'm currently using BG joint filler applied by hand on flats then 8" & 10" boxing with Smartmix. In the depths of winter I go with 2 x joint filler and 1 x smartmix.
    Externals are always paper faced beadex set and coated with JF then a second coat of JF and a final coat of smartmix.
    My internals are currently all done by hand and it's gruellingly slow. 1x JF, 1x smartmix with corner trowel.
    I have my old premier 3" angle head and 7" angle box that I've just done some maintenance on and just purchased a new Colombia 3.5" angle head too so looking to get a more auto internal process.

    Im looking at buying a Homax banjo with the creaser wheel for setting the internal tape. What's the best way to proceed from there? Corner roller or BTE combo flusher? 2" or 3"?
    Once the tape is flushed/rolled do you go straight over it with the first angle head coat or wait for it to dry in first?
    Are folks in the UK, especially in winter, setting paper tape with fast set or premix?
    I'm reluctant to go down the bazooka route because I just wouldn't trust setting everything purely with smartmix when it's cold and damp in winter. Could take weeks to dry out properly.

    With the banjo would you apply the tape to internals with joint filler, roll it in and leave to go off, then run an angle head with smartmix over that for the first coat or just flush it with the joint filler while bedding the tape?

    Sorry for a million questions and appreciate the help.
    I use a corner roller and premier corner applicator. I also use a mud tube and flusher. Try ebay to get your flushers. Our friends across the pond seem to put the tapes on bazooka banjo supertaper and roll and then use a flusher 3'' then 4'' but I see some do 4'' then 3'' but see what suits you from job to job and time of year.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ALROH57 For This Useful Post:

    prjwebb (28-07-2014)

  4. #3
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    CHELTENHAM
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALROH57 View Post
    I use a corner roller and premier corner applicator. I also use a mud tube and flusher. Try ebay to get your flushers. Our friends across the pond seem to put the tapes on bazooka banjo supertaper and roll and then use a flusher 3'' then 4'' but I see some do 4'' then 3'' but see what suits you from job to job and time of year.
    It goes on thinner with a flusher so it dries quicker.

  5. #4
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    CHELTENHAM
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ALROH57 View Post
    It goes on thinner with a flusher so it dries quicker.
    Saying that last year I worked with some chaps that fastsetted internals they used p.v.a. in their mix 1st coat and finished with a flusher with joint cement in the afternoon.

  6. #5
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cornwall UK
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Thanks ALOH57.

    What is the advantage of using a flusher over the angle-heads I already have?
    How about bedding tapes with banjo using thinned down smartmix, roll in with colombia corner roller, sweep with 3.5" colombia angle head with the angle box, let dry and then sweep with 3" premier angle head on the angle box? Obviously will need to tidy up 3ways by hand.
    In the winter I'd possibly switch to bedding the tapes with joint filler. By then I'll hopefully be a decent with the banjo...
    If I don't need to buy additional flushers when I have the angle heads that's good, but if the flushers are a good idea I'll happily give them a shot. If I do use the angle heads is it better to go smallest first or start with the largest? I've seen conflicting views on that.

    Also is the colombia roller the way to go? I see belmore sells a cheaper one. Iceni... any one have any experience with that? http://www.belmoretools.co.uk/acatal...er-Roller.html
    Buy cheap buy twice?

    Thanks again.

  7. #6
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    CHELTENHAM
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    Thanks ALOH57.

    What is the advantage of using a flusher over the angle-heads I already have?
    How about bedding tapes with banjo using thinned down smartmix, roll in with colombia corner roller, sweep with 3.5" colombia angle head with the angle box, let dry and then sweep with 3" premier angle head on the angle box? Obviously will need to tidy up 3ways by hand.
    In the winter I'd possibly switch to bedding the tapes with joint filler. By then I'll hopefully be a decent with the banjo...
    If I don't need to buy additional flushers when I have the angle heads that's good, but if the flushers are a good idea I'll happily give them a shot. If I do use the angle heads is it better to go smallest first or start with the largest? I've seen conflicting views on that.

    Also is the colombia roller the way to go? I see belmore sells a cheaper one. Iceni... any one have any experience with that? http://www.belmoretools.co.uk/acatal...er-Roller.html
    Buy cheap buy twice?

    Thanks again.
    I do commercial work and water is a problem, such as distance & quality of who uses it who cleans in it & who pisses in it. Getting stuff around and as you know drywall kit sprouts legs when you dont watch it. Your 3 ways can be done with a flusher no more picking. How you use them is a choice that you make when you find your OWN system that suits you !.
    Corner rollers I think are a choice of the operator some are good some ok.We are all diffrent such as weight ,height, build, ect what suits you might not suit me. I have and old paint roller without the fleece I use in small areas and a Premier for the longer ones. I also have a 2'' combi flusher(great for scissor lifts) that rolls & flusher at the same time. Where time is an issue I dont think any way is the wrong way as long as you get a good job. You could try a mud tube (quick to clean) with a compound head on wheels put the tape on, same compound head let the head roll as you go along putting a coat of mud on top then flush. I,m afraid it it what suits you and the job in hand.Hope that helps you out. Mabe you could borrow some kit say on a Saturday to try out, Try before you buy

  8. #7
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    CHELTENHAM
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Should be corner paint roller

  9. #8
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cornwall UK
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Cheers mate.
    Yeah not too many options for demos etc down in west Cornwall. I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and get a bazooka and get it wired. It would always pay for its self on the end.
    I'll see how I go with the banjo, if I can see the potential maybe I'll splash out. Saw a Colombia bazooka end on eBay with no bids at 300 start price the other day. Should have gone for it but it looked a bit rough.

  10. #9
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    CHELTENHAM
    Posts
    130
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    Cheers mate.
    Yeah not too many options for demos etc down in west Cornwall. I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and get a bazooka and get it wired. It would always pay for its self on the end.
    I'll see how I go with the banjo, if I can see the potential maybe I'll splash out. Saw a Colombia bazooka end on eBay with no bids at 300 start price the other day. Should have gone for it but it looked a bit rough.
    I bought a brand spanking speedtape pro off ebay that was mis-listed for 200 and haven't used it yet ! I bought a Banjo last year and used it once for ceilings got covered. Maybe I will try the Homax with the corner tool. But if you go on you tube have a look at the flotrunner, cant get them here but i,m working on it. I,m off work this week waiting for the fixers to catch up as I ran out of work, well all the best. ALAN

  11. #10
    Season Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    521
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 74 Times in 71 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    Cheers mate.
    Yeah not too many options for demos etc down in west Cornwall. I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and get a bazooka and get it wired. It would always pay for its self on the end.
    I'll see how I go with the banjo, if I can see the potential maybe I'll splash out. Saw a Colombia bazooka end on eBay with no bids at 300 start price the other day. Should have gone for it but it looked a bit rough.
    They can all look ruff! But there is nothing that can't b fixed on them.
    Have u looked at level 5? Cheap gun and they r getting pretty good reviews! 5 Year warranty also!

  12. #11
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cornwall UK
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Will have a look. Thanks beer monster.

    I hope the homax isn't too messy, I like to keep as clean as I can while working.

    I've caught up too but have jumped on the boarding to push things on a bit. Nice change and I get to make sure everything is good for taping!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Internal corners
    By Forum2 in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-11-2012, 05:10 PM
  2. Internal before coving!
    By turrican_007 in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •