Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: internal paper tapes

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default internal paper tapes


    Ok so this old guy is using promix finish to apply and overcoat his paper tapes internals and koom tapes, is it just me or is that pure filth? Moans at us for sticking them on with BG fast set and over laying with BG fastset before applying promix to finish them he says we are wrong somehow I believe im right as there is no body nor strength in finish?

  2. #2
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cornwall UK
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    You wouldn't put fastset through an autotaper would you? That said I know a few guys are crazy enough to.
    The yanks do everything with premix compound. As long as it dries properly before the next coat its solid. You want a all purpose 'finish' that is suitable for bedding tapes though. I've never used promix but imagine it's like the gtech smartmix. The only thing they say not to use that for is bedding external beads.
    Fastset is essential if you are using mesh for anything though.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    You wouldn't put fastset through an autotaper would you? That said I know a few guys are crazy enough to.
    The yanks do everything with premix compound. As long as it dries properly before the next coat its solid. You want a all purpose 'finish' that is suitable for bedding tapes though. I've never used promix but imagine it's like the gtech smartmix. The only thing they say not to use that for is bedding external beads.
    Fastset is essential if you are using mesh for anything though.
    lol automatic tapers that sounds like swear words all hand taping here, pro mix is better than the gtec smartmix in my oppinion, so if you were hand taping yous be using a readymix instead of fast set? Big contract 5 days max to tape sand and paint all we get here is GB fastest and promix well there's the gtech bagged stuff that takes hours to go off and smartmix finish

  4. #4
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Cornwall UK
    Posts
    160
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Yeah if you're rushing work to fit someone else's schedule you've got to change your methods and materials to suit the job.
    I don't take jobs like that. If people can't wait an extra day here and there for stuff to dry properly I don't want to work for them. Their payments never seem to be as rapid as they want the work carried out to be either.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    Yeah if you're rushing work to fit someone else's schedule you've got to change your methods and materials to suit the job.
    I don't take jobs like that. If people can't wait an extra day here and there for stuff to dry properly I don't want to work for them. Their payments never seem to be as rapid as they want the work carried out to be either.
    its a mad contract we have 3 + rooms 5 days for joiners 5 for painters no time for readymix drying other than final coat, not too bad some houses take a day after coated to dry some take more. Looking into machines now especially for coating The off angles over 90-150 degrees these are the worst

  6. #6
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 187 Times in 160 Posts

    Default

    Promix finish. Do you mean Promix Lite in the white tubs with the yellow band, because that stuff is utter crap. It's too soft to do anything with?

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    scotland
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Promix finish. Do you mean Promix Lite in the white tubs with the yellow band, because that stuff is utter crap. It's too soft to do anything with?
    yeah that's it Tony used to be in tall tubs then they changed them for stacking so they say now they made it lite and its watery no body and shrinks away to nothing

  8. #8
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 187 Times in 160 Posts

    Default

    I bought a pallet and wished I hadn't

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Internal setup/process
    By prjwebb in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 29-07-2014, 04:26 PM
  2. Internal corners
    By Forum2 in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-11-2012, 05:10 PM
  3. Tapes for sale
    By Gregors in forum Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-10-2012, 09:35 PM
  4. Internal before coving!
    By turrican_007 in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-03-2010, 05:27 PM
  5. Can still see tapes
    By Burdie in forum Painting and decorating
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 03:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •