Thread: Insulation nightmare

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Default Insulation nightmare

Curious as to whether anyone else has encountered the same problem.
    Im taping a timber framed place at the moment, outside walls are 140 Rockwool slabs and boarded with vapour check 12.5mm board.
    Running the boxes today and wondering what the f*ck was going on, boxes set flat and still leaving massive thick lines of compound over the joints. Thinking the blades must be set wrong but on the ceilings its leaving them super tight, almost invisibly thin outside the taper so can't be the box setup.
    After a little investigating it turns out between the studs the board is bellying out and the pulling back where it's screwed so every 300mm is a lump then a trough. There's no way I'm floating that out to lose it so the walls are wavy and I had to trowel off every joint on an outside wall.

Not a fun day on the boxes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    Curious as to whether anyone else has encountered the same problem.
    Im taping a timber framed place at the moment, outside walls are 140 Rockwool slabs and boarded with vapour check 12.5mm board.
    Running the boxes today and wondering what the f*ck was going on, boxes set flat and still leaving massive thick lines of compound over the joints. Thinking the blades must be set wrong but on the ceilings its leaving them super tight, almost invisibly thin outside the taper so can't be the box setup.
    After a little investigating it turns out between the studs the board is bellying out and the pulling back where it's screwed so every 300mm is a lump then a trough. There's no way I'm floating that out to lose it so the walls are wavy and I had to trowel off every joint on an outside wall.

Not a fun day on the boxes.
    Had the same on a job i did. It was in winter and floor screed still wet, about 10mm difference between stud and bow over 300mm, then sealer went mouldy. Nightmare, hope client understands it is not your fault.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I pointed it out to the developer today, he said, 'why did you have to tell me that? I'd have never noticed it other wise...'
    Standard doesn't care as long as it's not costing him money.... Certainly is costing me in time and compound. Another little thing to make the job that little bit shitter, the boxing is normally the enjoyable bit of the job for me!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    I pointed it out to the developer today, he said, 'why did you have to tell me that? I'd have never noticed it other wise...'
    Standard doesn't care as long as it's not costing him money.... Certainly is costing me in time and compound. Another little thing to make the job that little bit shitter, the boxing is normally the enjoyable bit of the job for me!
    I know what you mean, boxing is the best part. The insulation was too thick on my job and pushed against the slightly damp board. Always disappointing when the finish is not what you want, even when its not your fault

Thanks

Wait until the screws start popping

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Wait until the screws start popping
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It's inevitable really. Frustrating because it's beyond my control. Bloody building regs upping the required insulation and the frames not getting wider to accommodate.

Thanks

The boarders should've pointed it out to the developer. I've been thinning down the insulation today where they tried to put 100mm slab into a 90mm CLS stud. Nobody gives a f##k anymore.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Sanded and sealed yesterday. Looks good for now..

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

Tidy fing02.gif

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian S For This Useful Post:

prjwebb (11-10-2014)

Thanks

Makes me laugh 100mm in a 90mm stud the bloody insulation won't be doing its job as it needs a air gap pointless putting thick insulation into walls unless you have a lest 10mm gap for the air.
    Waste of money buy correct insulation and save money and problems

Thread Information