Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: driveshaft quality

Thanks

Default driveshaft quality

Hi, does anyone know where to get some quality driveshafts for a portercable 7800? Have been using them from both walls & ceilings and mostly belmore but don't seem to last, maybe 2 or 3 houses! Just put a head clamp on which has made no difference. Fitted a new driveshaft last night and got 40mins out of it today I'm going mad. I also grease them up too. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by graham2012 View Post
    Hi, does anyone know where to get some quality driveshafts for a portercable 7800? Have been using them from both walls & ceilings and mostly belmore but don't seem to last, maybe 2 or 3 houses! Just put a head clamp on which has made no difference. Fitted a new driveshaft last night and got 40mins out of it today I'm going mad. I also grease them up too. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers
    There must be something wrong with the sleeve that is in!
    I have 2 of them and only broke 1 shaft! And we are speaking lots of use!
    Could be the bearing that's putting load onto it! Not sure Marcus could give u a better idea I would think!

Thanks

I always replace the driveshaft casing too mate but doesn't seem to make a difference even doing that. Think I might buy the menzer sander with the motor attached to the head

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

I always replace the driveshaft casing too mate but doesn't seem to make a difference even doing that. Think I might buy the menzer sander with the motor attached to the head
    O well I'm stumped! 40 mins is out of it so something is def not right!
    I bought a Q-Tech from Marcus and its still going strong!
    I got advised to stay away from the Menzer sander!

Thanks

Never used a Q-Tech before, you rate it then? Used flex giraffe and fox not keen on any of them. Just thinking the menzer would cut out the long driveshaft problem I'm having. Thanks

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Never used a Q-Tech before, you rate it then? Used flex giraffe and fox not keen on any of them. Just thinking the menzer would cut out the long driveshaft problem I'm having. Thanks
    Yea I like it! Bit heavy but ok! I have 2 flex that I don't use no more as they p*ss me of with scratching and stuff!
    Q-Tech I get a bit of vibration through it but nothing to worry about!

Thanks

festool.. motor on head gives plenty of benifits but adds weight when doing ceilings. festool is best.

Thanks

The guy who advised you to stay away from a menzer, did he give you a reason why? Sorry just trying to get as much info as poss before I go and buy a new sander

Thanks

get in contact with paul from walls n c ask to try a festool. if u dont like then nothing lost. just buying blind even with advice from us lot is a risk.. it what u like in the end of the day.
    The guy who advised you to stay away from a menzer, did he give you a reason why? Sorry just trying to get as much info as poss before I go and buy a new sander

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

He just told me he had 1 in the shop and its not the best!

Thanks

Had my Flex about 10 yrs and its still on its original driveshaft. Reckon it's how you treat it. Tried the Festool when they came out and thought it was a well thought out bit of kit, but it ripped fcuk out of the taping, and at 1200 for the sander & hoover, thought better of it.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I agree, mines still on the OG too. I found on ceilings if you're having your rear hand low and bending the head so the whole thing is pointing up it gets hot and causes problems, if you lift your rear hand and keep it flat and in its natural profile it is much lower stress and it'll keep on trucking.
    In reality the sander shouldnt be working hard.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to prjwebb For This Useful Post:

TonyM (24-11-2014)

Thanks

A taper that used to work for me called me a few weeks ago wanting to borrow my sander because he had broken all of his. You can guess my answer.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Yeah Im never a fan of lending mine out either. You know if it breaks they'd just say "oh it would have happened next time you used it anyway"

Thanks

I treat it carefully mate. Always greased and casing changed with every new driveshaft. Had the original one for seven years before it snapped still using it the same way I did for they seven years. I don't lean hard on it either I let the sander do the work but they still snap

Thanks

I treat it carefully mate. Always greased and casing changed with every new driveshaft. Had the original one for seven years before it snapped still using it the same way I did for they seven years. I don't lean hard on it either I let the sander do the work but they still snap
    im the same graham,had my flex for about 10 years,first shaft lasted a couple of years,was goin through about 3 or 4 a year for a while,but on here a while back saw some advice from marcus i think it was,been greasing the shaft every month or so and touch hairy wood its not broke for a while now.

Thanks

Just got a new drive shaft of my ibstock sander the rep said that they only can use there parts it cost me 100 have used it about ten times or so and the driveshaft has went

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big g View Post
    im the same graham,had my flex for about 10 years,first shaft lasted a couple of years,was goin through about 3 or 4 a year for a while,but on here a while back saw some advice from marcus i think it was,been greasing the shaft every month or so and touch hairy wood its not broke for a while now.
    Only time the shaft went pete tong on me, was when i had not greased it for about 4 months. Make sure i do it every few months nowthough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by forestbhoy View Post
    Only time the shaft went pete tong on me, was when i had not greased it for about 4 months. Make sure i do it every few months nowthough.
    I've never taken my driveshaft out.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I've never taken my driveshaft out.
    You have never greased it in 10 years ...?

Thread Information