Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Site work

Thanks

Default Site work

Hi lads I have not done large scale site work for along time now so was offered some houses the other day and had a couple of weeks wait for a job that was meant to kick off Monday held up by the joiners as per any way .
    Met the lad on site told the price ... 1Bedroom bathroom living room kitchen hall stairs and cupboard 3 coats sanded and drywall primer coat Externals and corners galore bad sheeting to boot. Price 405 less tax 81 = 324 ~ derv for transport . If this is what lads are working for they need their heads examined
    its simple all tapers refuse to work for shit prices houses not getting done until the money sorted out .

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

That sucks. Any idea how many m2? And i thought I was too cheap...

Thanks

Days work for some on here.

Thanks

Living room 5x3 bathroom 2x3 kitchen 3x 2.1/2 bedroom 3x3 hall 6x1 m still got a stairs pipe chases windows and door to bead as well

Thanks

Must be some tradesmen can sand and paint wet compound lol

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    Hi lads I have not done large scale site work for along time now so was offered some houses the other day and had a couple of weeks wait for a job that was meant to kick off Monday held up by the joiners as per any way .
    Met the lad on site told the price ... 1Bedroom bathroom living room kitchen hall stairs and cupboard 3 coats sanded and drywall primer coat Externals and corners galore bad sheeting to boot. Price 405 less tax 81 = 324 ~ derv for transport . If this is what lads are working for they need their heads examined
    its simple all tapers refuse to work for shit prices houses not getting done until the money sorted out .
    Stay in bed chief!
    3 coats and primer!!! I honestly hope u told him where to stick it! Materials would be heading 2 at least 250 without ur time!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    Stay in bed chief!
    3 coats and primer!!! I honestly hope u told him where to stick it! Materials would be heading 2 at least 250 without ur time!
    I did that. But fook staying in bed though start another contract in the morning With proper rates of pay mate
    their are too many lads out their selling them self short and putting up with these clowns dictating prices to do a job that at the end of the day sells a home. All tapers and painters get short end of the stick we are the ones that do the finishing of the house getting the job right for the client not the bloody tackers most of carnt join hands never mind gyproc with the shit they leave bust edges gaps all over most of them carnt keep a but joint level and don't get me started about screws heads sticking out or in by the paper doing feck all. Yet it's them that walk away with the largest chunk out the budget can train a monkey to put a screw in clowns.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I try and do the boarding myself where possible. Longer in one place, more money on the job and best of all, tidy boarding to tape.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    Stay in bed chief!
    I think the 405 would be the labour only price BM! Still poor though.
    2 days to tape, and a day to sand and mist coat. you'd need two in the week to work between , giving you 810 for six shifts.
    That's me being optimistic though.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to E.K Taper For This Useful Post:

Beermonster (01-12-2014)

Thanks

Aye that's right labour only ek. We are a 2 man squad we were looking @ 4 block taking 7 days 1620 - 20% 324 =1296 - costs for van lease & derv for the week 170 =1126 ~2 563 ~7 80.42 works out bout 10 per hour
    fook that when I can plaster a room and get paid 400 and be home for 1pm lol it's 9:30 just now we got ceiling and 2 walls skimmed out and laid in lads on the mix for the other 2 walls just now lol the price is shit no matter how you look at it .

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

The people dishing out these prices can't be expecting a proper job surely.
    My old man priced to decorate these 3 beds im taping. Said 1200. The other painter said 800. They gave them to the cheap guy.
    I leave them taped and sealed with universal sealer and looking very tidy for a nice decorating job.
    Painter comes in, hits two at a time spraying everything. Leaves it looking shite, thick texture on the woodwork plus runs, patchy on the walls and ceilings. Paint all over the kitchen and windows...
    4 houses down and my old man is doing the rest.

People need to start thinking about how much people are paying for these places instead of making an extra few hundred quid on a plot.

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

"The people dishing out these prices can't be expecting a proper job surely"

They do mate, they expect first class work.
    Touch wood I've not been on a big site for years, and have no intention of going on one either, they talk to you like sheite, treat you like it, and pay you the same

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    The people dishing out these prices can't be expecting a proper job surely.
    My old man priced to decorate these 3 beds im taping. Said 1200. The other painter said 800. They gave them to the cheap guy.
    I leave them taped and sealed with universal sealer and looking very tidy for a nice decorating job.
    Painter comes in, hits two at a time spraying everything. Leaves it looking shite, thick texture on the woodwork plus runs, patchy on the walls and ceilings. Paint all over the kitchen and windows...
    4 houses down and my old man is doing the rest.

People need to start thinking about how much people are paying for these places instead of making an extra few hundred quid on a plot.
    I'm glad the painter fucked up. Hope it cost the developer money for your dad to put things as they should be. Hopefully taught the developer a lesson. You've got to be a certain breed to tolerate all this bollocks you get on the big sites. Rushing around like a cnut for around 2 a metre, using the cheapest materials you can find, in order to make any money. Being given one or two days to tape a house, and come back to sand it and there's skirting and kitchens fitted. I'd rather starve.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Yeah I don't bother working those kinds of sites either. This one is pretty good, take as long as I want, clear house etc. price is ok.
    Old man said he ain't touching the other guys work haha.

Thanks

Some of you would be horrified with the prices I'm getting by the looks of things

Trouble is the firm I sub for have a massive hold over most of the other drywall firms in Norfolk.

People wonder why I turn down doing 1 house worth 3x more money,but that'll be that 1 house and nothing for another 6 months. I stay with the firm I'm at and they keep me going from one house to the next,I also feel secure about the future and having the work. Big plus points with a 1 year old son!

However,the boarding is shocking,if you started off as a bad jointer you wouldn't be for long due to the problems that you have to overcome in getting it all up finished, ready for sanding. (hence my username!)

Prices will never be as good as before the recession I don't think
    Last edited by Kenya get over this; 02-12-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenya get over this View Post

Prices will never be as good as before the recession I don't think
    I never dropped my rates. In fact, I've put them up, and as I've had enough of taping, my taping rate is gong up again. If I have to do it, it's got to be really worth it.

Thanks

yep tony u got it right there. i work for 2 quid do units in two short days.. mostly doing 4-500 2m units six hours coat up n put tapes in skim bad areas and scrape down come back in morning for 3-4 hours to top off. i use bg filler n arrow or freemans cement. job comes out well. it wotks out @50-60 quid an hour. site agents are fucking monkeys brain damaged mencap cunts but i try and just keep to myself and do my thing. i dont know how much u people think ur worth doing a simple site job..i used to do units that size in 1 day earn 2-3k a week some times more. now i do half that but am much happier lot less stress... as u know tony the hardest part of doing our job is the bordom of doing same easy shit every day. it can be soul destroying.other than that and fucktards building firms like david wilson etc we got nothing to moan about. if ur on a site for d. wilson barrats etc and ur not earning at least 1k a week jointing i sugest u get better or get another job! either way stop moaning about rates @2 pound if ur not earning over 1k a week ur shit at ur job!
    tony non of thats aimed at .. u do a great job and am sure get paid great too lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I'm glad the painter fucked up. Hope it cost the developer money for your dad to put things as they should be. Hopefully taught the developer a lesson. You've got to be a certain breed to tolerate all this bollocks you get on the big sites. Rushing around like a cnut for around 2 a metre, using the cheapest materials you can find, in order to make any money. Being given one or two days to tape a house, and come back to sand it and there's skirting and kitchens fitted. I'd rather starve.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I don't understand how you can get a quality finish from bedding and coating tapes one day and then just a skim coat the next day...?
    The only thing that id expect to do that on is internals corners. My beads get bed, and if I have time that day a first coat too. Then they have 2 more full coats on 2 separate days so it's all dry.
    Same with tapers. Tape bed on day one, and 3 sweeps with the boxes. Either a double 10" on one day then 12" next day, or 8,10,12" on diff days if it's a big job.
    Butts get a 10" each side one day, then a 12" over the centre the next day. Some hand work if it's needed.
    If I was using fast set it all gets 2 coats of that over 2 days and a final cement coat on the 3rd day.

That's why I don't work for 2 a metre, I'd rather not do the job than not do it properly. I've seen jobs done with 2 coats, the tapers are still recessed and you can see every single one when the light hits it, the beads are hollow if you put a 12" knife across them. The guy that did the house I just bought did it here and I'm gonna have to go over it all again to get it flat.

Thanks

its very simple our job. u just fill out tapered edge and stick metal tapes and paper tape on... then make sure they are covered. there is no recessed tapers on my work nor any tapes showing through... gets rubbed down with 120-150 grit. i do use scrim tape on joint never had issuse with cracking. dont know whats not to understand tbh. been doing it for 20 years. if there is 2 of u its easy to three coat in a day. base coat low shrink filler.. 2n easy fill.. 3rd joint cement. if anyone on here thinks the job is more than filling out taperd edge and leaving smooth consistant edge free finish pls enlighten me. the worse part of the finish is the bare plaster boards inbetween the compound areas hence level 5! like the lovely job tony is doing.. there are loads of guys out there doing a shit job no dought.. some two coat some three coat some do in 1 day some take a week.. dont mean to say every slow guy who 3 coats is good ands all faster guys are rough. thast just plain ignorant much like my spelling lol
    Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    I don't understand how you can get a quality finish from bedding and coating tapes one day and then just a skim coat the next day...?
    The only thing that id expect to do that on is internals corners. My beads get bed, and if I have time that day a first coat too. Then they have 2 more full coats on 2 separate days so it's all dry.
    Same with tapers. Tape bed on day one, and 3 sweeps with the boxes. Either a double 10" on one day then 12" next day, or 8,10,12" on diff days if it's a big job.
    Butts get a 10" each side one day, then a 12" over the centre the next day. Some hand work if it's needed.
    If I was using fast set it all gets 2 coats of that over 2 days and a final cement coat on the 3rd day.

That's why I don't work for 2 a metre, I'd rather not do the job than not do it properly. I've seen jobs done with 2 coats, the tapers are still recessed and you can see every single one when the light hits it, the beads are hollow if you put a 12" knife across them. The guy that did the house I just bought did it here and I'm gonna have to go over it all again to get it flat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    its very simple our job. u just fill out tapered edge and stick metal tapes and paper tape on... then make sure they are covered. there is no recessed tapers on my work nor any tapes showing through... gets rubbed down with 120-150 grit. i do use scrim tape on joint never had issuse with cracking. dont know whats not to understand tbh. been doing it for 20 years. if there is 2 of u its easy to three coat in a day. base coat low shrink filler.. 2n easy fill.. 3rd joint cement. if anyone on here thinks the job is more than filling out taperd edge and leaving smooth consistant edge free finish pls enlighten me. the worse part of the finish is the bare plaster boards inbetween the compound areas hence level 5! like the lovely job tony is doing.. there are loads of guys out there doing a shit job no dought.. some two coat some three coat some do in 1 day some take a week.. dont mean to say every slow guy who 3 coats is good ands all faster guys are rough. thast just plain ignorant much like my spelling lol
    Well said. Especially the bit about the lovely job I'm doing ��

Thread Information