Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Site work

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I agree, it's a simple job. The way I look at it, if someone is going to spend a couple of hundred thousand on the place, the least I can do it be thorough with my job. I think getting 1% of the home value is more than fair for how much of an impact our job has on the final result.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    I agree, it's a simple job. The way I look at it, if someone is going to spend a couple of hundred thousand on the place, the least I can do it be thorough with my job. I think getting 1% of the home value is more than fair for how much of an impact our job has on the final result.
    If I could get 2000 for doing a 3/4 bed, then I think I could be VERY thorough. Just the one a week,im not greedy....

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I guess it depends on your location. Down here the simple little box houses that you can turn around in a few days arent so expensive.
    But yeah you'd never get that kind of money from the big firms. I stick to small developers who appreciate the extra effort and are happy to pay for the extra time.

Thanks

Well i've just boarded, taped, level 5 skim coated, and spray emulsioned a 1000m, 2 1/2m+ holiday home at Polzeath for about 17k which is about 0.7%.
    Am I too cheap?

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Ha I'm sure jobs that size come into their own pricing structure. I'm sure they could afford it though! How many weeks per year do you reckon that place will see use?
    Bloody holiday homes!

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I guess it depends on your location. Down here the simple little box houses that you can turn around in a few days arent so expensive.
    But yeah you'd never get that kind of money from the big firms. I stick to small developers who appreciate the extra effort and are happy to pay for the extra time.
    Your right about working for the small guys. Do a bit now and again for a few, and its so bloody enjoyable on loads of levels. Had offers over the years but just carried on bashing the boxes as money was always there. Wish id kept saying yes rather than no now, as our trade is treated like shit as far as im concerned. Dont matter if your crap just get it done,very little pride in the job left because its just not encouraged.

Thanks

Ha I'm sure jobs that size come into their own pricing structure. I'm sure they could afford it though! How many weeks per year do you reckon that place will see use?
    Bloody holiday homes!
    I thnk the owners will use it at Christmas and a bit n the summer. One of the builders reckons a letting agent has been round and they're looking at 3500 a week holiday rental.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I thnk the owners will use it at Christmas and a bit n the summer. One of the builders reckons a letting agent has been round and they're looking at 3500 a week holiday rental.
    You'd think people would prefer a trip to the Maldives for that money haha. How many beds in that place?

Thanks

You'd think people would prefer a trip to the Maldives for that money haha. How many beds in that place?
    5 beds. Will sleep 10

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Full house and it ain't so bad then

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Rushing around like a cnut for around 2 a metre, using the cheapest materials you can find, in order to make any money. Being given one or two days to tape a house, and come back to sand it and there's skirting and kitchens fitted. I'd rather starve.
    Its worse than that now Tony a lot of sites are now getting kick backs from manufacturers like BG and Knauf and insist on using their products, so no longer can we use the cheapest gear, they do pay a little extra but it really don't cover it.

Thanks

Belive it or not its even worse than that.. the builder has been for a while now making the contractors buy the BG crap from only certain surpliers. they treat us like we are employed, for reasons not worth going into having us all emplyed would not be in anyones interest further still if we were employed all the big building firms would of gone bust circa 2008. they want it all ways.. they can go holly the fuck off up the shit river they keep sending us up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Its worse than that now Tony a lot of sites are now getting kick backs from manufacturers like BG and Knauf and insist on using their products, so no longer can we use the cheapest gear, they do pay a little extra but it really don't cover it.

Thanks

The basics of taping are reasonably simple compared to other building trades,say electrician.If someone is fit and able then they can be shown how to tape using taping tools within a couple of weeks on a site, with the aid of a good tutor !!!.I am not saying that they would necessarily be a good taper,but non the less they could be employed and work and be classed as a taper pretty quickly on a large building site.Many immagrants in this country have limited work skills, so if shown how to tape this would be a good job for them.I was out bid and lost numerous jobs due to polish workers charging a third less than i was making per sqm,put simply i just gave up rather than work for that kind of money.The government like immigration because it keeps wages low so that the company owners can make higher profits.It is hard to earn a decent wage when the employers can wave a big stick at you and say well if you do not do this job for peanuts then i know a man who will.This is not just taping but other jobs that are usually done by the working class.Before any one gives me grief i am not a racist nor do i blame any immigrants for coming to live in this country,i am just saying that it is the working classes who suffer most especially when it comes to employment.

Thanks

I think you are spot on there jethro. Plastering is going the same way too

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    The basics of taping are reasonably simple compared to other building trades,say electrician.If someone is fit and able then they can be shown how to tape using taping tools within a couple of weeks on a site, with the aid of a good tutor !!!.I am not saying that they would necessarily be a good taper,but non the less they could be employed and work and be classed as a taper pretty quickly on a large building site.Many immagrants in this country have limited work skills, so if shown how to tape this would be a good job for them.I was out bid and lost numerous jobs due to polish workers charging a third less than i was making per sqm,put simply i just gave up rather than work for that kind of money.The government like immigration because it keeps wages low so that the company owners can make higher profits.It is hard to earn a decent wage when the employers can wave a big stick at you and say well if you do not do this job for peanuts then i know a man who will.This is not just taping but other jobs that are usually done by the working class.Before any one gives me grief i am not a racist nor do i blame any immigrants for coming to live in this country,i am just saying that it is the working classes who suffer most especially when it comes to employment.
    nail on the head

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/577...ank-of-England

Thread Information