Thread: Stair well scaffold

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Default Stair well scaffold

I had a bit of a run in with the H&S guy the other day, I was jointing a coach house (you know 3 garages under a flat above), The stairs are as simple as they come just one straight rise up to the flat. Now using machines I can comfortably reach everything from the floor even the very top corner so no need to set up a scaffold and I didn't.

So in comes the H&S guy who says where's your scaffold, I tell him and demonstrate that I don't need it and he says its in your method statement so you must have it in place, I said if it was a bigger stairwell then Yes of course I would use a scaffold but in this particular case its not needed. Now I know you cant argue with these guys but how can this be right if the only thing the stairs is being used fore is walking up and down.

Thanks

So what more dangerous running around site looking for a platform then having to walk with it from fcuk knows where to the house... Then putting it up then down then up again... tripping over it oh and doing your back in trying to get past or through it up the stairs with your water.. or just reach with tools or heaven forbid a simple ladder and plank which might i add you may well end up using because the platform dont fit. Now if they want to make it SAFE how about the builder making sure there is a well FITTED platform in every unit BEFORE WE GET THERE that we can WORK AROUND. i would love that... NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. why you ask.. Because they only pass the buck and dont care about your health and safety. The fcuktard builders and site agents cant even order the right windows and stairs etc on units they have built thousands of times befor!... OH why is there a soil pipe in the lounge, more to the point why have you only just notised it when i am rubbing down you bunch of DRIBBLING SPAZOTRONS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    I had a bit of a run in with the H&S guy the other day, I was jointing a coach house (you know 3 garages under a flat above), The stairs are as simple as they come just one straight rise up to the flat. Now using machines I can comfortably reach everything from the floor even the very top corner so no need to set up a scaffold and I didn't.

So in comes the H&S guy who says where's your scaffold, I tell him and demonstrate that I don't need it and he says its in your method statement so you must have it in place, I said if it was a bigger stairwell then Yes of course I would use a scaffold but in this particular case its not needed. Now I know you cant argue with these guys but how can this be right if the only thing the stairs is being used fore is walking up and down.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thomas.savage For This Useful Post:

amestaper (03-03-2015),E.K Taper (01-04-2015)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Tom you have a real good grasp of the situation, They said to me "both us (the builder) and your contractor have stairwell scaffolds on site. Like you say you can spend hours trying to find the bent fu***d up bits of crap, as for having it ready waiting for you that's a laugh we cant even get a water butt, I now carry 4x 25ltrs in my van just so I can get started, I mix Joint cement at home the night before. I am also looking into buying a roof rack and a proper stair scaffold but they are 445 for a glorified ladder and plank. WTF has happened to it all.

Thanks

Yep thats what a 20 year strech on side will give you lol. i got 5 25/30ltrs screw top containers. god send! its enough water to any unit. i just fill them off the silo drive them to the house. beats getting angry every morning coz no water butt. takes 20 min but then i dont have the bullshit with the fork lift wanker that wont fill up ur butt etc. they do nothing for you so when they want a favour i just turn up my headphones and lock the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Tom you have a real good grasp of the situation, They said to me "both us (the builder) and your contractor have stairwell scaffolds on site. Like you say you can spend hours trying to find the bent fu***d up bits of crap, as for having it ready waiting for you that's a laugh we cant even get a water butt, I now carry 4x 25ltrs in my van just so I can get started, I mix Joint cement at home the night before. I am also looking into buying a roof rack and a proper stair scaffold but they are 445 for a glorified ladder and plank. WTF has happened to it all.

Thanks

If they are going to give you grief on every unit with a stairwell, I'd bite the bullit and get a scaffold of your own, and when someone asks to borrow it, it's either 25 or fcuk off. The least you need to rely on any of these fcukers, the better. They don't care about you, no matter how good a job you do, so fcuk'em.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Your absolutely right the only problem again is cost you have to buy water containers, designated materials and now your own scaffold which will no doubt need a current test cert and all for the same rate I was getting 10yrs ago you have to wonder if its worth it.

Thanks

If only it was that simple but strickly speaking you could go out and buy something only to be fined for a. not being the brand in contractors method statement b. not being on course to erect it. you still got to a. lug it round with all the feet side bars etc b. after all that you still got the problem of all the units that have stairwells that dont fit the system. the only real solution is the builder to plan and fit in all house types.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    If they are going to give you grief on every unit with a stairwell, I'd bite the bullit and get a scaffold of your own, and when someone asks to borrow it, it's either 25 or fcuk off. The least you need to rely on any of these fcukers, the better. They don't care about you, no matter how good a job you do, so fcuk'em.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.savage View Post
    So what more dangerous running around site looking for a platform then having to walk with it from fcuk knows where to the house... Then putting it up then down then up again... tripping over it oh and doing your back in trying to get past or through it up the stairs with your water.. or just reach with tools or heaven forbid a simple ladder and plank which might i add you may well end up using because the platform dont fit. Now if they want to make it SAFE how about the builder making sure there is a well FITTED platform in every unit BEFORE WE GET THERE that we can WORK AROUND. i would love that... NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. why you ask.. Because they only pass the buck and dont care about your health and safety. The fcuktard builders and site agents cant even order the right windows and stairs etc on units they have built thousands of times befor!... OH why is there a soil pipe in the lounge, more to the point why have you only just notised it when i am rubbing down you bunch of DRIBBLING SPAZOTRONS.
    Without doubt the funniest post ever.........but very true.............."spazotrons" pure quality

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mcfc For This Useful Post:

thomas.savage (03-03-2015)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Lots of things would be funny IF only they weren't so true.

The one thing I omitted from my first post was that the H&S guy was accompanied by the Contracts manager and his only imput was to ask me if I was going to sweep up the snots on the floor. I later heard from my supervisor that they had a meeting where this contracts manager quoted me as saying "I might as well use a ladder and plank" This was not true what I actually said was that these specific stair well platforms are just glorified ladders and planks. Now waiting to see if im banned from their sites.

Thanks

yea spazotron or spazmatron meaning a retarded robot. its made up but seems to work and dont get edited by our lord and overseer lol glad you were amused
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfc View Post
    Without doubt the funniest post ever.........but very true.............."spazotrons" pure quality

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

I have missed your ramblings Tom, Im back tomorrow to sand down even though I know it wont be dry but they are insisting, now should I go looking for a scaffold or just do it from off the floor.

Thanks

Flex edge on an extension pole.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Yes I have one but the problem is will they still require me to have the scaffold up like they did for jointing even though I can reach without. Total Bollox

Thread Information