Thread: Nail spotter

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Default Nail spotter

I have most of the machine tools except the bazooka an a nail spotter, Never bothered with the spotter because I just didn't think it was worth it, Just recently I have been doing some timber framed houses jeeeeez nail spots there's millions of them, after the second house I decided that I had to make life easier so a call to Marcus was in order. So I took delivery of my nice new Columbia nail spotter and put it to work, first impressions are its very good and does save me lots of bending and stretching definitely comes into its own on high ceilings. I still have to hone my skills with it and figure out how thick my mix needs to be for best results. I wouldn't say its much faster (more practice required) but it definitely easier.

Thanks

Yeah they are great for the high ceilings! I've got the TT 2" spotter and its great. I only use it with the final coat though, as 3 coats with the spotter takes a bit of sanding, as you'll find out! Maybe I need to change my blade right enough
    It's a pain if there's loads of screws sticking out. if you swear when you hit a screw with your knife then wait till you rattle one with your brand new Columbia spotter
    That's another reason I only final coat with it.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Oh yes mate I never intended to first coat with it all ways fill with a knife and a hammer I even have a belt and hammer holder just for the occasion because even the best of boarders will leave one or two proud in a house that has 3000 screws in it.

Thanks

I've given up on my nail spotter. It leaves edges which can still be seen after sanding. Gone back to finishing them with a 6 inch knife.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Interesting Tony I did get some tram lines too which I put down to my mix being too thin or maybe too thick, but nothing that wouldn't sand out and im sure I will cure with a little experimentation. I once got a bit over enthusiastic when adjusting one of my boxes and that left lines after sanding too, it wasn't so much the joint cement it was the end of the blade slightly scoring the board, maybe a bit of adjustment will cure your spotter problem too.

Thanks

I had that scoring with one of my boxes but it was the wheel. I'm pretty sure I need a new blade for the spotter.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Yep I love my tools but they do need regular servicing (bit like the wife)

I have just serviced my Mud runner that needs the most regular attention probably only get half a dozen houses before it starts getting stiff to operate.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quick update just did another 3 storey timber framed so loads of screws and the nail spotter really came into its own and im getting the hang of it because it worked perfectly no edges or lumps left at the end of stroke. Maybe I got the mix just right or was it pure skill lol. either way im loving it.

Thread Information