Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to taping and jointing

Thanks

It's interesting you say scrim was cracking, i note you use easi fill so were you coating the scrim with this or joint filler? i've always used joint filler for first coating and never had any problems with cracking, but i've heard easi fill can be prone to cracking due to it being softer?

Thanks

Im not disagreeing with anything your saying, craigflorino, but your last sentence sums up why we all use scrim,,,,,

Thanks

Oh god yes .. It's so much quicker.. Depends on the job and how much rope they give you.. The builders in Sydney won't even let me use it.. But then money is awash there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I'm sorry my mistake. I thought the subject was not cracks but Butt Joints. Next time I'll read further and get the subject better understood. I just jumped the gun..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by drywaller fininisher View Post
    I'm sorry my mistake. I thought the subject was not cracks but Butt Joints. Next time I'll read further and get the subject better understood. I just jumped the gun..
    Its no problem DF, your point was still relevant!
    On butt joints, if the sheeting is ok then scrim tape will be fine to use. If the sheeting is crap, eg a step in the joint, then scrim can be difficult to hide. I suppose its down to the guy doing the boarding, if his work is good then ours will also look good.
    You can only p*ss with the c*ck you've got , if you know what I mean!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by prjwebb View Post
    I could put up the photos of all the scrim butts cracking in my house... I've used scrim in the past and had no issues but whoever did my house blew it. I suspect 2 coating with Easifill and no solid fastest.
    I think it's crucial to use something that sets off rock hard with scrim as softer, full process compounds don't cut it.
    I'd personally rather use a premix compound for the whole process and use Fibafuse and paper.
    If the job is tiny and I don't want multiple trips I'll go fastest and scrim or Fibafuse for the first coat though.
    As far as finishing my butts, I'll bed the tape with the zook on day 1 and then on day 2 when I'm 8" boxing the tapers I'll run that either side of the butts, nearly wide open. Day 3 with the 10" on the tapers I'll run that overlapping the 8" so it ends up maybe 14 or 15" either side. Then on the final 12" box I'll run that over the centre of the butts.
    Probably more work than needed but it leaves a good finish and I charge accordingly.
    So I only have an 8" box and a 12" I'm thinking I will tape then in fastset 8" either side of the tape running wheels down the centre then second coat in all purpose 12" either side of the tape again running wheels down the centre then top coat 12" straight over the middle what do u thing and should I open the box a little for the top skim on my butts because I have it tight for the last coat just to skim the joints

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

You really have to adjust the box to each joint with butts as they can vary a bit.
    I wouldn't put fastset through my boxes personally but if you've got a pressure washer handy to blast them out quickly then you should be ok.

Thanks

Yeah thats what I do spray with silicone spray and wash straight after I'm finished with brush and jet sprayer

Thanks

How does that system sound to u that I was gonna try

Thread Information