Thread: Vinyl paint and a ceiling I'm on.

Thanks

Default Vinyl paint and a ceiling I'm on.

Hi Guys,

im part way throught taping a large ceiling, this ceiling has a long row of windows running alongside it from floor to ceiling. Now I know the painter is using a vinyl Matt emulsion on everything and I've had an issue with a bulkhead that was done by one of my tapers, this bulkhead is in the same place roughly as the ceiling I am doing and a couple of the joints were visible when the sun rose in the morning, I put it down to my taper doing a less than perfect job. I now don't think that's the case as I have gone over the bulkhead and its spot on BUT you can still see (to a much lesser extent) the joints. The question is, has anyone had issues with vinyl Matt paint reflecting light as opposed to standard matt paint? I have been taping 13 years and I know my work is spot on but this has bothered me as the daylight on this ceiling is mega in the morning. Any help or experiences would be great to hear. Thanks Gaz

Thanks

In a word , Yes. Vinyl matt is shinier than contract matt. It doesn't matter how perfect the jointing is, you will see the joints in certain lights. Unless you do a level 5 finish on the lot, you won't lose the joints. Can't you persuade the painter to use non vinyl emulsion?

Thanks

To be honest i don't think the paint is the problem, , the problems more likely to be the sun shining across the plasterboard, showing the different texture between the plasterboard the the taping material, i had the same problem on a sloping ceiling over a swimming pool in Jersey, always looked bad for about an hour or so until the light changed, in fact it was painted when i was on holiday, and on first day back the guy i worked for complained he was having to pay the painters for "fixing it" i never tried to defend myself i just waited to later that day and then invited him to inspect the ceiling............he was shocked how bad it looked, unfortunately there's not a lot you can do maybe you could try a slurry coat of gyproc joint finish if they still do it, the other possiblity is the plasterboard itself is out of line creating a "bump" on the joint so unless the joiner address that problem there is little you can do,
    Last edited by rabbyc; 15-07-2015 at 08:27 PM. Reason: mistake

Thanks

I think it's a mix of both the paint and the rising sun coming through the windows along the ceiling. I've had a look at the spec sheet and the paint is what's been specified so we are looking at changing that to a flat contract Matt emulsion, I'll let you know the outcome.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

My father has been a painter all his day's, (I served my time with him)
    If a vinyl matt paint was to be used we used to paint it first with dulux supermatt then sand walls and ceilings before any vinyl matt was applied and never had a problem!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gazman78 View Post
    Hi Guys,

im part way throught taping a large ceiling, this ceiling has a long row of windows running alongside it from floor to ceiling. Now I know the painter is using a vinyl Matt emulsion on everything and I've had an issue with a bulkhead that was done by one of my tapers, this bulkhead is in the same place roughly as the ceiling I am doing and a couple of the joints were visible when the sun rose in the morning, I put it down to my taper doing a less than perfect job. I now don't think that's the case as I have gone over the bulkhead and its spot on BUT you can still see (to a much lesser extent) the joints. The question is, has anyone had issues with vinyl Matt paint reflecting light as opposed to standard matt paint? I have been taping 13 years and I know my work is spot on but this has bothered me as the daylight on this ceiling is mega in the morning. Any help or experiences would be great to hear. Thanks Gaz
    I think its more likely to be the slope/light combination. I did a 5 million pound house that had a slope right accross the front end over looking the sea and certain time of the day it didnt look the best, so level five over and still not much better so they skimmed the bedrooms and they looked worse. I bet if you lightly scratched the ceiling it would look like the grand canyon. They put a straight edge across the boards and there was a 1-2 mil gap in the centre but it looked like a mountain range. Good luck

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys it's helped out a lot. It's being painted this weekend in contract Matt as the project director has agreed that the light is the problem with this area. A test area has been painted and it looks good so let's see what Monday brings.

Thread Information