Thread: Taping by hand vs machines

Thanks

Default Taping by hand vs machines

Evening gents,

just want to ask how much a difference taping with machines over hawk and trowel etc.. Makes?
    For instance I know a couple lads who can bang out a house or sometimes 2 in a day using 90% machines
    Ive had a nose in their plot after sanding and their work isn't rough, it's a descent finish.
    Compare that to someone who is fairly speedy but uses hawk, trowel, roller, flusher, corner trowel etc..
    I'm guessing the tapers who use mainly machines are making the most money?
    I'm just curious at how big the gap is? I say that because I've learnt the hawk and trowel old school method and I can't see myself getting even close to banging out a house in a day.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dnbdan View Post
    Evening gents,

just want to ask how much a difference taping with machines over hawk and trowel etc.. Makes?
    For instance I know a couple lads who can bang out a house or sometimes 2 in a day using 90% machines
    Ive had a nose in their plot after sanding and their work isn't rough, it's a descent finish.
    Compare that to someone who is fairly speedy but uses hawk, trowel, roller, flusher, corner trowel etc..
    I'm guessing the tapers who use mainly machines are making the most money?
    I'm just curious at how big the gap is? I say that because I've learnt the hawk and trowel old school method and I can't see myself getting even close to banging out a house in a day.
    There is a massive dif in the 2 ways!
    2 men can throw on anything up to 10 rolls of tape in a day with a machine roller and corner head/Flusher!
    Boxing compared to float and hawk there is no comparison on speed and quality if u know what ur doing with the boxes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    There is a massive dif in the 2 ways!
    2 men can throw on anything up to 10 rolls of tape in a day with a machine roller and corner head/Flusher!
    Boxing compared to float and hawk there is no comparison on speed and quality if u know what ur doing with the boxes!
    yea I'm going to look at renting a box and electric sander for the minute and see how I get on with those. Then I might just go balls out and rent a bazooker and the rest.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

yea I'm going to look at renting a box and electric sander for the minute and see how I get on with those. Then I might just go balls out and rent a bazooker and the rest.
    Gun can b a bit of a nightmare for a start! But if u know some1 with 1 and willing 2 help them out for some training u will b fine!
    Boxes can b fun watching some1 new using them! but after a few rooms u will get better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beermonster View Post
    Gun can b a bit of a nightmare for a start! But if u know some1 with 1 and willing 2 help them out for some training u will b fine!
    Boxes can b fun watching some1 new using them! but after a few rooms u will get better.

yea I imagine it will take some getting used to. Cheers for the replies tho. I'll give the new school way of taping a go haha

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

yea I imagine it will take some getting used to. Cheers for the replies tho. I'll give the new school way of taping a go haha
    Go for it lad!!

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Me personally Im not much quicker with the machines than I am by hand, Its just a lot easier with the machines, That probably doesn't make much sense but its true. I have just bought an Auto Taper coz Im fed up of applying paper tape by hand But I don't expect even this machine to be that much quicker and fully expect some harsh language to start with.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Me personally Im not much quicker with the machines than I am by hand, Its just a lot easier with the machines, That probably doesn't make much sense but its true. I have just bought an Auto Taper coz Im fed up of applying paper tape by hand But I don't expect even this machine to be that much quicker and fully expect some harsh language to start with.
    If ur not quicker using a gun then there is something really wrong!
    I have offered this before,if ur willing I will easy give u a few days training on the gun! U just need to travel!

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Beermonster thanks for the offer but your in Scotland arnt you and that's the other side of the world, I would have to fly up. As for being quicker with the gun I don't know yet as I haven't used it my next house isn't quite ready. There is no doubt that the boxes are quicker as is my Mudrunner for internals but I just prefer to take my time and get it as neat as I can.

Thanks

Beermonster thanks for the offer but your in Scotland arnt you and that's the other side of the world, I would have to fly up. As for being quicker with the gun I don't know yet as I haven't used it my next house isn't quite ready. There is no doubt that the boxes are quicker as is my Mudrunner for internals but I just prefer to take my time and get it as neat as I can.
    Neil
    how do you find using the box when you get chunky bits in your muck that you've pumped in?
    Do you just go over the scratches it leaves in the joint? Or empty and clean the box out? Also does the box take the edges off alright?.
    My understanding is you only use the box for 2nd coat?
    And that's my 100 questions for the day

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Well that is a problem and prevention is better than cure, I spend a lot of time keeping my mix grit free. I actually box All three coats, no point in having them if you don't use them. I have a method of doing a house that works very well for me as a one man operation. I recently had my son work with me for a day and that screwed my system right up.

I tend to go room by room, box on which ever coat then whip round and tidy up, this keeps the joints nice and gives me a rest from the machines.

I would tell you how I do it but the experts on here would only laugh at me. Oh go on then heres how I do it.

1) scrim everything
    2) First coat all cross/butt joints, above and below windows, door heads etc. Leaving all the long wall and ceiling joints. Using fast set usually one big bucket by Hand.
    3) while 2 is drying I cut all metal angle tape and have breakfast.
    4) Mix up 2-3 buckets of wondertex filler depending on size of house, then with 7" Box put on all the long joints. No faffing about with items in (2) just straight runs.
    4a) Bed on all external angles. If I have any filler left I second coat items in (2)
    That's usually my first day.
    5) Quick scrape down then 10" box second coat don't need to be too fussy because I 12" Box straight after again room by room touching in as I go.
    6) Top off all external angles by hand.
    That's second day unless its a small unit.
    7) bed on paper tape internals using mudrunner, roller and flusher
    8) Top internals using mudrunner and 3.5 flusher.

Tidy up and go home.
    Last edited by Dillon; 31-01-2016 at 06:02 PM.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Neil
    how do you find using the box when you get chunky bits in your muck that you've pumped in?
    Regarding this you need to identify what the lump is, if its un mixed powder the that answers its self. I try where I can to mix my Joint cement the day before, I mix it quite thick then bump down before use. If I mix the same day I tend to over mix to get the lumps out but end up with air bubbles. Its a trade off.

If you find grit or shit in your mix then you are wasting your time, I generally keep that bucket for bedding on tapes or another non finish coat.

Keeping your kit clean is a huge part of this trade, I carry a pressure washer and clean everything (buckets an all) after every house. I guess im Anal.

Thanks

Regarding this you need to identify what the lump is, if its un mixed powder the that answers its self. I try where I can to mix my Joint cement the day before, I mix it quite thick then bump down before use. If I mix the same day I tend to over mix to get the lumps out but end up with air bubbles. Its a trade off.

If you find grit or shit in your mix then you are wasting your time, I generally keep that bucket for bedding on tapes or another non finish coat.

Keeping your kit clean is a huge part of this trade, I carry a pressure washer and clean everything (buckets an all) after every house. I guess im Anal.
    Thanks for the insight mate, nice to see how other tapers work and how their systems vary.
    I suppose you will have to be quick using the boxs for first coat due to the setting time.
    Im quite good with cleaning my shit anyway, that's been drilled into me.
    anyways I best get on. Speak soon

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

I suppose you will have to be quick using the boxs for first coat due to the setting time.
    Yes that's why I do all in (2) first, I usually box all the filler in les than an hour and all ways make sure I have good washing facilities.

How's the Genny going ?

Thanks

Yes that's why I do all in (2) first, I usually box all the filler in les than an hour and all ways make sure I have good washing facilities.

How's the Genny going ?
    yea gennys descent. Cheers for that. I haven't had a chance to properly use it yet as been using derricks. But he's off From Wednesday for 2 weeks so will have to use all my own gear, so it will get plenty of use then and thereafter when I go off into my own plots.
    Up cranbrook at mo and won't let you use your genny without a drip tray ffs. Went to all the garden centres yday but couldn't find the right size tray. dont wanna pay 20 for one like I've seen online.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Drip tray tell me about it, I made one out of wood and lined it with plastic, went to Taylor Wimpy and got kicked of because it didn't conform, any way Machine mart do one but not sure its big enough, Trago have them 10.

Thanks

Drip tray tell me about it, I made one out of wood and lined it with plastic, went to Taylor Wimpy and got kicked of because it didn't conform, any way Machine mart do one but not sure its big enough, Trago have them 10.
    Ah cheers Neil, I'll pop up trago. Yea just been on a wimpy site, now on bovis ffs. 'Stick to the walkways' and high vis to be worn at all times, even in the plots themselves lol

Thread Information