Thread: Essentials

Thanks

Default Essentials

Hi fcukers

on price from Friday. I've been thinking about this non stop, so much so that my ginger beard has almost turned grey. What are the machine essentials that I should have. I do everything by hand-old school at mo with exception of mixing drill and genny and managed to blag an electric sander.
    Ill get some stilts next.
    Thinking of renting some boxes and that but need to accrue the money for it first. Plus a lot of Time cleaning when using the boxes, pump and the like. Is there anything absolutely essential you guys would recommend to help me on my way so I'm not drowning in a plot wanting to kill myself?

Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dnbdan View Post
    Hi fcukers
    Nope, but I am a miserable bastard.

I couldn't live without a 10 and 12 inch box, handle, pump and a corner roller + finisher.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Nope, but I am a miserable bastard.

I couldn't live without a 10 and 12 inch box, handle, pump and a corner roller + finisher.
    take a look at the level 5 kit it's cheap and ok build. It depends on your materials, method etc as to what you need.

Your short stuff so boxes will be good for you, 7-8 inch for coating up and a 10-12 for topping.. A pump too.

internal wise you need a tube, a corner roller, applicator head and for now one 3 inch finishing head.

Thats it it really other than the stuff you got already. Not much, not expensive if you level 5 it, tape tech tube or Columbia.

Can do the rest by hand, use a slow setting filler. You will want a 110v pressure washer for cleaning your tools and a wide but not tall mixing tub for the filler mixes as this will fit the pump. Also a large bath for cleaning tools out side the plot. Stop all your shit from covering the brick work... 30 lt water containers are good, 5 should do it. These work great with the pressure washer and you can transport the water from site office tape as the have screw tops. 10 mins to fill up and enough water for most plots, no fucking about waiting for fork lift.

600-800 should do it.

Drop me me a line if you need any help.

cleaning boxes don't take much time if you have the above, the pump also is easy if you have the above and the proper bog brush. You want to clean by hand first then pressure wash else you wil be fcuking about. 5 min after each mix should be ok.
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 12-04-2016 at 06:34 PM.

Thanks

Thanks tom

haha i am short at 5'9. Can't walk along troweling the ceiling joints like you.
    Cheers ames as well.
    ill prob rent the boxes and pump to begin with and see how it goes. I was looking at the mud tubes. Are the canam's any good? And can they be used with a tapetech applicator head? I've got a Columbia flusher 3.5 I think, might be 3.

Thanks

Also tom, you use that g-tec shit
    ive got access to BG easy fill - you recommend that as a filler then knauf joint cement as a top or just 2 coats of the BG?
    1) not sure what the BG sands like and 2) got to be shit Hot on cleaning else it will set on my tools/gear

Thanks

Thanks tom

haha i am short at 5'9. Can't walk along troweling the ceiling joints like you.
    Cheers ames as well.
    ill prob rent the boxes and pump to begin with and see how it goes. I was looking at the mud tubes. Are the canam's any good? And can they be used with a tapetech applicator head? I've got a Columbia flusher 3.5 I think, might be 3.
    The can am are better than BTE but your best off with a tape tech or Columbia tube.. Everything fits on them and much better build.

There is a art to the tube, give me a shout if you want a demo. It's easy but many make it a lot harder than it needs to be. The right applicator head is essential for optimal operation.

It's getting busy for a bit, will be in Taunton and or wellington most Saturday's.

What choice of materials do you have? If you can use freeman ready mix do! It's a god send and makes the job even easier.. It's idiot proof, I can't believe what it covers with no shrinkage and easy to sand.
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 12-04-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks

Also tom, you use that g-tec shit
    ive got access to BG easy fill - you recommend that as a filler then knauf joint cement as a top or just 2 coats of the BG?
    1) not sure what the BG sands like and 2) got to be shit Hot on cleaning else it will set on my tools/gear
    the g- tech filler/ finish will set too fast for you. Cost no object I would use easi fill if I were you. It sets slower plus it's great to top on plus if you fcuk up its soft so you can rescue your pump etc. Don't top with it, that's not needed plus your not quick enough for that.

1 easy fill
    1 top coat joint cement. ( dish soap is good with this)

Internal with joint cement.

You have got a good hour and a half with easy fill, the bog standard bg filler sets slow too but it bubbles up as its a 3 coat product not 2.

Get a ho max banjo from belmore tools, it's cheap and might be good for you. Plus the sheet rock beads, paper metal but come in lengths not the rolls. This will be easier for you, more expensive but not too bad. You will have to pre coat the window heads if you use this though as you can't pinch it out and the Windows are often not right leading to problems where the angle meets... Unless you sort that area first by, pre coating it.

You want predictable out comes, control the variables. Then you can build speed.

we need more training sessions lol difficult to give optimum help via internet...if you get set in bad non optimal ways now it will haunt you for rest of time, eating profit every minute.
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 12-04-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks

The accounts with CCF in Exeter so whatever they sell. I know they do BG easy fill and remember you mentioning it when we did that morning together. Was gonna use knauf joint cement to top. Will get a list of what they got and let you know, I'm using the BG flex Tape at mo. I've used the usg sheet rock tape in roll form, doesn't split like the BG one, lot stronger.
    There isn't a lot of difference between Colombia and can am tubes price wise. So I'll look into getting the Columbia one off belmore.
    I can rent boxes fairly cheap. I had a quick nosy at that banjo. You ever used it?

Thanks

The accounts with CCF in Exeter so whatever they sell. I know they do BG easy fill and remember you mentioning it when we did that morning together. Was gonna use knauf joint cement to top. Will get a list of what they got and let you know, I'm using the BG flex Tape at mo. I've used the use sheet rock tape in roll form, doesn't split like the BG one, lot stronger.
    There isn't a lot of difference between Colombia and can am tube. So I'll look into getting the Columbia one off belmore.
    I can rent boxes fairly cheap. I had a quick nosy at that banjo. You ever used it?
    No, it's not much good for me as it does not put enough compound on the internal to flush and fill the tapered edge in one pass, if I was paper taping flat joints I would buy one though. It just might be easier for you. There is also a can-am dry tape applicator, given your height this might be worth a look unless your mate is standard taper height 6 foot plus, then he can put the tapes in.

I can't recommend freeman ready mix highly enough, you just have to store it some place...

Who are you working for?

Good luck!

If you end up using the pre cut Sheetrock bead let me know as I have the corner roller for that in my garage.

inter-line is great for drywall in Exeter. If you buying easy fill try for 10 a bag.
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 12-04-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks

I only run joint cement through my boxes and a quick brush off the outside and then they sit in a sealed plastic box I bought in Homebase...one of these...http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...n-x-1ft-007481 i give them a proper clean out approx every 3-4 months

For onsite cleaning I have just bought a Sealey 12v rechargeable pressure washer, nice bit of kit that does the job well
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

Thread Information