Thread: Waste Plasterboard

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Waste Plasterboard

Hi All,

I know most of us here are tapers, but for the few that do the boarding as well, i just want to know how and where you are all getting rid of your plasterboard (waste from off cuts etc) talking about sites mainly and are you being charged by the main building contractor for collection of board etc.

Appreciate feedback from any drylining companies as i may have a plan regarding all these annoying waste laws.

Cheers

Marcus
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Thanks

The builders that I work for are now getting dedicated skips, just for gypsum waste. More expense!

Thanks

Heard the rumours about builders now hiding it inside stud partitions, attic spaces, under floors and down deep holes? This new law will just encourage fly tipping. Site I was on over the weekend has everything all chucked into the same skip so maybe the waste guy seperates it for our contractor? Have seen several skips for different materials on bigger sites lately, did this law come into force recently?

Marcus, If plasterboard is OK to compost then whats the problem with landfill? Forgive me for being cynical and not believing a bloody word the powers that be say anymore, is there something they've failed to tell us about the drywall? We all have a right to know seeing as we work with the stuff all day long.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

The environment agency reckons it gives off harmful gases as it decomposes. I reckon bollocks it does. It's just another moneymaking exercise.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyM For This Useful Post:

amestaper (10-08-2009)

Thanks

Default I think i gets recycled

our Drywall waste is supposed to be collected in a separate bin, (OK, really we call them skips too sometimes, but bin is slightly shorter) ...and on the big sites it is. The hardest part is keeping the other trades from dumping other miscellaneous things in to the dedicated bin, at best, plumbers donate scrap copper, and at worst the tapers chuck all the waste boxes, plastic bags and lunch debris and corner bead scrap there.
    The bins of Scrap drywall are then hauled to one of the drywall plants in the city and made into new drywall. I have whined about recycled drywall elsewhere, nuff said.
    One meticulous laborer we had was assigned to guard the recycling bin, and since he was there anyway he amused himself by stacking the scrap as tightly as he could when he had it full, the bin held roughly 3 times what it normally did and the truck that came in across the soggy yard to get it was unable to load it .... they filled the new bin from the full bin before they could pull it up all the way.
    Don't pack the bins.
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightrock For This Useful Post:

amestaper (11-08-2009)

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok spent many many hours researching waste plasterboard !

The law came in April 1st 2009 (fools day i know!) part of the ashdown agreement. One of the biggest problems with gypsum waste is the way it either does or doesn't decompose - amestaper your right it can be composted - but not before removing paper to allow weather to break down glues - ever tried removing all the paper from board (not Easy unless soaked for days!)

Tony - Unfortunatley Enviro guys are right - plbd left to decompose is fine - it takes ages but will rot eventually - the gasses question is the product used to bind the gypsum called boron (not borat, yes pleaase!) boron - it is a gas in its natural form but fired in flue form to create the solid state plasterboard sheet we all love and use everyday - it's not necessarily harmful on it;s own but concerns over other chemicals and gasses mixing with boron gas is a major environmental concern.

Another horrid issue is the really nasty fairly harmless but nasty smell plasterboard gives off when left for ages to rot, another reason to find other uses (and thats what everyone is trying to do at present !)

Regards to re using as board only 10% is good enough to be used - these figures grow as manufacturers are pressured into finding newer ways to incorporate old and new stocks of raw material. Currently if more than 10% was used to make a new sheet, it could and probably would crumble at some point (probably when above your head borading ceilings - ouch!!)

Anyway that's my take on things, please don't take as gospel but it's a subject that concerns me as it does most suppliers and contractors because at the end of the day it only ever puts a large dent in our pockets!

Like to hear from more contractors and where they currently dispose of their waste!

Cheers
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to belmoreboy For This Useful Post:

amestaper (11-08-2009)

Thanks

Just a suggestion, and it may be a stupid one, as Ive never seen one of these used on site. Surely it would be possible to use one of those shredding tools that gardeners use to mash up tree branches and strip bark etc to help with the breakup and decomposition of plasterboard?

Maybe a change in the compound is needed as there seems to be many health and environmental issues affecting drywall just now.

This may be off topic, but its along the same theme as this thread. I left a post on the Chinese drywall thread yesterday with a link to a video showing homeowners claiming plasterboard from 2 different US manufacturers is rotting everything metallic inside of their house due to the fumes its emitting. If you havent seen it yet, you should because this stuff is toxic!
    Post #11 in this thread. How to look for American & Chinese drywall problems.
    Last edited by amestaper; 11-08-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: added link to video file
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thread Information