Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas on a 2 man system?

Thanks

Default Ideas on a 2 man system?

Hi guys,

i want to pick your brains for a 2 man system. Me and my mate have tried a couple of different ways and been struggling as we're so fucking disorganised. Problem being is I learnt in a group of 4 and there was always at least 3 of us doing stuff and in no particular system.

so far we've been scrimming up and cutting beads first thing (after we got all our water and shit loaded into the plot)
    then laying on muck for the internals and laying paper on. Usually one lays the muck on then the other follows behind putting paper on then the one who laid the muck on will come back on himself and roll the paper and paper man will knife down the excess,

then we knock up big bucket of filler and take a room each, first coating everything and finish on the screws. We'll just work through the house room by room. Once finished we do same again but second coating, we will usually have a big bucket of joint cement ready, mixed the night before.
    Once everything is second coated, we then final coat internals. Using a fucking paint roller at the min, it's shit and I hate it!!!!! Messy as a weekend in Amsterdam! Leaves loads of excess in the corners after being flushed which is a pain in the ass to Try and sort out with a corner trowel, which leaves it looking shit anyway.

My process when in a room
    I always start ceiling butts first then flats then I'll do it joint by joint basis depending on where I've finished the ceiling. So I could have a couple of wall flats then a Window to bead and coat up with heads and bottoms then back onto flats going clockwise or anti clockwise depending on how I feel on the day.
    Lad I work with does whatever way he does it then we'll finish when we finish.

So as you can see we are retarded and need ideas

Thanks

You should work together to promote speed...

arrive on site,
    guy a. unloads and sorts water and parks van sign in etc
    guy b. starts scriming up

a. Cuts angle

who ever finishes first mixes up filler ( should be at same time)

both then coat up joints one room each or ( better for now)

a. Lays on narrow ( flat trowel)

b. Finishes after him ( curved trowel)

( working together like this is good for motivation, each guy having to stay with the next)

before bucket is finished

a. mixes up

b. Spots nails with 1st bucket left overs

a. Carries on joints with b.

complete joints and drop back on nails from top of house to bottom.

Race each other, you need to complete with each other to get faster.

a. Puts angle on

b. Coats up angle

( a. Keeps bucket with him and goes straight from bucket to window no hawk)

Sit down while things set,

internal...

a. Rolls out and creases tape

b. Runs round and cleans off

a. Tubes on

b. Put tape in

a. Rolls in

b. Flushes in

once floor is complete a. And b. Knife in corners before going up stairs

topping

a. Tops joints

b. Tops Windows , under window boards, nails

b. Might fall back on joints if a. Is not finished ( again doing this will create competition and improve speed)

finishing internals

a. Tubes up

b. Finish flush

a. Brings in corners

b. Cleans up and loads van

a. And b. Fuck off.

that is the best way for you at the moment. Maximise working together is good for moral and keeps each other honest.

push each other all day every day.
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 21-04-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks

Other points you need to get your head round...,

Work methodically, tools out the way in same place and always put back in tool bucket after use,

mix up in between ceiling long joints keep everything out of your work path,

work clock wise round each room! NO RANDOM STARTING PLACES!

Work clockwise round each floor, NO GOING INTO RANDOM ROOMS!

Keep all the crap you can out side, out the way! It's summer soon, mix up out side.

very useful for you as crap on floor is not good when using work platforms.

A bucket of of filler is 2 bags in one bucket, don't mix random amounts unless your almost finished.

there is no need to sink to your knees unless in cupboard...

Repeation, you both need to know what you doing and about to do, in relation to each other and the job as a whole.

Keep it the same... Every day.... Every Hour.. Every minute the same methods.

Keep a log of your times in each unit, beat your times... Feel good.

Hereth endith the lesson.
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 21-04-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks

That looks good mate. I'll pitch it to him tomorrow. Definitely wanna try that. Need to get a tube tho, best hit up belmore

Thanks

Cheers tom

Thanks

You need a tube, a corner roller and a 3" finishing head.

If you don't have this use,

a tar brush on the end of plumbers pipe.

a. Brushes on

b. Puts tape in

a. Drops back after each room and ' brushes in' (pushing tape back)

end of floor

a. And b. Knife off excess before going up stairs.

Finishing internals by hand

a. Loads up with knife

b. Finishes off with knife

wall and ceiling internals all as one or

internals first, then after topping joints and Windows and nails do ceiling lines ( internal)

one guy peels off early to clean up and get van etc.

if you buy any tools, buy the internal system I out lined.

The roller and finishing head can be level 5 and are cheap. Don't bother with the crap BTE flushers.
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 21-04-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks

All new methods will seem shit at the start, keep at it.

you should aim to work together like a SAS team doing a house clearance excises.

Fast, precise and brutally efficient.

you will soon find out if you can work together, don't waste a second.

NO RANDOM ACTIONS

i know, I make it sound such fun

Thanks

If only it was that fun ey lol.
    ive got a Milwaukee radio which unfortunately isn't digital so radio one destroys my brain cells every day. I'd put BBC Devon on but mate goes mad!!
    Yea I've got a painters corner roller attached to a plumbing pipe but snapped they today. I'll invest in a tube. With your curved trowel does that work on both flats and butts for first coat? Just lay on with one sweep and take both edges off with second? As opposed to taking one edge off first then the other when using a flat trowel?

Thanks

Also advice on a sander? Seen Q-Tech one on belmore for 400 I think, any thoughts?
    Plus is there like a dry lining specific store somewhere that sells this stuff like tubes and boxes and that or is it all online?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dnbdan View Post
    If only it was that fun ey lol.
    ive got a Milwaukee radio which unfortunately isn't digital so radio one destroys my brain cells every day. I'd put BBC Devon on but mate goes mad!!
    Yea I've got a painters corner roller attached to a plumbing pipe but snapped they today. I'll invest in a tube. With your curved trowel does that work on both flats and butts for first coat? Just lay on with one sweep and take both edges off with second? As opposed to taking one edge off first then the other when using a flat trowel?
    Yes it works on but joints, the stair butts are best done with a flat trowel though.

the secret to the curved blade is to keep the lay on coat narrow ( 7"-8") plus have one of my home Made trowels ... The stainless marshaltown are crap, blue steel are ok. 11" not longer!

Get the columbia tube, Columbia applicator head ( on wheels) but take one set of wheels off else it puts too much on. Keep them though as the remaining ones will run down at some point. Run it wheels forward, after time the rear of the head ( non wheeled) will ware a little leaving less on... Get a old pad saw and cut groves in it but before this just swap the ends round( put wheels on the other end)

Thanks

Tools I have you could buy at low cost,

new 3" angle head... But blade is broken. Cheap to fix just send it to belmore tools

home made curved blade new

might have a tape tech application head ( puts too much on imo) but you can block the groves with bathroom sealant! New

7" box new

Columbia corner roller with and without handle

you could have my tube as I fancy a new one?

if your interested let me know and I will dig about the garage for them all.

Thanks

Also advice on a sander? Seen Q-Tech one on belmore for 400 I think, any thoughts?
    Plus is there like a dry lining specific store somewhere that sells this stuff like tubes and boxes and that or is it all online?
    yes it's tends to be all online, give Marcus a ring at belmore tools if you don't fancy buying off me semi used.

sand by hand, flex edge sander with pole.

Save up for the festool with a hilti vac.

Your strong enough for the extra weight on the head, it's the best one by a mile.

regarding the sanding, you saw my house, I use a flex edge and a pole. rubbed down a five bed on Wednesday and cleaned out in 2 hours...

There is two of you, two flex edges are 40

festool is 700

once you got all your tools ( boxes too) and are working regularly, with a big wedge in the bank think about sanding machines.
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 21-04-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks

Oh and tape tech are about to launch a line of special boxes that are designed for setting compounds so don't blow your wad yet.

They look fucking ace!

Thanks

Yea ill lay off the boxes for the min. I fucking hate hand sanding, like literally want to kill myself. Is it any easier with the flex edge? I might be interested in having your tube off you tho with the tapetech applicator head? That's the white one with grooves in? Will have to see if I can dig some money from somewhere.
    Was going to put stuff on credit card and hope for the best (Mrs would rape me and not in a good way)
    but sometimes need are a must

Thanks

Yea ill lay off the boxes for the min. I fucking hate hand sanding, like literally want to kill myself. Is it any easier with the flex edge? I might be interested in having your tube off you tho with the tapetech applicator head? That's the white one with grooves in? Will have to see if I can dig some money from somewhere.
    Was going to put stuff on credit card and hope for the best (Mrs would rape me and not in a good way)
    but sometimes need are a must
    The flex edge is pure joy mate, it's a sanding revolution. I used machines for 10 years plus but can't even be bothered to get my festool fixed ( fucked switch) plus serviced.

been rubbing by hand for years now. With the freeman ready mix its criminally easy.

if you buy a new tube, I will dig out a roller and applicator plus my new but broken blade corner finisher for you. 150 plus a new tube from belmore should be 300 total. I can give you a home made trowel too if you want. Same one I was using when you visited back along.

Fixing the blade of my corner finisher will be very cheap, it's new but got damaged in my tool bucket some how.

my tube is ok but you might be better off with a new one.
    ask Marcus about this, it looks great.

http://www.belmoretools.co.uk/acatal...ound-Tube.html
    Last edited by thomas.savage; 21-04-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks

Ok mate, I'll have a think and let you know. Cheers for the chat
    how is work up your way?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dnbdan For This Useful Post:

skim (30-04-2016)

Thanks

Ok mate, I'll have a think and let you know. Cheers for the chat
    how is work up your way?
    Busy as, time of year. I am still only doing 3 units a week though, a 5 bed and 2 three beds this week plus 3 rub downs...

part time lol

i dont want more than that working on my own, gets boring!

Thanks

Tom what size tube should I go for 36 or 42" ?

Thanks

Tom what size tube should I go for 36 or 42" ?
    tough one, I use a 36" now, used a 44"? BTE years ago. With the 36" you can do everything, cupboards as well. That suits me.

You might benefit from the bigger tube if your using a applicator head that puts shit loads on like the tape tech.

I just found handling the bigger tube was not worth it, you want to go on your arm span too (reach).. You would struggle with a 42" imo.

36" then lol

if if you were 6'4 then the big tube and the *alternative back of cupboard method would be worth it.

* coat up cupboard with tube, but only the front two internals and 3 ceiling lines.. Put tape in push back by hand a little then take off ( thus putting joint compound on the tape it's self) and place in the appropriate opposite area your unable to access with the tube.

Thanks

Ideal, thanks mate. Yea think I'm gonna go with the tapetech tube and applicator head.
    That cupboard idea is a good heads up. Always a pain in the ass flushing cupboards so imagine it would be the same using a tube.

Thread Information