Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is it just me or is it getting even more quiet on the workfront

Thanks

Default is it just me or is it getting even more quiet on the workfront

i have noticed a downturn in work again towards the end of this month, even some of the contractors i usually work for are calling me asking if i know of any work. this is my 19th year as a spray painter, taper etc, and i aint known it so bad. We are working but nothing like it was last year, when does everyone think its going to improve, some clients are saying they aint doing anything until next spring. Nightmare.

Maybe if this site has visitors from the big boys USG Knauf etc, they could train us all up so they know we are working to their standards and start posting leads on here so we could all quote on the ones in our area. Using their gear of course. I am sure that they have enquiries all the time.or if USG / knauf etc have had their products specified and they need a paint spraying company to come in and finish the job off using their products they could inform people on here, just a hint hint like. or would that be a bit too much like the masons, maybe we could form our own handshake, or have some overalls made with one leg shorter than the other.

Thanks

Take my word for it Phil, its not just you. Its survival of the fittest, and I've heard stories about some tapers working for unheard of before rock bottom rates. Desperation from the workers and greed from the developers will damage the building trade. Do you really think it will be easy to push those square metre rates back up again once the recessions over and consumers are used to stupid unsustainably low prices?? It may keep the roof over your head short term, but do you think all these guys are happy at their workplace busting their arse for a pittance? I think not!

Just simple supply and demand. Too many out of work tradespeople + not enough jobs = Chaos.
    Ive refused to drop my rates and staying clear of the housebashing helped me do that.

This month Ive only had 2 smaller taping jobs, I keep getting rained off some outdoor painting work I have stockpiled, and a larger commercial job is repeatedly held up. I was meant to start this in April ... groan.

A subcontractor who worked for me even went behind my back to a client in January and undercut my prices to take work off me. This is the hardest test I've had in business, and nothing surprises me anymore.

Im sure theres also some masons who are poor and penniless just like the rest of us and what you may be looking for will be in the members area. Have you checked out the classifieds jobs? You can also leave an ad in there if you like.

PS. Some of the big boys do read this forum Phil. See the members list under community on the navbar to see who some of the members represent. If you want to give them any feedback then this is as good a place as any to say it.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Default Skilled labour

Phil,

We are always keen to build up our data base of tapers/contractors who can use our systems and products effectively.

If you want to be considered then give me a call

We currently have @ 60 large drylining contractors using the system nationally and they are always looking for recommendations from us for skilled labour

Whilst i cant promise you anything theres no harm in having your details

The same goes to anyone else out there interested in working alongside USG
    Cheers

Michael

Michael Anderson
    USG (UK) Ltd
    Tel :- 0770 331 4155
    E-Mail :- andersonm@usg.com
    Web-Site :- www.level-5.co.uk

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks

Batten the hatches lads prices are nosedivin towards the pound a metre mark. stop the fecking pricewar now!!!.
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Getting the hang of this Captain perfect's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_tapeinator View Post
    Batten the hatches lads prices are nosedivin towards the pound a metre mark. stop the fecking pricewar now!!!.
    We have cut down on are labour force by 75%, But are still achieving the same meterage rate but having to get over a lot more extras FOC

We are still waiting on a large hotel which was ment to start in April.
    Shop fit outs is the way forward, As every other one on our high street is empty!! & needing a full walls & ceiling job
    Milk No Sugar.

Thanks

Like to think ive been lucky as i got out of housebuilding 3 years ago after almost 15 years and got into Commercial sector just at the right time as it was booming and have kept really busy and managed to keep my small but loyal guys working none stop .
    On the Downside ive also lost between 4/5 really good tradesmen that i was able to call on as the Housing sector died over the last year and was unable to offer them work all have now left the trade .

Thanks

Getting many more emails and my phones been burning my ear with guys looking for work over the last fortnight. Somethings afoot I think?
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Th firm i doing some work for have layed of 15 painters/tapers this week, they told them that it will be next spring before there is an upturn, and a very slight one at that. Doesnt look to good

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the_tapeinator View Post
    thats great news carnt wait pound a meter sounds great!

Thanks

sorry lads never been busier site works booming looking to take more men on

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JON RAMBO View Post
    thats great news carnt wait pound a meter sounds great!
    Why would that be great news?

Thanks

Im from ireland and i really dont think it can get any worse. Working for peanuts at cheap rates is bad enough on top of having to beg for a cheque at the end of it. Shit rates inevitably give rise to bad standard of work. Normally got good rates on fit outs but now everything has gone to bits. There is work out there but by the time you deduct running costs and taxes i sometimes wonder whats the point? Ive had guys going bust going missing not answering and the builder i had recently got in with who had stuff coming up has gone missing owing many subbies so it looks quiet on the run up to christmas. Australia is looking like an option. Cant see any change soon.

Thanks

I know 2 families that are selling up and emigrating there soon. Its crossed my mind many times.

Thanks

Cant really blame them with the way things are these days. Id mis home though its where everybody is. Never thought it was a thing id comtemplate but it is seriously on my mind but i dont think herself could leave her cushy government job and her mother- id probably have to take her too-what the hell i might just go it alone!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Why would that be great news?
    80p a meter is the most iv earned so pound a meter is good news to me.

Thanks

Your customers are taking the piss. If someone offered me that, i'd find out where they live and do a shit through their letter box.

Thanks

You do know that slevery was abolished a while back. That rate is beneath contempt,

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

I don't see how it's even possible to make a wage on 80p p/m! Labour only i'm assuming, but even still...

Thanks

it used to be 60p and we dont get paid for bead work either

Thanks

i guess I have been lucky this year with work as since January I have been working 6 days a week for most or that time and some weeks 7 days, today I received a call confirming the start date for me to start taping a 66 bed nursing home (all fully coved also) + a youth centre next door, estimate it will see me right for around 4 months, I start on Nov 10!
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

Thread Information