Thread: Straitflex

Thanks

Default Straitflex

I've not used this but I notice that it is similar to No-Coat but about half the price. Can anyone that has used both tell me the differences please. Does the Straitflex have a plastic inner like the No-Coat. Is it flexible enough to go around arches or is there a different variant of the tape for that application.
    Cheers.

Thanks

Ive not tried this yet, but I have about 40 boxes in the garage, given to me by lafarges technical manager. It seems to be some kind of composite plastic.

Thanks

Default Straightflex rocks

I vastly prefer Straightflex to No-coat, for the simple reason that i figured how it works best the first time i heard about it, and I have used it for all off angle internals ever since. .. and i still haven't found a use for No Coat. No Coat may be a great product, but the fellow who introduced me to it bragged about how much time and material it saved and how wonderful it was, but left awful work behind with it. So if No coat works well for you; you are better than he was and, possibly, me.

I was told that the main advantage of Straightflex is that if you put it in a ceiling vault, it simply won't lie down unless it is straight; this is half true. it won't lie flat if you are way out of line, but it will gently curve back and forth.
    Its real advantage is that it is a plastic composite that you can sand pretty damn hard without any scuffing, (much like a vinyl corner bead really. ) So I take a fair amount of time to install it straight with fill on both sides, and then sand right into it for a perfect corner, I use the "Original with holes" because i find the mechanical lock with jointing mud comforting. I fill it with a 5" and a 6" knife on second and third coats if i didn't fill it on installation. one disadvantage is that I find it takes quite a while to dry behind if i use the wide variety.
    I find it needs to be folded fully and opened fully to neutralize its flat bias, after which it will conform to whatever angle you place it in.
    I have a few rolls of the compound arch variety, which gives you the option to allow either side to open as you'd need for a barrel vault intersection. look up Straightflex at All Wall for a wide variety. I prefer vinyl bead for arches but this does work. in a pinch i'd just open one side at one cut per inch with my snips to make an arch.
    My favorite aspect of it is that i can do any angle, and even fill voids in badly boarded internals. I haven't used inside 45 beads since i started buying it by the case. but that is mostly because some framers and most home owners don't feel any obligation to use 45 degrees on off angle corners , and Straightflex allows me to tape while giving them that latitude.

I like it
    Last edited by Lightrock; 13-02-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: fixed spelling, ignored capitalization
    Plumb and Level are the framer's perogative ...I can give you flat and straight... www.lightrocktaping.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lightrock View Post
    . No Coat may be a great product, but the fellow who introduced me to it bragged about how much time and material it saved and how wonderful it was, but left awful work behind with it. So if No coat works well for you; you are better than he was and, possibly, me.
    How hard is it to install cornerbeads?
    I'm going to give the Straitflex a try as it's a third the price of No-Coat 325.
    I'm currently using USG B1W tape on beads which are nice. I hate metal flex tape with a passion.

Thread Information