Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: early tools of taping ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhardman View Post
    What do you think of the final revision of our site? We wanted it to be completely different than anyone else in the industry; professional and to also provide the "human" touch.
    The sites nice Rick, and thanks for the link back. Mucho appreciado.
    We are starting to wonder what you're up to these days though?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Default Thank you for the note Amestaper.

Things have been great...and wild!

I have a tendancy to commit to something and then go silent until it's delivered (upsets my friends) but that way I hope to deliver on what is promised without talking too much. I'm occasionally reminded that it's not the best way to communicate though...sorry.

The paddles retailed out at $79.00 USD (my costs to build them are $35.00) which was just too high for anyone to purchase them. Everyone loved them, but we needed to have the street price under $20.00 to seriously do anything with them. What I really wanted to do was provide a group of tools that are a completely different mindset. Tools that are so superior in quality and function, it would almost create a higher tier of drywall contractor that could demand more money for their services (since they save so much time). What was slapped in my face (over and over) was that in the US market anyway, very few guys want to be better if it requires learning something new or paying more for their tools. It's "cheap..cheap...cheap" or it's nothing. This is especially true with the online distributors. I've butted heads with a couple of the online companies, not appreciating their arrogance. Their attitude is, "We're not going to offer your tools until you build the market. Then, we'll put them on our site." Our tools threaten their Sheetrock brand so I guess they don't want to interfere with that relationship...

So what we'll do is offer 2 lines of tools; our "Tools for Life" products which are satisfaction guaranteed and also lifetime guaranteed against defects (only available on our website) and "Contractor Grade" tools which will be available through material houses and online. We are working with Advance Equipment (www.advance-equipment.com) out of Chicago to build the mixer. They have submitted tooling to their plastics company and should be able to start selling them in 6 - 8 weeks. We also have several other items they'll be building for us. Eventually, we also want them to help with all of our aluminum tools. Working with them, we can now sell everything for less than I can build them in house.

The Raptor texture system is really turning out well though with your smooth wall finishes, I don't think there will be much use for that...at least for drywall texturing. I'll share the other applications for that machine (EIFS) as soon as I can.

So I'll be contacting our distribution contacts to see if they want to have samples of our "Tools for Life" products while we are waiting for the "Contractor Grade" tools to come on board.

If they do want them, I'll be able to send those samples to you and the other guys I committed to.

If I seem a bit distant, just send a note and I'll get right back to you.

Rick
    I'm thinking of having a newsletter sent out. It will of course have the www.tapingandjointing.com contact information. If you would like to be on the list, let me know and I'll be sure you get regular updates.
    Last edited by rhardman; 26-08-2010 at 04:31 AM.

Thanks

The newsletter will be appreciated, thanks.

Shame about the paddles as I was looking forward to trying one because I'm reluctant to do the "cheap,cheap,cheap" you mentioned if it impacts on quality. Maybe you should see about getting them produced in another country if manufacturing and shipping costs are so much?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

I have to contact the distributors that showed interest in us to see if they want the "Tools For Life" products to show around. These would help them create interest for the other less expensive tools available in a couple of months.

I'll make those phone calls next week and let you know how it all shakes out. If they do want them, I'll send yours and the other samples along with their shipments. No charge on any of this (to the distributors). I just want to be able to follow through on what I promised.

The mesh taper is going through some changes too. Minor but more effective than before.

This all takes so much more time than anyone thought it would. It's been a real learning experience.

Thank you for the continued interest and support.

Rick

Thanks

Default Tool update.

I'm waiting to hear back from Advance Equipment to make sure we aren't confusing the U.K. with our marketing and Advance's. I understand they are already working with a distributor in your neighborhood but I don't know the specifics yet. We want to furnish our hand tools their their established network. I'll update when I know more. We'll get those tools out as soon as possible.

I went through some old pictures of the Raptor texture machine and found one you might find interesting. It started out very small and grew when I added the hydraulics. The new A-4 version is much better. I ran it past a engineering guru today for advice and he couldn't improve it. I'll post the new photos when I can.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Problem solved.

So I called DeAnne at Advance and found out that I can use the same route Marcus (Belmore) is using to get her tools. The overseas supply chain is very interesting and by using the same channel, everything will end up at your door at a much lower cost than if I sent them myself. I asked the right person to contact Marcus today to let him know that we plan on using this source for whatever tools you have an interest in.

I'll be sending all the samples this route. The mixing paddle (samples) will be the "Tools for Life" (Lifetime Warranty) versions listed at $79.99. No charge of course. When Advance gets the lower cost "contractor grade" mixers finished, we'll offer those too. Videos will be done with the lower cost mixers. The premium mixers will only be sold on our site. This makes sense because we've learned that most distributor's don't want to try to sell an $80.00 mixer.

I've sent the Mesh Taper pieces back to be redone. The holes for where the handles meet the aluminum brace were misaligned just enough not to work. I could drill them out larger but I don't know how long they would hold firm.

I'm also having more corner creaser wheels made. We were flooded with requests for all the stock we had.

Samples will go out for everyone that was promised.

Thank you for your patience.

Rick

Thanks

Default Raptor A-4

As an update, we're getting the tools put together for the samples, still waiting on a couple of vendors to deliver to us.

Our computer's were hit with a virus which has caused major havoc so we're still trying to get over that. I have a LinkedIn Group request from a member here but since the computers are funky, I can't respond yet.

You'll see a (not complete) version of our Raptor A-4 Texture / EIFS application machine. It's more than you need in your drywall neighborhood I think as texture is minimal. The A-1 and maybe the A-2 will be good for you as they power the robotic taping tools we'll be coming out with. The A-2 will also paint. The scheduled introduction dates are: Raptor Texture / EIFS units: Jan. 1, Taping tools: March 1.
    raptor a4 proto5 007.jpgraptor a4 proto5 003 B.jpgraptor a4 proto5 007 D.jpgraptor a4 proto5 004 B.JPG
    Rick

Thanks

Hi Rick, I went on to your site to check it out and liked the idea of the mesh tape dispenser. I've tried the usual ones but never liked them at all so let us know when they'll be available cos fiba-ing up by hand is a pain
    Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Hi Rick, I went on to your site to check it out and liked the idea of the mesh tape dispenser. I've tried the usual ones but never liked them at all so let us know when they'll be available cos fiba-ing up by hand is a pain
    Cheers
    The mesh taper you saw is a great tool. I learned that if I demonstrate it, guys go crazy for it but if I just send it out, they find it a little tricky to use. It's a 2 handed method that really allows you to put on a lot of tape very quickly (and easily). When I get some time, we'll put a video together. This taper is a different kind of tool than those you've tried before. It's almost a "machine" with the materials we used and the attention to detail. I first came up with it in the 90's for my personal use in plastering and drywall. We've come up with some new innovations which allow it to still have patent protection. I'm very proud of it.

Right now, I'm not sure if our distributor has contacted Marcus yet so we can get them to you. I'll call him (Marcus) this week to see what's going on. I thought that we could eliminate some extra steps in getting the tools to you by using the distributor but if the service is slow, we'll make a better plan.

Our biggest hang up has been in manufacturing. The vendors we have used were partners we've used for years in prototyping/R&D so I felt confident of their abilities. The problem (primarily with one) is that when everything showed up, holes were misaligned and the tape holder was too large which requires an extra step to machine it down.

We have other tapers for the FibaFuse that we're excited about. After we get the vendor issues taken care of everything should be racing toward you at the fastest possible speed.

Thank you for your patience.

Rick
    Last edited by rhardman; 03-10-2010 at 01:52 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rhardman For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (03-10-2010)

Thanks

Cheers Rick

Thanks

Default Can someone give me a hand?

I need to make contact with Marcus; my messages aren't getting to him and my phone won't get me there.

If someone can ask him to get hold of me I'd appreciate it.

206-905-7580
    C: 778-858-7100
    rhardman [at] hardmansystems [dot] com

Thanks,

Rick

I see that this may not be the best thread for me to post about our new tools so next post will be better suited to that location. I'll dig up some more patents and post them next week to honor the spirit of this thread.

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Rick

give you a buzz later

marcus
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Thanks

Default Coming up for air!

I fired myself today (again). I'm slowing down the shipping and order fulfilment so I brought a guy on board to help. Things will be better. Looks like Marcus is helping to get things to you working with a partner we have. I'm so engulfed with the Raptor systems, I've really backed off from the hand tools. In my defense, the larger systems are what will bring in the bulk of revenue so I really had no choice.

I believe I owe you more patents...

Taping and jointing homework 668897.jpg
    Taping and jointing homework 2191238.jpg
    Taping and jointing homework 3707427.jpg
    Taping and jointing homework 3707427.jpg
    Taping and jointing homework 2366674.jpg

Rick

Thread Information