Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Default is the housing market recovering

drywallschool.com

Honest opinions everyone?
    Hows everyone feel about the state of the housing market? We have done ok to survive but had chance meeting with an "expert" and doom monger this afternoon and hethinks it will continue until late 2010 and theres another year of low productivty in front of us.
    Larger companies have restarted sites slowly and only build a few at a time , Material costs are high, and unemploymetns growing even though investors are snapping up bargain houses that have been repossesedthey are cash wealthy snd not your regular pre recession buyer which makes me think the unpturn could be only temporary.

Anyone really think the industry has turned a corner and over the worst or are we headed back into recession again?
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I dont know mate. There will always be doommongers and people who say the end of the world .... blah blah but if unemployment keeps rising that could be a problem and slow the market again. What I do know is it was looking good for a while but from my recent experiences I think its taken a step backwards and I've been slapped a few times, then kicked in the balls ..
    Im resourceful and have managed so far so I hope to see it all the way through until it recovers. I will try to stay optimistic as I have a 50% chance of being proved correct.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

herbert weiler
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default housing market

I have the feeling that the housing market is still slow we work with three
    people me and my to sons

my sons working in london at the moment to survive

We far off the turnover we where used to

i toke a job on as a security guard and help my boys as a can

usally november was ouer best months in the moment we get a few request for some houses but not a enough

So we ticking over

my impression the housing market is icreasing slowly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

There's plenty of social housing being built, if you want to work for sweet f.a.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Until a set minimum is laid down quality tradesmen will suffer.
    There is always someone who will for next to zero and therefore reduce the overall value of everyone else.
    Sure bills need paying but get a job in another trade if need be as it can only help you out when you get paid what you're worth not paid a pitence for busting your balls.

I believe most tradesmen do good work,lets try and get what we deserve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thepainterman View Post
    Until a set minimum is laid down quality tradesmen will suffer.
    There is always someone who will for next to zero and therefore reduce the overall value of everyone else.
    Sure bills need paying but get a job in another trade if need be as it can only help you out when you get paid what you're worth not paid a pitence for busting your balls.

I believe most tradesmen do good work,lets try and get what we deserve.
    Hear hear! That's capitalism and 21st century slavery but I wish more workers could pause for a moment and see the bigger picture. Many people seem to be worried about just holding onto their job and living one week at a time. Fearing someone cheaper will come along and take their jobs from them can't be good for your health or wellbeing? A pricewar doesn't benefit anyone - even the customer - I've seen jobs go tits up halfway through a contract when the contractor realises they can't fulfill their obligation. Also beware general contractors who accept ridiculous low quotes for this reason, they should know it's too good to be true. Good point painterman and I like your principles.
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

The question was Is the housing market recovering? Maybe a little bit and what tradesmen are fortunate enough to have a job, do so for no profit. They spend their entire time on site just making an existence, nothing else. Even plumbers are suffering. Has anyone else heard the saying "Sharpen your pencil" from people you do regular business with? I did today but decided tonight not to drop my rates and have probably lost a good client who will now use cheaper labour. I worked on two jobs today but still feel like I had a bad day now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I heard on the radio today that house prices are rising because there is a house shortage. All I can see that is being built is social housing and a few self builds. There are hardly any quality housing developments going up at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I think you are right. Its only supply and demand thats driving up house prices. The housing market is still broken and the big winners next year will be investors who have buy to let mortgages renting them out because they cant sell their properties.
    Any major housebuilding sites round our way are being built at a rate of 3 or 4 plots at a time. They build the kit and finish the outside of the house then remove the scaffolding. The interiors are ALL empty shells awaiting a buyer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I think the only money to be earned is in the commercial sector at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

As you read on a monthly basis the new housing market is growing by 5,6 even 8% per month but lets be honest 8% of F.A is still not worth talking about is it?

HOHOHO merry effin Christmas

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Many of the big drylining companies have taken the chance to screw down the prices on taping and other areas of fixing.

Someone said something to me about six months ago that companies pricing for today's rates will come unstuck if the work picks up in six months or so as the rates might improve and then they will not be able to get their work done.

Hows everyone's daywork rate holding?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Bang on the head with your pricing explanation and I dropped my rates no more than 10% just to stay competitive. I have spent over a decade building my client base and it would be suicide bidding rock bottom prices as you would never get them back up when things return to normal. In fact, you would be as well advertising for new customers if you do that. My daywork rate must still be quite high as some people cant afford me Its not nice whats happening out there right now.

Have a look at this thread, men are working for 58p a m2. Labour costs must be near parity with materials on this job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Thing is with taping and jointing many people see people doing it when they are labouring on site and think that's easy , when they are pushing a broom for 40 a day one week and land a making good job a few weeks later for 90 as an in-prover.

They will work for a lot less and still be better of then when they where pushing the broom

Thread Information