Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How fast

Thanks

I reckon he is double coating wi fast set but how do you get 2 coats velvet on internal angles in the day? Heaters?

Thanks

We need photos !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

You want quick? Just found these old comments about a contractor that does it all in one day.

http://www.tapingandjointing.com/for...ish-in-ONE-day.

The first link our old admin mentioned in post 1 is now a pumpkin, the second one still works though.
    Last edited by amestaper; 16-03-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: pumpkin
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

No offence david but it doesn't matter how many tapers you put in a 3 bedroom house, 1 day is unrealistic.....it doesn't matter if you have a salamander heater in every room, you must spend at least that time snagging it afterwards! if you put 3 coats on any tape in one day you are asking for trouble.....a lot of the work i fix is after squads who take 1 day to tape it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    how do you get 2 coats velvet on internal angles in the day? Heaters?
    1 coat easy fill and 1 velvet

Thanks

I have never seen this done but it must be like working in the Congo, surely? And there are photos on that contractors site I mentioned btw.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

I did the 3 coat in 1day thing a few times.

When I was using Georgia Pacific mud. as soon as i was in the house i applied paper tape with my seringe. allowed 2-3 hours to dry then 1 coat with the 10" flatbox

after my work day (about 10 hours) i could go with the 12" flatbox. Result was impeccable.

BUT, there's a BUT. It was in dead heat summer, very very dry condition, i had 5 fans in the house. Contractor was like "WTF!?" the next day lol but he was surprised by the quality.

I can't do this anymore because Georgia pacific changed the mud's recipe and now it sux bad. Just like all mud companies, once they got the good recipe, they change it. But i could only do flats and screws in 1 day, everything else had to dry for the night. anyway, after a 12 hours day, all you want is to go home.

Thanks

5 days with sanding sounds better to me than 1 shift wonders....i know who i'd hire between you and dave alston!

Thanks

To be honest I have done houses in a day don,t like doing it but prices the way they are sometimes you have no choice, and sometimes its the site agents pulling the strings, if your not out they will fill it with jobsworth chippys, the way I have done it is to filler first coat and half filler and half cement the next then cement.

Thanks

I didn't say i could make a house in a day. I said it's possible to tape and finish flat joints in a day when you use good stuff and have the right conditions.

I wouldn't care if you don't hire me, i have work the 2 years comming and all my contractors are very happy with the results. It's the same thing with the electric sander. People say it's a POS because they simply can't use it properly and do a decent job with it. The thing has a learning curve, like all drywall tools.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crack filler View Post
    To be honest I have done houses i a day don,t like doing it but prices the way they are sometimes yo have no choice, and sometimes its the site agents pulling the strings, if your not out they will fill it with jobsworth chippys, the way I have done it is to filler first coat and half filler and half cement the next then cement.
    Didn't it make bubbles? I tried that a few times but always had bubbles on the final coat. Told the contractors they'd have to live with the fact that it takes at least 3 days to finish a house.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ProbeGT View Post
    Didn't it make bubbles? I tried that a few times but always had bubbles on the final coat. Told the contractors they'd have to live with the fact that it takes at least 3 days to finish a house.
    yes there were a few air bubbles, other than that no real problems, but would prefer to be paid the correct amount and do it correctly, and be treated like a important finishing trade, I could go on but ranting now lol

Thanks

I thought i was being quite modest,most of the tapers i know do the same speed and the same good quality job,mind we were all from the same core of tapers that started this lark years ago. There is chap on here called Tom Savage who is quicker than the rest of us and i see him do a house 3/4 bed on his own in a day. We all work for reputable companys and nobody has to come back and titervate our work. Thought to what was said earlier,site managers do not give you more than a day a lot of the time anyway. Another poser for you all....... in other countries they have a minimum metre rate,im trying on a few fronts to take this forward,any suggestions would be most helpful,we cant go on as its going,it needs to rise with inflation,there are ways to do this but its using the right channels.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Alston View Post
    I thought i was being quite modest,most of the tapers i know do the same speed and the same good quality job,mind we were all from the same core of tapers that started this lark years ago. There is chap on here called Tom Savage who is quicker than the rest of us and i see him do a house 3/4 bed on his own in a day. We all work for reputable companys and nobody has to come back and titervate our work. Thought to what was said earlier,site managers do not give you more than a day a lot of the time anyway. Another poser for you all....... in other countries they have a minimum metre rate,im trying on a few fronts to take this forward,any suggestions would be most helpful,we cant go on as its going,it needs to rise with inflation,there are ways to do this but its using the right channels.

I'm selling all my tools and getting a job in a supermarket.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I'm selling all my tools and getting a job in a supermarket.
    me too can you get me a start ..... when i was house bashing all the time me and my mate were quick but a 3/4 bed house in a day no way .... and we used to box the filler first coat ..... not saying it can't be done by the way .. you must be a millionaire David A....

Thanks

Default How old are you and does T Stand for TURD?

Quote Originally Posted by David Alston View Post
    Standard 3 bed takes me and my partner 1 day. Thats done to a T in 8 hours,back for sanding and another 1,1/2 hours. Still not using all machine tools.
    I would like to see a photo of your finish and do you work for 0.75 p H?

Thanks

i work wi 1 taper months ago hi was doin 2 bed flat in 2 days with sandin then painters spend another 2 days on snaggin
    "Painters can catch that " that was his motto hehe

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

just 3 bedrooms? or 3 bedrooms....... kitchen..... bathroom utility? cupboards???

a 3 bedroom house could be taped in a day easy...... if you had a few guys....... but youd still have to come back the next day & sand the place.......

last 3 bedroom house i done 3 bedrooms finished in 2 days fair size plus effffing kooms!! hate them! but then there was the bathroom kitchen and livingroom..... 7 days work including sanding on my tod with my hand tools no fancy shiza like the boys on here have

Thanks

I started a 3 bed house on Monday and will be all jointed up tomorrow, so that's 4 days to joint (3 coats). Will be leaving it to dry on Friday and possibly Saturday too, because the floor screed only went down a couple of days before I started so there's lots of moisture about. It'll take 2 days to sand and seal it, that's with cutting in too, scrape sills, floors, and sweep up ready for the painter. So 6 days to be done properly.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I started a 3 bed house on Monday and will be all jointed up tomorrow, so that's 4 days to joint (3 coats). Will be leaving it to dry on Friday and possibly Saturday too, because the floor screed only went down a couple of days before I started so there's lots of moisture about. It'll take 2 days to sand and seal it, that's with cutting in too, scrape sills, floors, and sweep up ready for the painter. So 6 days to be done properly.
    thats how it should be done mate,these tapers doing it in 1 or 2 days are just letting the side down.

Thread Information