Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How fast

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks

Jase, the problem lies with the rate being paid.
    If your only getting 1.30 supply and fit, including corner tape, 6 days on a house means your earning peanuts.

The other problem is "they" (site managers) still expect a level 5 finish for that money

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    Jase, the problem lies with the rate being paid.
    If your only getting 1.30 supply and fit, including corner tape, 6 days on a house means your earning peanuts.

The other problem is "they" (site managers) still expect a level 5 finish for that money
    I think we are mostly all in agreement to do the job properly is the way Tony decribed, but that luxury is not available to all of us, I finished a small 3 bed today which I started yesterday (the boarder finished tuesday night) tomorrow it will be full of other trades which means sanding after its 2nd fixed again not the way to do it, I will probably have a very small window before the painter starts, all this even though in the contract it is written that the drylining trades will get two weeks to complete. My point is a lot of tapers are being forced like Brian said to do the job in a way they do not agree with

Thanks

well said Brian & crack filler,my mate & I have just thrown the towel in at the olympics because it was getting like that, skirting fitted before the ceilings were even boarded!!!, everywhere is getting like this now because the pri**s in charge have no on site experience or concept of how much work you have to do for a crap weeks money let alone try & make a decent living from the game

if you try to explain why you cant work like that they just smugly reply "you guys earn to much anyway"!....yer as if!...1.80 with paper tape,primer,6 by 3 sheets on all ceilings & working on podium towers with hats,glasses,gloves,boots & hi vis on all day & without a radio!! oh yer not forgetting loosing between 3 & 4 hours a week having safe start meetings & toolbox talks, I'm just glad we got out of there before this lovely sunshine turned the bg joint cement into concrete...lol

the only way to sort it is to wash your tools up & hit the road!

incidently, as much as it hurts me to say this, after going back to using paper on all the flats with the bazooka for the last 6 months I have to say it is a far better job but dose add a few hours to your week though so if your house bashing forget it! haha

Getting the hang of this Goodmanatee's Avatar
    Thanks

Are BAM the main contractor?
    Health and safety mad!

Thanks

no the whole olympics is controlled by... bovis lend lease... & each building has its own main contractor then trades subbed out in the normal way but it just so happens that my site was bovis & I was subbing from measoms, I'm not slagging measoms off though as they are a good company but they were a victim of circumstance!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ducatster For This Useful Post:

Goodmanatee (22-04-2011)

Thanks

in france we have 2 hour set mud 4 hour 6 hour 8 hour and gdx that takes 24 hours but is very fine so no sanding = 3 coats for fine work working with stilts and bazooka and mesh is illigal must use tape so how can you work for so little prices im staying this side of the pond
    Last edited by chris oz; 22-04-2011 at 05:25 AM.

Season Ticket Holder scottishlad2k10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dobietaper View Post
    i work wi 1 taper months ago hi was doin 2 bed flat in 2 days with sandin then painters spend another 2 days on snaggin
    "Painters can catch that " that was his motto hehe

ah a typical case of arseholes............. im a painter to trade usually we do all the taping too but if were too busy the plasterers do it............ the ones we work with are shite at plastering........... spend days..... just spent weeks snagging their work....... then they do the taping...... one coat fast set one coat finish...... they dont sand they sponge which is a shite finish for painting.......... and we end up baisically skimming everything theyve done...... its a sickner and they deserve to be castrated.....

some days id happily go to jail for murder......

Thanks

This topic was meant to be about how fast the job takes but kind of floated into a paper versus fiba tape debate.

All these posts have been moved to their own thread at
    http://www.tapingandjointing.com/for...er-versus-fiba

Please start another if the topic of conversation goes astray rather than hijacking the thread. Thanks
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Just came across this thread.Incredible.

Finishing a 3/4 bed on your own ready for sanding in a day??!! Impossible. (to a good finish anyway)

No way can you 3 coat all beads,internal tape,corner finish,and 3 coat all joints to an acceptable standard.

Bearing in mind your scrimming,cutting beads,mixing up to all be included.

I would LOVE to see some of these houses that have been done in a day.

fwiw it would take me 3.5 days jointing with daily coffee and fag breaks,and half a day to sand. I'd leave the job satisfied with the quality and wouldn't expect any call backs.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenya get over this For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (18-08-2013),jase hag (14-08-2013),moore (14-08-2013)

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenya get over this View Post
    Just came across this thread.Incredible.

Finishing a 3/4 bed on your own ready for sanding in a day??!! Impossible. (to a good finish anyway)

No way can you 3 coat all beads,internal tape,corner finish,and 3 coat all joints to an acceptable standard.

Bearing in mind your scrimming,cutting beads,mixing up to all be included.

I would LOVE to see some of these houses that have been done in a day.

fwiw it would take me 3.5 days jointing with daily coffee and fag breaks,and half a day to sand. I'd leave the job satisfied with the quality and wouldn't expect any call backs.
    Your so funny not to mention incredably slow. Im a dinosaur and can be do them in a day and a half. And to date ive not had a call back thats because my finnish meets the required standard. Dont judge others by your own standards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Your so funny not to mention incredably slow. Im a dinosaur and can be do them in a day and a half. And to date ive not had a call back thats because my finnish meets the required standard. Dont judge others by your own standards.
    Maybe if your spelling was as good as your jointing I might be able to believe you.

Seriously though,unless you mean 3/4 ROOMS then I'm still not having it I'm afraid. I'm certainly not the best taper in the world,or the quickest, but what you claim just is not possible.

I've worked for a firm with over 100 blokes and none of them would be able to do a 3/4 bedroom house in a day.

Your either cutting major corners,or your standard is no where near the required standard that is required by Persimmon,Wimpey,etc.

A 3/4 bedder contains roughly 10 rooms inc top and bottom hall way.

In an 8 hour day that's about 50 mins per room to scrim,cut beads,flat tape,beads on,10 inch,2nd coat beads,internal tape,12 inch,top coat beads and corner finish.

If houses could be done in a day,wouldn't we all be doing it?

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kenya get over this View Post
    Maybe if your spelling was as good as your jointing I might be able to believe you.

Seriously though,unless you mean 3/4 ROOMS then I'm still not having it I'm afraid. I'm certainly not the best taper in the world,or the quickest, but what you claim just is not possible.

I've worked for a firm with over 100 blokes and none of them would be able to do a 3/4 bedroom house in a day.

Your either cutting major corners,or your standard is no where near the required standard that is required by Persimmon,Wimpey,etc.

A 3/4 bedder contains roughly 10 rooms inc top and bottom hall way.

In an 8 hour day that's about 50 mins per room to scrim,cut beads,flat tape,beads on,10 inch,2nd coat beads,internal tape,12 inch,top coat beads and corner finish.

If houses could be done in a day,wouldn't we all be doing it?

Firstly you right I carnt spell but I can do a 3 bed in a day and a half, today I sanded the two I did last week and on Friday I will sand the one I did on Monday but to be fair that was a two bed, I don't cut corners I do 3 coats on everything. TBH I could tape a 3 bed in two days by hand. I know its hard to believe but I too am slow the guy I work for/with is much faster ad also neater than me and Im sure there are even faster out there. Like I said this has all been done before but its true, I have absolutely no reason to lie to you. Your more than welcome to come and watch. You go on about scrimming and cutting bead but that's what 40mins and a very small part of the day, I generaly have 1st coat on by noon and 2nd coat on everything and 3rd on the flats by the end of the first day, then top of the rest on the 2nd morning.

Where are you, come and watch or help.

Thanks

I'm in the East of England. I can't come and watch,some of us have too much to do during the day

Fair play to you then,I just think something doesn't fit.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

I know what you mean and trust me I had the same conversation with the guy I work for, I would rather take 3/4 days to do a house but they just wont wait and if you carnt do it then they get some one who will, today the painters were waiting outside my door as I swept out on both plots and I guess they both have a mist coat on tonight. It aint right but that's how its done. TBH in house bashing if you carnt do 200sq/m a day then you wont make it.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks

I took this last Thursday playing with my new phone its the lounge of a 3 bed. Feel free to pick fault. If I remember I was on one that day and didn't stop till about 3pm then just finished the nail spots leaving me with the internals for an early finish Friday.

Last edited by Dillon; 14-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dillon For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (18-08-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    I know what you mean and trust me I had the same conversation with the guy I work for, I would rather take 3/4 days to do a house but they just wont wait and if you carnt do it then they get some one who will, today the painters were waiting outside my door as I swept out on both plots and I guess they both have a mist coat on tonight. It aint right but that's how its done. TBH in house bashing if you carnt do 200sq/m a day then you wont make it.
    You are dead right. If I don't tape my houses in a day and a half I get told to leave site, same as if the quality goes down. I am seen as a slow taper, so I work longer days. As for coffee/lunch breaks they have gone too. Working this way makes sure I have work all the time. I have seen good tapers not get anymore work because they take 3 days to tape a 3bed

Thread Information