Visit Belmore Tools online shop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Default To mothball or not to mothball?

That is the question, aint it?

Many construction businesses around this area have cut back and some have folded altogether. I've made a few sacrifices including taking a vehicle of the road, staff and subby cutbacks while dropping prices slightly to encourage new customers in this current buyers market. For some small SME's it feels like theyre farting against thunder, pissing into the wind, and cannot make a profit no matter how hard they try. Business is about making profits and not just struggling for an existance, isnt it?

I can make enough to survive but this just doesn't tickle my pickle anymore if you know what I mean.

Realistically, how many cutbacks would you be prepared to make before deciding to mothball your company until the worst is over?
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

As long as the work keeps coming in, i'll be doing it. If your customers hear that you've given up, they'll find someone else, and that'll be one less customer you'll have when things pick up again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyM For This Useful Post:

amestaper (10-11-2009)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Cheers Tony, many companys are folding around this area. Its business as usual here and last man standings the winner.
    Im still interested to hear how far you guys would take it before mothballing or closing altogether.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

herbert weiler
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

We are keeping going for the moment hoping things are picking up and we learn as we go maybe diversify and do more private work
    I have taken a job on as securityguard so that my sons have less pressure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I've always been self-employed, and it would kill me to have to get an employed position in another field. I've only had 2 weekdays off during this 'recession' because of having no work. Something always comes in. I like to think that I have enough contacts that there would always be one of them that had a job for me.

herbert weiler
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes for me was hard to change i am also getting older and the pressure is getting to me plus i have been throwing off some sites like bovis because i dont take bullshit any more.
    my sons doing very well and i help them with the paperwok Also we need to make money for three.
    On my annual leave I helped my sons in london great fun

Thread Information