Visit Belmore Tools online shop

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Default Skimming - jointing

I spoke to a couple of contractors that we have taped for in the past, and they have said that most of there work is skimmed now? I have 2 men making good for me at the moment and both of the sites they are on are skimmed aswell. Has anyone else noticed that skimming is maybe taking over a lot of our jointing work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I think it's because some plasterers are working for jointing rates as there is little skimming about. You can't really do that for the money and do a proper job, hence the making good your guys are doing. It's the contractors 'take it or leave it' attitude that is leading to this. I fell out with a contractor a couple of years ago over a measure and he got some spreads to finish the job with skim for the same money. They one coated it. Historically skim has been 2-3 pounds a metre more than jointing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Yeah i think your right, they have cut there rates to get the work, most skimming was about 5 m2 and they are working for nearer 2 m2 now i bet.
    The standard of the work that i have seen is total shite..Good taping is hard to beat for a finish, no matter what a spread would say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by turrican_007 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that skimming is maybe taking over a lot of our jointing work?
    I've been undercut by plastering quotes for sub 3 a metre rates recently. My mates a spread and still gets at least 8.50 a metre because he stays away from the site work and thats where the problems with the shitey prices are. I've had to completely reskim a whole kitchen that had been plastered for 100 and I always pity the painter that has to repair a f**ked up job.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

i used to skim for 1.10 a m2 back in 94. If you did a bad job you wouldnt get paid, its the same now and you may see bad skimming or taping but whoever did the job is either sacked or due back to snag before he gets his money.

I rushed a few jobs and learnt some lessons.

If i wanted more money i would stay on the job and put more sets on instead of trying to put too much on and leaving a bad finish

You can garantee the painter aint gonna snag the job but he will be the first to complain about all the extra work he needs to do before he can paint.

Skim can be mixed and sprayed with a machine nowadays and that is gonna effect rates.

Both taping and skim when done perfectly are good finishes but the skim is a harder finish and some people want that.
    The new spray level 5 is the way forward but at the moment it is difficult to get the tradesmen who do this all on one job and thats why its slow taking off.(im taliking about massive jobs not houses)
    Its no good having one gang using the system on one floor when there are loads of walls ready and need finishing on the next floor but cant be done until you get there, so they need more people to start them walls and they cant do the level 5 so they do skim or taping and that fuffs it all up,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

A wimpy site near me is being skimmed because they out priced the drylining contractors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just new here skimming beats taping all the time although more costly.When taping is complete you can see the different textures on the finished wall because gyproc has its own texture,then you have ataped joint sanded flat and smooth i.e different surfaces on the same wall.Skimming if done properly gives the same smooth flat finish all the time. When taping first came about your final coat was a slurry coat which gave the wall the same texture all over no one does a slurry coat any more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glasplas View Post
    just new here skimming beats taping all the time although more costly.When taping is complete you can see the different textures on the finished wall because gyproc has its own texture,then you have ataped joint sanded flat and smooth i.e different surfaces on the same wall.Skimming if done properly gives the same smooth flat finish all the time. When taping first came about your final coat was a slurry coat which gave the wall the same texture all over no one does a slurry coat any more.
    That's why a lot of tapers are now offering a level 5 finish to eliminate the flashing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Theres that 64 thousand dollar question again. I dont think either of the trades are better than the other. If customers pay the going rate to do the job right, you can afford to leave a quality finish and either one should be spot on with no snags for the painter.

I havent been asked to apply a slurry coat for 10+ years. Housing developers seem too keen for quantity and couldnt give a shite about quality these days. If you pay any tradesman a crap rate, then you get what you pay for.

Theres plenty info on the level 5 and alternative finishes on the forum, and some of them even do away with need for emulsioning walls and ceilings as well.

Welcome to the forum glasplas.
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Do you think that level 5 will catch on in the domestic market (big sites high turn out)?

How many here do the 5 finish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    Do you think that level 5 will catch on in the domestic market (big sites high turn out)?

How many here do the 5 finish?
    Big sites want you to work for sweet F/A as it is so they're not going to be prepared to pay any more out. I don't do it. Tape & Joint 3 coats, sand and seal is my normal spec.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

I dont think it stands a chance on housebashing. Its more suited to offices, hotels and larger commercial developments where penny pinching isnt so much an issue.

Having seen the level5 being sprayed, I would definitely do it if I had the chance. If you have a big enough job, a client specifying a level 5 and a graco mark 5 sprayer or better, then the guy from USG will come and train you on site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Tape & Joint 3 coats, sand and seal is my normal spec.
    Same as.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Theres that 64 thousand dollar question again. I dont think either of the trades are better than the other. If customers pay the going rate to do the job right, you can afford to leave a quality finish and either one should be spot on with no snags for the painter.

I havent been asked to apply a slurry coat for 10+ years. Housing developers seem too keen for quantity and couldnt give a shite about quality these days. If you pay any tradesman a crap rate, then you get what you pay for.

Theres plenty info on the level 5 and alternative finishes on the forum, and some of them even do away with need for emulsioning walls and ceilings as well.

Welcome to the forum glasplas.
    thannks for the welcome looking forward to chatting to yous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default speed is the key

i have just completed a small job where the plasterer had worked through the bad frost and had plastered onto walls that had not dried out
    at the same time i was taping houses on site the main foreman had wanted me to tape all the houses but one of the buyers requested skim
    but when they tried to paint the skimmed house the walls have started to bolst so i have had to laminate the walls with plasterboard and tape the same
    with no disrespect to the plasterer as he was working in conditions not suiting the trade plaster takes to long to dry most builders want houses up very quick nowadays
    the rates my now be the same for tapers and skimmers
    but where i get the heads up is when time and mess are the main issue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Big sites want you to work for sweet F/A as it is so they're not going to be prepared to pay any more out. I don't do it. Tape & Joint 3 coats, sand and seal is my normal spec.

Like wise.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

me aswell mate.

Thread Information