Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

    Default I Wish They'd Leave It Alone.

    Real-Debrid

    Me and my mate started taping a large dormer bungalow today. It's not completely ready for us but we made a start because we have to go and do another job in a day or two, so we thought we'd get ahead. The boarding had been done by 'Operatives' that, in the words of one of them "i've never done this before," should have left it well alone. All the usual taper annoyances are present - pissed reveals, screws sticking out, big gaps, damaged boards,and some SQUARE EDGED BOARDS! I watched as one of the operatives re-fixed a board resting on the floor thus leaving a good 15mm gap at the top to the ceiling board. I said to him, "You couldn't have jacked the board up then, i've got to prefill that now before I can tape it?" in a sarcastic manner to which he looked at me blankly and said "Oh, yea, oh s**t. Never thought of that" Where do these people come from. I thought the recession might have got rid of some of the chaff, but obviously not. They start the dabbing tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Might take a rope to work with me.

  2. #2
    Season ticket holder amestaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    2,642
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    430
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    282
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

    Default

    Show them some 21st century technology ..... the footlifter.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

  3. #3
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

    Default

    Asked a joiner gaffer one day if the boys had surforms for ingoes as they were rough as.
    He said "No. A bit of 2 by 2 does the same"
    Now these guys were earning in excess of 1000 a week each and they won't buy a f**** 4.50 tool.
    Gets right on my goat

  4. #4
    Regular Member crack filler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    plymouth uk
    Posts
    499
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    47
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

    Default

    I know I'm going to offend a few people here but Tony you are in cornwall and things are just different as soon as you cross that bridge

  5. #5
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

    Default

    The thing that gets my goat is that I gave the developer a rate for tacking and dot & dab, and he will be paying these monkeys more than that in daywork to f*** the boarding up. I pointed out one patio door head that was lower on one side by 10-15mm and the guy who boarded it couldn't see that it was all to cock.

  6. #6
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

    Default

    Just to add to this. They started the dot & dab today. Boards on the floor, face down, flinging bonding at the back of the boards willy nilly, bonding mixed quite sloppy with a DIY drill and paint whisk. Retards!
    If when I get back from my job in Weymouth the boarding is 'that bad' I won't be jointing it.

  7. #7
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

    Default

    Feel for you there mate.
    How they get away with it, I'll never know.

  8. #8
    Regular Member crack filler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    plymouth uk
    Posts
    499
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    47
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

    Default

    it quite a special gift to get it that bad

  9. #9
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

    Default

    Luckily that mess is going to be behind coving, but if that was me, that board would be in the skip.

  10. #10
    Getting the hang of this Captain perfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    173
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Just to add to this. They started the dot & dab today. Boards on the floor, face down, flinging bonding at the back of the boards willy nilly, bonding mixed quite sloppy with a DIY drill and paint whisk. Retards!
    If when I get back from my job in Weymouth the boarding is 'that bad' I won't be jointing it. Here's some of their tacking.
    Their names are'nt Kris & Vlad?

    I just jogged on 2 muppets with the same skills.
    Milk No Sugar.

  11. #11
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

    Default

    Yeah that 10 " cove should cover it.
    JUST

  12. #12
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain perfect View Post
    Their names are'nt Kris & Vlad?

    I just jogged on 2 muppets with the same skills.
    One of them is of Eastern European origin.

  13. #13
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    11
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    One of them is of Eastern European origin.
    Did the beetroot sarnies give it away

  14. #14
    Member turktown taper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    gosport
    Posts
    87
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

    Post !!!!!!!!

    how come boarders get away with it !!! all your get is " the jointer will get over it " !!
    then we get snaged to bits !!
    as the painters dont do any filling any more all they do is paint!!!

  15. #15
    Member Deck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    72
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post
    Did the beetroot sarnies give it away
    I eat beetroot on my pieces, (that's sandwiches in English) along with another fillings-not on its own-I'm Scottish I thought, now I will have to describe myself as Eastern European, or will I? I don't understand lol
    http://www.specialist-decorators.co.uk

  16. #16
    Member Deck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    72
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Me and my mate started taping a large dormer bungalow today. It's not completely ready for us but we made a start because we have to go and do another job in a day or two, so we thought we'd get ahead. The boarding had been done by 'Operatives' that, in the words of one of them "i've never done this before," should have left it well alone. All the usual taper annoyances are present - pissed reveals, screws sticking out, big gaps, damaged boards,and some SQUARE EDGED BOARDS! I watched as one of the operatives re-fixed a board resting on the floor thus leaving a good 15mm gap at the top to the ceiling board. I said to him, "You couldn't have jacked the board up then, i've got to prefill that now before I can tape it?" in a sarcastic manner to which he looked at me blankly and said "Oh, yea, oh s**t. Never thought of that" Where do these people come from. I thought the recession might have got rid of some of the chaff, but obviously not. They start the dabbing tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Might take a rope to work with me.
    Is the rope to pack out the joint or to commit Hari Kari?
    Last edited by Deck; 26-03-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: misspelt word
    http://www.specialist-decorators.co.uk

  17. #17
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

    Default Photobucket

    Quote Originally Posted by Deck View Post
    Is the rope to pack out the joint or to commit Hari Kari?
    The latter.

    My mate was down there yesterday and they are still dabbing the same way, so reckon i'll be suggesting they find a plasterer to do downstairs.

  18. #18
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

    Default

    Returned to the job today and as I thought, the dot & dabbing was pretty bad. Bad enough that now, all but one window wall going to be skimmed.
    Have a look.

    This is an 8mm step in the boards.


    At least 12mm gap under every window board

    Most of the electrical sockets will fit through the holes nicely with room for a few fingers besides.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    88
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

    Default

    tuffhide level 7 is ideal for that, ill be there first thing

  20. #20
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,337
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    52
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    188
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theblones View Post
    tuffhide level 7 is ideal for that, ill be there first thing
    Will you get that much Tuff Hide in your Crafter?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Irish.... Go home and leave us locals in jobs!!
    By scottishlad2k10 in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-09-2011, 04:24 PM
  2. Maternity leave
    By amestaper in forum Business, marketing, and advertising
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 10:37 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •