Thread: Pretty usefull

Thanks

Default Pretty usefull

saw this on you tube and thought it was pretty handy. Also what coving do you guys prefer? I have been installing plaster coving for years and recently switched to the lightweight b&q stuff. Its much better to use and looks excactly the same when its up.
    You can easily install 3.6 m lengths on your own with one hand and it wont fall back down like sometimes happens when you struggle on your own with standard stuff. Its the same price as the normal stuff aswell
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tgi11#p/a/u/0/-tN7Qd5v11c

2. The Following User Says Thank You to theblones For This Useful Post:

amestaper (28-03-2010)

Thanks

Tapepro cornice head? This could come in very handy
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Saw this a while back Mr Jones. Could be worth a try but it's pretty quick to applying the cove adhesive anyway and it's something else to clean out. I only use BG cove when paper faced cove is requested purely because it comes in a box. Most times i've used Lafarge or Knauf, i've had to discard the top piece as it's been damaged in transit ( or not necessarily a Transit, as it might have been delivered in a Sprinter))

Thanks

yes brother i understand what you say,
    I see the advantage being.. the head sits at the correct angle lays the adhesive on, this gives you a guide to save markin out, also its done from the floor which is easier than fannying around buttering up both sides then holding it carefully up to position.
    also it will be easier to get on your stilts and put each peice up dry rather than butter up..put covin up.. get back down.. butter up etc.
    definitely worth a try as some coving jobs have been a bit fiddly and i could have used it.

the light weight coving i have to say is great. it looks ecactly the same with its paper face and any misgivens i had were gone after i used it once.
    i was on my pegs with a length in 1 hand and my trowel in the other buttering up. then i pushed it in place and it stuck no prob.
    normal cove wouldnt let me do that.

on the same subject do any of you lot scribe your internal with cove. my mate does it and its easy all his internal are perfect. i keep forgetting to do it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theblones View Post
    yes brother i understand what you say,
    I see the advantage being.. the head sits at the correct angle lays the adhesive on, this gives you a guide to save markin out, also its done from the floor which is easier than fannying around buttering up both sides then holding it carefully up to position.
    also it will be easier to get on your stilts and put each peice up dry rather than butter up..put covin up.. get back down.. butter up etc.
    definitely worth a try as some coving jobs have been a bit fiddly and i could have used it.

the light weight coving i have to say is great. it looks ecactly the same with its paper face and any misgivens i had were gone after i used it once.
    i was on my pegs with a length in 1 hand and my trowel in the other buttering up. then i pushed it in place and it stuck no prob.
    normal cove wouldnt let me do that.

on the same subject do any of you lot scribe your internal with cove. my mate does it and its easy all his internal are perfect. i keep forgetting to do it
    I scribe, therefore I am.

Thanks

How would you you scribe it?

Thanks

Like this.
    Scribing coving.
    1. Cut cove, wall edge upppermost.

2. Cut back at an angle with a coping saw. You can do it with a handsaw if you are competent enough.

You'll need to take a bit more off the top back edge so it goes over the top of the previous piece.

3. Lightly sand edge to remove arriss. You don't have to but i'm a fussy cnut.

4. Stick it on the wall/ceiling.
    [u]

Thanks

When you scribe it like this, does this fit into a straight bit on the wall end? How much of an angle do you saw off? Is just a 45 degree angle through the mitre box?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Like this.
    Scribing coving.
    1. Cut cove, wall edge upppermost.

2. Cut back at an angle with a coping saw. You can do it with a handsaw if you are competent enough.

You'll need to take a bit more off the top back edge so it goes over the top of the previous piece.

3. Lightly sand edge to remove arriss. You don't have to but i'm a fussy cnut.

4. Stick it on the wall/ceiling.
    [u]
    Last edited by picasso; 23-05-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    When you scribe it like this, does this fit into a straight bit on the wall end? How much of an angle do you saw off? Is just a 45 degree angle through the mitre box?
    Yes, the previous piece is cut straight.

Just angle the coping saw back a bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    Tapepro cornice head? This could come in very handy

Was thinking along the same lines.

Thread Information