Thread: Price difference between taping and skimming

Thanks

Default Price difference between taping and skimming

ok, here is a question for you all, it will be interesting to see how the prices change around the country.

so what is the difference in price between taping and jointing and scrim and skim by hand. i havent got a clue how much plasterers charge for hand application pm2.

for spray skimming. on commercial jobs that i am quoting on people are charging in the region of 5 to 6pm2, however on domestic private house builds you can get between 8 & 9pm2, so it does depend on the type of work.

so if as i see a lot of you would ideally like to get between 3 & 4pm2 for taping including materials, how much does this differ from your main competitor who is offering the hand applied skim finish. I have heard people are offering to do this for about 5.00pm2, if this is the case then why would a client prefer a taped finish rather than a plastered one. it cant all be to do with speed.

Thanks

If the cost is basically the same, i would say its for the drying time you can paint a taped area as soon as its dried & sanded,and this time of year each coat is drying over night, with skimming the drying process take a lot longer. So its probably for fast turn around sites.

Thanks

A chap phoned me yesterday desperate for a plasterer to skim some houses. He was looking to pay 3.00 per m2 labour only. Good luck I said. I would expect to pay between 5 & 7 per m2 for a good skim finish. Some contractors are paying as little as 2.30 at the moment. You cannot expect a decent finish for that money.

Getting the hang of this Captain perfect's Avatar
    Thanks

We have just priced a refurb on a nursing home skimmed walls & jointed ceilings

6.50 on the skim & 4.25 on the jointing will find out on Fri,

I wouldn't do it for any less,

Just got a invoice from supplier & we are paying 4 a roll for paper tape not that long ago it was
    2.50 a roll
    Milk No Sugar.

Thanks

befor the recession it was 150 a day on domestic work for skimming . and if it on a sq m price id try from 8.75 to 10.00 now it s 100 a day if your lucky on . did a job today for a woman today . her broth is high up for bellway building ,he reckons another six months and it might pick up more

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    A chap phoned me yesterday desperate for a plasterer to skim some houses. He was looking to pay 3.00 per m2 labour only. Good luck I said. I would expect to pay between 5 & 7 per m2 for a good skim finish. Some contractors are paying as little as 2.30 at the moment. You cannot expect a decent finish for that money.
    yeah i always thought it would be about 7pm2 for a decent skim, i know that last year from a bare drywall, the rates were about 8.50 for taping jointing and a mist coat plus two topcoats, and about 11 for a skim finish followed by a mist coat plus two top coats. I think it will take a few years until we are back at that level.

i was looking at a system the other day and i think it has some legs. so you tape and joint to a three box finish, then instead of just putting a primer and two top coats on, you put a spray skimcoat that you dont have to sand or trowel, which is 1mm thick totally flat, and then you put a matching top coat on to finish. the system is swiss, they reckon on a 1000m2 partition wall job if you went in at 7.00 - 8pm2 cost about 2.65pm2 in materials. so work out your own labour, but i guess a two man team would take three days to do the spraying. so lets just say 150 per day per man, is it reasonable to expect a two man taping team to do a thousand square metre partition wall to a three box finish in four days. if so the whole job would be completed in a seven day week. so i work the total costs to be around 2650 materials and 2400 labour obviously there would be additional costs like a scissor lift 300 and maybe digs 360 so lets just say the total costs are 5500 there is till a nice profit.

sorry if i keep bringing paint spraying and plaster spraying into the forum, its just its my thing and i like finding new systems.

Thread Information