Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Toilet Scrim.

  1. #1
    Regular Member turrican_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    373
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts

    Default Toilet Scrim.


    Just had delivery of thistle pro tape, normal shite, fraying edges, scrim a room only to find it all on the floor when you return to start taping. I would say at least 3 rolls in every case of any brand we buy ends up in the bin. Have tried all types, can anyone recommend a descent scrim that actually sticks to the wall for longer then 20mins or does not have to much adhesive where it wont come of the roll, and not fray. I mean is it that difficult to get it right, its the most basic part of the taping process but gives the most aggro.

    Anyone know a good scrim (hopefully we havent tried), and papertape is a

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    aup mate i alway s use everbuild stuff it s grey and sticks good about the best ive used and i get it for under 2.50 a roll

  3. #3
    member dryfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default toilet scrim

    Hi turrican, we find the best way to keep cheap scrim on the wall and ceilings is to put a staple top and bottom of the joint,this may seem overkill,but you can scrim up a few hundred m2's and come back the next day and it,s not all over the floor,even the best scrim will fall off the wall in cold weather.we use alot of ezfill, through the 8inc box and stapeling top and bottom stops the box dragging off the scrim in shallow tapers of the board.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to dryfix For This Useful Post:

    turrican_007 (15-04-2010)

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    read a tip that if you slice a stanley blade lightly over the round face of the scrim you wont get rings fallen off

  6. #5
    VIP TonyM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,330
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked 187 Times in 160 Posts

    Default

    I've always found the scrim branded 444 pretty good. Got it from Marnic PLC in London somewhere. Currently using some unbranded stuff from Encon which is ok too.

  7. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richie View Post
    aup mate i alway s use everbuild stuff it s grey and sticks good about the best ive used and i get it for under 2.50 a roll
    I use this Everbuild Silverscrim also, I'm paying 1.15 a roll for it which makes up for the occasional freyed edge roll
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

  8. #7
    Regular Member turrican_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    373
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dryfix View Post
    Hi turrican, we find the best way to keep cheap scrim on the wall and ceilings is to put a staple top and bottom of the joint,this may seem overkill,but you can scrim up a few hundred m2's and come back the next day and it,s not all over the floor,even the best scrim will fall off the wall in cold weather.we use alot of ezfill, through the 8inc box and stapeling top and bottom stops the box dragging off the scrim in shallow tapers of the board.

    Nice one done it with blobs of joint cement before, like you say bit "ott" for the process of putting scrim on walls.

    Just wish scrim would do it job properly instead of Russian roulette everytime you open a new roll

  9. #8
    Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    National Tools & Materials Supplier
    Posts
    807
    Thanks
    88
    Thanked 127 Times in 102 Posts

    Default

    Anyone use wallspan - it's in green packaging - over 6 years selling it and no real problems - only downside is the price it aint cheap ! But as the ole sayin goes ya get what ya pay for boy !
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

    Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    true but we need the materials to be cheaper at the moment

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:

    turktown taper (30-01-2011)

  12. #10
    Getting the hang of this
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    150
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dryfix View Post
    scrim up a few hundred m2's and come back the next day and it,s not all over the floor
    Scrim up and first coat within 30 mins. No next day for us lads

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Used Thistle scrim today seemed much better than the cheapy mamouth stuff i've been using . i had forgotten what it was like to use decent scrim .

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Lafarge 'patching tape' is pretty good. get the odd roll in a box that isnt too sticky. I tend to scrim a floor then fill dont leave it over night or it will all come down.

  15. #13
    Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    698
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 137 Times in 110 Posts

    Default

    Just used Minster own brand, very good, scrimmed up in the afternoon, and it was all still there in the morning, nothing had even started to peel, and I only had 1 roll "ring" on me

  16. #14
    VIP E.K Taper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    East Kilbride, Glasgow
    Posts
    1,385
    Thanks
    386
    Thanked 199 Times in 177 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turrican_007 View Post
    Just had delivery of thistle pro tape, normal shite, fraying edges, scrim a room only to find it all on the floor when you return to start taping. I would say at least 3 rolls in every case of any brand we buy ends up in the bin. Have tried all types, can anyone recommend a descent scrim that actually sticks to the wall for longer then 20mins or does not have to much adhesive where it wont come of the roll, and not fray. I mean is it that difficult to get it right, its the most basic part of the taping process but gives the most aggro.

    Anyone know a good scrim (hopefully we havent tried), and papertape is a
    Previous contractor I worked for uses 'Tradeline' fibremesh jointing tape from CCF Drywall Solutions. Sticks to the wall no probs but does have the tendency to leave rings of it on your hand when scrimming up. Think he buys a pallet load at a time for around 1-2 a roll

  17. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Saleen's money saving tip of the day!

    Here you go chaps..
    http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/pr...0m-24-box.html

    If you order 2 boxes costing 67.30 delivery is free, take out the VAT and your paying 1.15 approx per roll same as me
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saleen836 For This Useful Post:

    amestaper (28-05-2010),E.K Taper (28-05-2010),turrican_007 (31-01-2011)

  19. #16
    Regular Member turrican_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    373
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saleen836 View Post
    Saleen's money saving tip of the day!

    Here you go chaps..
    http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/pr...0m-24-box.html

    If you order 2 boxes costing 67.30 delivery is free, take out the VAT and your paying 1.15 approx per roll same as me

    Im using this stuff at the moment, and guess what, it sticks! odd roll strings at the edge which can get a bit messy (and wrapped around yir fingers) but apart from that its about as good as it gets..

  20. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turrican_007 View Post
    Im using this stuff at the moment, and guess what, it sticks! odd roll strings at the edge which can get a bit messy (and wrapped around yir fingers) but apart from that its about as good as it gets..
    Yep, and at the price i'm paying the odd roll doesn't hurt the pocket.
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

  21. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    My tip update!
    Am no longer using the 'SilverScrim' as i found it to be not as sticky as it used to be, that along with a small price increase taking it to approx 1.20 a roll. Anyway, went to my local Sydenhams branch (2mins from my house) and they now stock the '444' scrim tape, they quoted me 2 :O per roll to start with, I told them politely where to go with that , 5mins later after a chat with the sales manager and I'm buying it @ 1.10 per roll in a box of 24
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

  22. #19
    Regular Member turrican_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    373
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saleen836 View Post
    My tip update!
    Am no longer using the 'SilverScrim' as i found it to be not as sticky as it used to be, that along with a small price increase taking it to approx 1.20 a roll. Anyway, went to my local Sydenhams branch (2mins from my house) and they now stock the '444' scrim tape, they quoted me 2 :O per roll to start with, I told them politely where to go with that , 5mins later after a chat with the sales manager and I'm buying it @ 1.10 per roll in a box of 24

    Nice one, did you have a gun at there head?
    www.dryliningfinisher.co.uk

  23. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    261
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 39 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turrican_007 View Post
    Nice one, did you have a gun at there head?
    Actually no, although I did think I would have to try and batter them down a bit more when I saw the chap walking back from the managers office! No way was I giving them chance to back out of the price and it is installed on the system for my account with them (I get Wondertex corner flex from them also @ 7.80 a roll)
    I'm now in the process of sorting out an account with another supplier who can sell me Gyproc Easi-fill @ 8.75 per bag
    "YOUR PRIUS JUST SAVED ALL THE PETROL MY MUSTANG USED!"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Paper or scrim
    By jasbevs in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 17-07-2012, 11:52 PM
  2. Scrim tape and Level 5
    By turrican_007 in forum Taping, jointing and drywall finishing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25-02-2011, 06:39 AM
  3. Jermemy Clarkson trapped in toilet
    By JPxTPxMP in forum General off topic chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •