Thread: Pricing for Taping & Painting work help!

Thanks

Question Pricing for Taping & Painting work help!

Hi lads

Was wondering if u guys could give me a bit help with a few questions

Im in the process of tendering for new build work and was wondering how u price for ames taping work
    I heard some guys price per the floor area m2, and also metrige per room?
    Can anyone give me some help in how u do it?
    How do you price for painting work on new builds to?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

The floor area is far too vague to base a rate on. If there was a high ratio of internal partitions and lots of small rooms you would price the job too low and be kicking yourself later on. Ive known people to take a rough figure from plans and estimate at 12 - 15 per m2 of floorspace, but personally I dont recommend this as it doesnt allow for corners or finer details.

Best bet is to get a measure of the plasterboard and work out your own meterages rather than take someone elses word for it.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Default pricing for work

Don't bother with measuring the floor space- its not the floor that you're taping! Take a measure of the gyproc area - ceiling and walls in sq.m . Also dont omit the window spaces as thats where a lot of your work is, beads etc. Get your total area in sq.m then multiply by your rate. I also add on more if there is excess work in the area eg. bay windows, coombs or archways.
    Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Cheers for the advice lads

Ive actually started a job today. Theres windows in it and a cupboard and lots of pipe boxes, externals that require beads. Whats would be a fair m2 for the flat tapes (its for a building contractor) ? What about the beads? Theres also a couple of rooms to get 127mm gyproc coving fitted. Whats a fair price for that to (im supplying coving and adhesive)? Also supplying the materials for taping, beads, corner tape, skrim, fast set and ames.

If there was coombs, archways or bay windows, how much extra would i add on?

Thanks

Hi
    Measure the sq.meterage of the ceiling and walls, including your cupboard. Dont price it at anything less than 3 per sq.metre. I also take a measure at 4 per sq.m so I know the max and min I can go in at.
    This should cover your materials and labour no probs. As for beads, not many contractors will pay extra as they come in with the sq.m. but try to add on the price of a box so you're not caught out.
    Once you have a price in mind, subtract the cost of materials/outlay, and ask yourself if its a fair price. would you be happy to do it for that price if it was given to you by a contractor?? If so, then add your materials on and thats the price you go in with. Bear in mind your min price of 3sq.m. and never go below it if they try to cut you down.
    Archways, depending on their size, I normally stick 50-60 on top.
    If thers the odd coomb on the job , normally put 15-20 each
    Coving is about 25 a box out B+Q and prob cheaper elsewhere so shop around. As for putting the coving up how about ,say, 2 per metre? Would you be OK with that? Measure the coving you need and estimate the time it will take to do the job and 2 per meter will tell you if its worth it.
    Phew!
    Good luck mate!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to E.K Taper For This Useful Post:

picasso (14-05-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    Cheers for the advice lads

Ive actually started a job today. Theres windows in it and a cupboard and lots of pipe boxes, externals that require beads. Whats would be a fair m2 for the flat tapes (its for a building contractor) ? What about the beads? Theres also a couple of rooms to get 127mm gyproc coving fitted. Whats a fair price for that to (im supplying coving and adhesive)? Also supplying the materials for taping, beads, corner tape, skrim, fast set and ames.

If there was coombs, archways or bay windows, how much extra would i add on?
    Would you like one of us to come and do the job for you too?

Thanks

Cheers for that E.K Taper

Ill do a measure on Monday & see what a come up with

What kind of price would you charge for private customers, what per sq metre?

Thanks

Well it is a forum d'uh..Boys happy enough to give there advice without u acting like a twat..If youve got nothing useful to add, just keep a lid on it

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Would you like one of us to come and do the job for you too?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    Well it is a forum d'uh..Boys happy enough to give there advice without u acting like a twat..If youve got nothing useful to add, just keep a lid on it
    If you had any manners, or any idea about forum etiquette, you might want to contribute to the forum for a bit, rather than just join and come straight out with pricing questions.
    You're lucky that you're getting the job priced for you. For all we know, you could be a QS, agency eastern European gangmaster, coming on here to pick our brains and then undercut us. And as for having nothing useful to add....nothing useful for you maybe!

Thanks

Much the same price for private customers although you may be able to bung a few more s on . Bear in mind private customers are more likely to shop around for a better quote if they have the slightest inkling you are piling it on. Only you will know what you can get away with once you meet the customer and see the job, just remember the recession is still on so overpricing aint worth it

Thread Information