Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to get rid of artex!

Getting the hang of this Goodmanatee's Avatar
    Thanks

Default What's the best way to get rid of artex!

Just moved in to new home and all the ceilings are lighty artex.
    What's the best way to make it flat.
    Any tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Overboard it, otherwise it's a messy job and potentially hazzardous depending how old the artex is.

Thanks

Tonys right, artex applied over 20 years ago has asbestos in it and is best left alone. You could buy a texture stripper such as X-Tex, paint it on and remove it like wallpaper with a steam stripper or just plaster over it.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks

Agree with tonyM unless its really light then you can skim with plaster. Ive coved the whole house as well, saves messing around in the corners and imo looks much better.

Thanks

I would re sheet over it,better job,less mess and no worries about asbestos.

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Over boarding is best option - if however you cant and dont want to lose space (coving in place etc) there are some great products on the market actually made by artex!

We sell stack of smooth it powder - its a cross between plaster and artex and less prone to cracking than just plain skim plaster.

If its a small area you of course used joint cement but it does shrink back and often takes two or three attempts to cover pattern properly.

Plenty of options as as always its down to time - cost and the job site its self.

im sure many of the forum members have there own methods - be good to hear what others use on a regular basis
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Getting the hang of this Goodmanatee's Avatar
    Thanks

Cheers Lads thanks for info.
    It's the whole house, on a tight budget. The artex is very light so I might go for the scrape and as many coats of joint cement( I don't have to pay for cement) as it takes.
    What's the price on artex stuff Maris? And how much would I need for 16 m2 ceiling.

Thanks

stay away from the smooth it mate cheapest way pva and skim but best overboard 9.5mm boards finish as you wish

Thanks

Default Covering old artex.

If the artex is heavy knock off the high spots with a floor scraper. Then apply a coat of bonding agent PVA or gyproc bondit and skim over. If it is a light texture just use the bonding agent ang then skim.

Thanks

hard to say would prob be easier to pva and skim it. i did the same when i moved in to my place was in a rush and was trying to do the job as cheap as possible. recently i decided to put insulated boards on the outside walls and had to tear out the old coving i had skimmed into. the skim alongside shattered off in sheets on top of my head even though i had brush lots of pva on beforehand.prob would never have done so had i not gone near it but it did. nowadays (as i am time rich and cash poor) i wished i boarded it and taped it and was now looking at a brand new ceiling

Thanks

artex is a dodgey one to skim .just hope it dont make a comeback

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by happytaper View Post
    hard to say would prob be easier to pva and skim it. i did the same when i moved in to my place was in a rush and was trying to do the job as cheap as possible. recently i decided to put insulated boards on the outside walls and had to tear out the old coving i had skimmed into. the skim alongside shattered off in sheets on top of my head even though i had brush lots of pva on beforehand.prob would never have done so had i not gone near it but it did. nowadays (as i am time rich and cash poor) i wished i boarded it and taped it and was now looking at a brand new ceiling
    Had the PVA set prior to skimming?
    Plaster does not stick well to hardened PVA. Apply the skim to the PVA when it is the tacky to the touch stage of setting.

Use dilute PVA to seal porous surfaces and then use neat or V.strong PVA solution for the bonding agent onto a sealed or non porous surface. Apply plaster when PVA is still tacky.
    or
    Use gyproc bondit (sets like liquid sandpaper) to seal several areas at the same time allow it set and then plaster.

Thanks

I have skimmed over artex using BG joint cement. usually takes 3 coats though but does leave a good finish. I'm not confident enough to use plaster as you only get 1 shot to get it right! I'm a bit worried now about the asbestos thing as i tend to attack the artex with a sanding pole 1st, so I think the best bet would be to strap and sheet your ceiling then tape.
    good luck

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks

SJG is right the thistle bond it is the nuts, very neat product - think a few other manufacturers are now getting in on the act.
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

PVA and skim
    Give it a go,you'll be surprised at how easy it is.
    The trick is to make up enough stuff for the full area and get it on quickly, then mix a small amount for a second coat.
    You need to have everything ready and as soon as the mix is made you just go at it.
    The cost of a bag of multi finish is as low as 3.5 and covers 9-10m2.
    If you can use a hawk and trowel then your half way there (trowel needs the edges rounded off slightly).
    If you make an arse of it just fill once with velvet after your first coat of well pissed down emulsion.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks

electric sander with 80 grit sanding discs, deflex or abranet work well, then float over it with joint cement, usg or knauf ready mix have some glue in them which will bond well, though you probably want to seal it first.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Had the PVA set prior to skimming?
    Plaster does not stick well to hardened PVA. Apply the skim to the PVA when it is the tacky to the touch stage of setting.

Use dilute PVA to seal porous surfaces and then use neat or V.strong PVA solution for the bonding agent onto a sealed or non porous surface. Apply plaster when PVA is still tacky.
    or
    Use gyproc bondit (sets like liquid sandpaper) to seal several areas at the same time allow it set and then plaster.
    dont think it had set too much was doing it systematically i was putting on the pva while another guy was mixing the skim when i was laying it on he was carrying on with the pva. the corner where it came off was where i started applying the pva first so maybe it was hardened by then and that is probably why it came off.thanks for the advice.still wished i boarded it and taped it.it looks perfect but id prefer to be looking at a brand new ceiling and i could have put in spotlights too!

Thanks

Thumbs down smooth-it

Quote Originally Posted by belmoreboy View Post
    Over boarding is best option - if however you cant and dont want to lose space (coving in place etc) there are some great products on the market actually made by artex!

We sell stack of smooth it powder - its a cross between plaster and artex and less prone to cracking than just plain skim plaster.

If its a small area you of course used joint cement but it does shrink back and often takes two or three attempts to cover pattern properly.

Plenty of options as as always its down to time - cost and the job site its self.

im sure many of the forum members have there own methods - be good to hear what others use on a regular basis
    smooth-it is awful worst stuff iv used and its very expensive avoid!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    I have skimmed over artex using BG joint cement. usually takes 3 coats though but does leave a good finish. I'm not confident enough to use plaster as you only get 1 shot to get it right! I'm a bit worried now about the asbestos thing as i tend to attack the artex with a sanding pole 1st, so I think the best bet would be to strap and sheet your ceiling then tape.
    good luck
    its been nice knowing you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JON RAMBO View Post
    its been nice knowing you.
    Thanks for your concern,Jon! I'm ok for now though........cough cough

Thread Information