PDA

View Full Version : Coving

scottishlad2k10
09-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Just wondered what way you guys do the coving and to see if theres any possible quicker ways of cutting and applying it.

i usually scribe one end and leave the other straight for the joint and apply it with gyproc fastset filler but i also apply a pva mixture to painted surfaces & plaster walls so the filler bonds correctly.as i think its quicker.

but i see guys who cut both ends of the coving with mitre boxes and sticking the coving up with tubes or adhesive surely this is more time consuming and also more costly as tubes are expensive?

whats your view on this? :confused:

TonyM
09-02-2011, 09:02 PM
I was taught to scribe it and did so for many years. Recently i've been mitering more, but a lot depends on how square the corners are. I always mitre mid wall joints as I believe that you get a better joint. I mainly use Gyproc cove adhesive to fix it, but do use Easifill occasionally. On skim, I will use a wetter mix and use small head sheradised pins to be sure it stays there. On painted surfaces, I will either scar the surface with a skarsten first or use bonding agent such as Knauf Betokontakt.

scottishlad2k10
09-02-2011, 09:05 PM
I was taught to scribe it and did so for many years. Recently i've been mitering more, but a lot depends on how square the corners are. I always mitre mid wall joints as I believe that you get a better joint. I mainly use Gyproc cove adhesive to fix it, but do use Easifill occasionally. On skim, I will use a wetter mix and use small head sheradised pins to be sure it stays there. On painted surfaces, I will either scar the surface with a skarsten first or use bonding agent such as Knauf Betokontakt.

ah i see. so do you find the mitering far quicker? what do you use for mitre cuts? just the typical hand saw and mitre box?

TonyM
09-02-2011, 09:08 PM
ah i see. so do you find the mitering far quicker? what do you use for mitre cuts? just the typical hand saw and mitre box?

I use an Artex mitre box for 5"cove and home made boxes for 4" and larger ornate stuff. I think mitering is slightly quicker.

scottishlad2k10
09-02-2011, 09:10 PM
I use an Artex mitre box for 5"cove and home made boxes for 4" and larger ornate stuff. I think mitering is slightly quicker.

i would think the mitering would be alot quicker but i completely agree with what you said about corners being off. especially on these jobs where the joiners are on piece work and just slap the place together. i find them the worst jobs to do.

E.K Taper
09-02-2011, 09:33 PM
I mitre the corners, using a yellow mitre box from B&Q about 13, does the job. I generally just butt join the mid wall joints but depending who your working for, they may insist on mitring. Fast set all the way for me, but always PVA new plaster and painted areas. Used cove adhesive on a job last year and thought it was a bit tougher to work with

scottishlad2k10
09-02-2011, 09:39 PM
ive noticed that with cove adhesive before aswell some of its just difficult and not as good got one readymix and it was as dry as a camel shit in the dessert i just tend to stick to what i was taught the way i know it cant fail =] i usually just but joint the midway joints aswell baisically cause i can no1 questions it and after a skim of readymix filler it cant be seen so its a win =]

TonyM
09-02-2011, 09:53 PM
I've always used the Gyproc adhesive. You've got a good hour and a half per mix, and it's nice and fine for finishing.

E.K Taper
09-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Each to their own i suppose, Tony. I always cove the full room then scrape off the excess then brush clean. If I do this with cove adhesive then its murder to scrape off, i find. And thats only a half hour or so into the mix. Nah, fast set for me.

scottishlad2k10
09-02-2011, 10:17 PM
i have to agree with you E.K fast set it is :) plus atleast if its dry in the 30 mins it can then get hit with a coat of paint :) dont know how long the cove adhesives take to set but doubt its as rapid as fastset? or as cheap?

amestaper
09-02-2011, 10:35 PM
I used either until I had to remove coving from a flood damaged ceiling. I had to use a groundworkers flat spade to get the cove off that was fixed with gyproc joint filler. Sets hard as nails and sticks good enough for me.

scottishlad2k10
09-02-2011, 10:38 PM
i reckon theres not much diffrence between the joint filler and adhesive anyway :)

E.K Taper
10-02-2011, 08:32 AM
I used either until I had to remove coving from a flood damaged ceiling. I had to use a groundworkers flat spade to get the cove off that was fixed with gyproc joint filler. Sets hard as nails and sticks good enough for me.

I bet you were cursing it at the time though!

amestaper
10-02-2011, 10:06 AM
I bet you were cursing it at the time though!

A few times LOL. It took longer to completely remove the cove than the entire ceiling but I wasnt complaining as I got paid twice. Probably longer than it did to fit it when I think about it. Before then I would sometimes use pins through the cove to secure but I realised it would take an earthquake measuring about 7 on the richter scale to bring down coving fitted with fast set.

Beermonster
10-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Yea gyproc fast set is the way,u wont have the cove land on any1's head after that!!
Have a look at this coving box i will say its the best u can get,i've tried them all!!! Its a FB13 coving box.

DMC
11-02-2011, 06:09 PM
I have always used fast set, PVA new plaster and painted surfaces,no problem so far.

E.K Taper
12-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Watch this fella with the Tapepro cornice head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tN7Qd5v11c

scottishlad2k10
12-02-2011, 12:39 PM

thats pretty cool like! but notice there plasterboard on the walls...... it has hardly any joints like wtf? massive sheets of plasterboard?

Beermonster
12-02-2011, 01:35 PM
What the F**K was he putting the coving up with?
Hope that wasn't readymix cause it looked very much like it 2 me!!!!!!!!!!

scottishlad2k10
12-02-2011, 02:11 PM
What the F**K was he putting the coving up with?
Hope that wasn't readymix cause it looked very much like it 2 me!!!!!!!!!!

dont think its readymix could just be an old bucket hes mixed in but it could be readymix or it could be a bucket of coving adhesive:confused:

Beermonster
12-02-2011, 02:19 PM
thats pretty cool like! but notice there plasterboard on the walls...... it has hardly any joints like wtf? massive sheets of plasterboard?

When i was in australia i had a look round a house that was gettin built and the sheets on the ceilings were 5m long!!!!!! The stuff had like fibre's through it and was quite thin.

scottishlad2k10
12-02-2011, 03:12 PM
When i was in australia i had a look round a house that was gettin built and the sheets on the ceilings were 5m long!!!!!! The stuff had like fibre's through it and was quite thin.

aye it looks massive like! would be a right b:censored:tch to manouver these but there ceiling boards look the normal 2400 x 1200

E.K Taper
12-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah the wall boards horizontally are the same as 5 ceiling sheets at 1.2m wide. So thats a 6m sheet lol

scottishlad2k10
12-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah the wall boards horizontally are the same as 5 ceiling sheets at 1.2m wide. So thats a 6m sheet lol

wish they used boards that size here would be amazing!

bazza1974
24-02-2013, 08:04 PM
hi lads new on here but was looking for some advice i want to put coving up in living room but walls are painted and ceiling has a stipple artex on it but quite smooth what adhesive would i use and would i need to pva both walls and ceiling

scottishlad2k10
24-02-2013, 08:23 PM
hi lads new on here but was looking for some advice i want to put coving up in living room but walls are painted and ceiling has a stipple artex on it but quite smooth what adhesive would i use and would i need to pva both walls and ceiling

dont worry about painted walls or ceiling :) gyproc joint filler will do the job for you support the coving with a few nails along the lengths of coving add a couple of screws here and there to support the coving if your feeling weary never had a problem with coving and never come back to it on the floor :P

TonyM
24-02-2013, 08:47 PM

I would nail through the coving or it will end up on the floor. Joint filler does not stick to paint.

scottishlad2k10
24-02-2013, 08:54 PM
I would nail through the coving or it will end up on the floor. Joint filler does not stick to paint.

^ agree with tony but i prefer to use screws :) joint filler sticks to everything you dont want it to :P lol

TonyM
24-02-2013, 09:30 PM
I use 40mm sheradised pins. won't rust and the heads are about 2mm in diameter.

scottishlad2k10
24-02-2013, 09:33 PM
I use 40mm sheradised pins. won't rust and the heads are about 2mm in diameter.

ah they sound nice and easy to filler over compared to the screw heads :) top tip there tony! wel have to get you your own tv show :D "TONY`S TOP TIPS" on discovery channel or shed to get rid of the pishy cookery programs :)

forestbhoy
24-02-2013, 10:58 PM
If its painted just pva it before you stick it. Always used the bonding that they use to stick the boards on with. Cheap and sticks like shit to a blanket.

Dillon
25-02-2013, 12:24 PM
I mitre and stick with Bonding, if it sticks a sheet of board to the wall it will stick coving.

Beermonster
25-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Coving adhesive is the way 2 go!! U get in tubes for a mastic gun! Never had a problem with it!

E.K Taper
25-02-2013, 09:19 PM
PVA the ceiling and walls where your coving goes. I generally use joint filler after that, but Beermonster has mentioned coving adhesive and thats probably a better bet. Comes in bags too, rather than the mastic tubes. They would be more expensive too I'd imagine. Put a few nails here and there if you're not sure

Beermonster
26-02-2013, 03:08 PM
PVA the ceiling and walls where your coving goes. I generally use joint filler after that, but Beermonster has mentioned coving adhesive and thats probably a better bet. Comes in bags too, rather than the mastic tubes. They would be more expensive too I'd imagine. Put a few nails here and there if you're not sure

2 a tube E.K and yea stick some nails in 2 just 2 hold the coving till set!! Not through the coving!!

E.K Taper
26-02-2013, 10:56 PM
2 a tube E.K and yea stick some nails in 2 just 2 hold the coving till set!! Not through the coving!!

Yeah, I generally put some nails underneeath the coving till set. At 2 a tube though, how many of them do use to fix a box of coving? I think you'd still be cheaper with the bagged stuff. No?

Beermonster
27-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I generally put some nails underneeath the coving till set. At 2 a tube though, how many of them do use to fix a box of coving? I think you'd still be cheaper with the bagged stuff. No?
I only use it where painted stuff is!!
You get a few lengths out of a tube and after set pull the nails and go round the coving again and put a bead of it top and bottom!

E.K Taper
27-02-2013, 11:02 PM
I've used painters mate before but found it helluva messy, does the tubed adhesive stuff scrape off easy ?

Dillon
28-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Funny story about coving, I wa on a site yrs ago when artexers used to fix coving with artex, any way one day I was in this house chatting to the chippy known as over cautious John but thats another story, John was fixing skirting with a hammer and those big horse nails (before nailguns yes Im that old) As he bannged a nail in a length of coving came down and hit him square on the back of the head, the coving broke and John was knoched out cold for a few seconds. And thats when they stopped fixing with artex.

GB_Decor
28-02-2013, 04:40 PM
i use a joiner made mitre box to the right size for cove and put up with easyfill 45 no nails or screws needed ever wipe off with a scraper and hawk then was the cove witha brush ;)

scottishlad2k10
28-02-2013, 04:50 PM
I've used painters mate before but found it helluva messy, does the tubed adhesive stuff scrape off easy ?

painters mates like everything man you get stuff thats like water and stuff thats too solid. cant win lol sponge and water is your friend when messing about with painters mate :) silicone is another story! silicone on hands meets hoody or trousers lol

E.K Taper
28-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Funny story about coving, I wa on a site yrs ago when artexers used to fix coving with artex, any way one day I was in this house chatting to the chippy known as Not Cautious John but thats another story, John was fixing skirting with a hammer and those big horse nails (before nailguns yes Im that old) As he bannged a nail in a length of coving came down and hit him square on the back of the head, the coving broke and John was knoched out cold for a few seconds. And thats when they stopped fixing with artex.

Fixed that for ye!!!

Dillon
28-02-2013, 10:35 PM
No mate he was known as Overcautious John because he failed his driving test for being overcautious (True) I didnt even know you could fail for that lol.

Brian S
02-06-2015, 05:01 PM
OK we've got some coving to do in a big fancy house, its being skimmed next week, then we're in. (very old house being renovated)

Person having the work done is mega fussy, guy running the job says no gaps, everything spot on (long story behind all this, but all to our benefit)

Anyone used a powered mitre saw to cut coving? we have an angle finder that works out everything, just don't know what coving we're using till we get there, could be plain or ornate, large or small.
Just trying to make things easy for ourselves

TonyM
02-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Take some 18mm mdf with you and make up a mitre box to suit once you know the projection of the cornice. You'll probably find that the motor of the chop saw will catch on the cornice as you get deeper into the cut.

Beermonster
03-06-2015, 10:11 AM
OK we've got some coving to do in a big fancy house, its being skimmed next week, then we're in. (very old house being renovated)

Person having the work done is mega fussy, guy running the job says no gaps, everything spot on (long story behind all this, but all to our benefit)

Anyone used a powered mitre saw to cut coving? we have an angle finder that works out everything, just don't know what coving we're using till we get there, could be plain or ornate, large or small.
Just trying to make things easy for ourselves
FB 13 mitre box!;)
Its all I use for cove! Google it.

rabbyc
04-06-2015, 05:33 PM
I'm new here, and a plasterer to trade and done loads of coving, so thought it would be ok to pass on my experiences, if your unsure of the size and type of coving, you are better off making your own mitre box plywood ok for sides but thicker wood for base, it has to be cut in box as it sits on ceiling/walls, if plasterboard coving is selected gyproc cove adhesive is best, as it doesn't dry in as quickly on plastered walls, and gives you time to wash down, and saves having to pva surfaces first, which should really be done only once plaster has dried out(damp can throw pva off i remember artexing and next day bit blisters in ceilngs gggrrrrr) , if plaster cornice is selected screw in place and remember to mirror image mitres then fill with casting plaster keeping joints wet to allow time to work on them, i know what i'm trying to convey not sure if anyone else will though..!!

Brian S
04-06-2015, 07:18 PM
All useful info Rab

sweendog1
06-06-2015, 10:08 AM
It would have just Been Gyprock cornice cement mixed in a old bucket and we have up to 60000x1350mm boards over here in Australia less Butt joints means less work and flater walls and cielings

sweendog1
06-06-2015, 10:28 AM