PDA

View Full Version : Qualification question, help please.

Tee17
04-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi all, i currently have a trainee drylining cscs card. As i am an apprentice. But the college has gone tits up and become a shambles. The company which i work for is considering employing me as a subbie and putting me with a gang of tapers and jointers (the deep end to learn the right way) my question is do you have qualifications or other cscs cards or do you all get work based on your experience and stuff?
Many thanks.
Tiago.

p.s apologies if in wrong section.

Dillon
04-12-2012, 06:01 PM
I have my City and Guilds but I was a taper for 10yrs before I got them and no one has ever asked to see them. I think as long as you are good at the job thats all employers are interested in.

crack filler
04-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Experience, reputation and reliability. Can't teach it, it just takes time.
Good luck T

jase hag
04-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Experience, reputation and reliability. Can't teach it, it just takes time.
Good luck T
Well said mate.

E.K Taper
06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Hi all, i currently have a trainee drylining cscs card. As i am an apprentice. But the college has gone tits up and become a shambles. The company which i work for is considering employing me as a subbie and putting me with a gang of tapers and jointers (the deep end to learn the right way) my question is do you have qualifications or other cscs cards or do you all get work based on your experience and stuff?
Many thanks.
Tiago.

p.s apologies if in wrong section.

If you have a trainee card, then its going to expire in the next year or so, so you're going to have difficulty in getting a dryliner's cscs card if you have no qualifications to back up your application. You'll need to get an NVQ 2 or something similar mate. If you dont get it thru college, you can get an onsite assessment, but I hear they cost around the 600 mark. (just for someone to watch you for a while then say "ok, you know what yer doing, heres yer NVQ)
Why has the college gone tits up? Lack of trainees? Lack of money? Both? If I were you, I'd seek out another college And get a qualification.
As has been mentioned before on this forum, the CSCS scheme is a Government money making scam to get honest hardworking, ordinary tradesmen to part with their cash every 5 years. I myself was fortunate to get a card as I have no NVQ for taping, but managed to dig out a small card from my attic which stated I had served my painting/decorating apprenticeship in 1990, so I'm allowed on with Painter and Decorator on the back of my card.
Good luck with whatever you choose, Tee!

taperjoe
27-09-2014, 05:56 PM
just wondering you need a cscs card for machine operations if your using a apla tech pump cheers guys

TonyM
27-09-2014, 08:32 PM
No.