PDA

View Full Version : CSCS card ??

the_legend
04-03-2010, 07:24 PM
how many of you guys have got a cscs card? what do you think about it...??

amestaper
04-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Mine expires in 2013. It costs around 50 for the card, the test was common sense but I suggest you buy the book first. Its doubtful I will renew because I'm not really interested in working on sites anymore. Theres too much bullshit, paperwork and H&S procedures to distract you with while you could be earning money instead.
Well thats my opinion and I have no time or interest for it anymore. No doubt theres many who feel the same.

mik mpd
04-03-2010, 08:53 PM
i have one, waste of time and money, seemed they were going to be a good idea when they first came out, mine expires in may but unfortunately im going to have to renew as most of our work is shops and new shopping centres! I agree with amestaper about the way sites are, absolute nightmare wish i could get out of them!!!

TonyM
04-03-2010, 08:57 PM
I have one that expires in August unless I do the NVQ which is going to cost a small fortune. Heard today that a number of H&S advisors are going to lobby parliament to get it abolished because the actual number of site accidents has not decreased and because they are of the opinion that it is a government money making scam.....which it clearly is. If everybody they say needs a card, gets a card, it will raise 300 milliion in revenue.

pompey jake
04-03-2010, 09:09 PM
yeah i have the cscs card but i done my nvq level 2 in jan it is free at mo but its going to cost 700 900 soon the govement funds pay it at mo but think there running out soon so get on it people i know the bloke number if ya from hants area

Captain perfect
04-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Mine expired about 6 months back, Not going to bother to renew as I have not been asked to show it for over a year

Tony as for the NVQ What a load of BOiiOCKS that is, I managed to get assessed by Eastliegh
college for free. The assesser came out to site twice took some pics got me to sign some pre
dated forms {to save him self future site visits] then I received the NVQ fixer finnisher.

I learnt or achieved F A from it
apart from the college got around 600 nicker from the Governmentfor their troubles.

pompey jake
04-03-2010, 09:18 PM
haha thats where i got mine done eastleigh collage was his name keith ?
i know a few company that dont take ya on now if u aint got the nvq2
loads of bullsht i got my brother to take pics cos that keith bloke couldnt get on lol

pompey jake
04-03-2010, 09:20 PM
:cool:iven been out of work seen last friday been well bored indoors aint fuk all about
ive been offer a job in london starts in 2 weeks sick of waiting and ive only been off a week

mik mpd
04-03-2010, 09:23 PM
we had a guy visit site and take pictures and get everyone to fill some paperwork in and sign some back dated sheets to save him re-visiting. Some of the guys at the time had been doin the job for 25yrs or more and others just a couple but at the end of this farse they were all just as qualified according to the card!!! it didn't sit well with the older guys.

pompey jake
04-03-2010, 09:48 PM
what is that keith from eastleight collage or not ???

crack filler
04-03-2010, 10:39 PM
had to show mine today first time ever but we knew it was happening just had to make myself scarse if I did not have one

turrican_007
05-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Done the NVQ thing about 5 years ago, the bloke that done the assessment took 2 picture of me working, but asked me to change my jumber so it looked like he had been there 2 days! what a load of bollox... Been asked to see it once :confused:

the_legend
05-03-2010, 05:28 PM
yup a lot of shit, waste of cash and time my thoughts exactly dont think anybody agrees with it then....

Deck
05-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Mine expires in 2013. It costs around 50 for the card, the test was common sense but I suggest you buy the book first. Its doubtful I will renew because I'm not really interested in working on sites anymore. Theres too much bullshit, paperwork and H&S procedures to distract you with while you could be earning money instead.
Well thats my opinion and I have no time or interest for it anymore. No doubt theres many who feel the same.

I think you are way off the mark mate. H&S procedures are there to make sure you go home in the same condition that you turned up to work in, apart from having a hangover that is :-) We employ a H&S Consultant to try and keep our guys safe. It costs an arm & a leg but I think its money well spent. Remember our industry is still killing 70 or so a year and this does not include those who are maimed or disabled through accidents or breathing dangerous dusts/fumes etc. Safety first-wages second! :nono:

amestaper
05-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Thats your opinion which youre entitled to. I know why H&S guys are there, Ive had an accident falling over someone elses shit they dumped on a floor. I just dont see the point in someone checking to make sure I'm wearing a hard hat and yellow vest inside a house I happen to be taping, or need a site agent to sign a sheet every time I want to use my own steps. However I have no problem wearing PPE once I leave the building.

I'm my own health and safety operative. In an ideal world I want empty floors and no other tradesmen in the area Im working. I do my own risk assesment before I start and if its dangerous, I dont do it.

Deck
05-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Thats your opinion which youre entitled to. I know why H&S guys are there, Ive had an accident falling over someone elses shit they dumped on a floor. I just dont see the point in someone checking to make sure I'm wearing a hard hat and yellow vest inside a house I happen to be taping, or need a site agent to sign a sheet every time I want to use my own steps. However I have no problem wearing PPE once I leave the building.

I'm my own health and safety operative. In an ideal world I want empty floors and no other tradesmen in the area Im working. I do my own risk assesment before I start and if its dangerous, I dont do it.

I agree with the majority of yor reply -if only we can get a clear run!!!!!!!
However the Work at Height Regulations cover the use of, in your case steps,and this requires, among other things, the suitability of the access equipment, the inspection procedures and the condition they are in etc. An arse covering excerise for the main contractor perhaps but equally important for us. The requirement to wear hard hats and hi-vis vests inside houses is in my opinion a load of bollocks.

the_legend
05-03-2010, 09:12 PM
still a lot of pish deck!!comon sense should get you home in one piece sounds like your reading h&s manual,noticed you still use hand sanding methods i reckon h&s should ban that way of sanding in favour of electric sander & vacuum that would be a healthier way to sand,what do you think.... oh and you should not go to work with a hangover:nono:

amestaper
05-03-2010, 09:15 PM
The requirement to wear hard hats and hi-vis vests inside houses is in my opinion a load of bollocks.

And so are goggles and gloves. There is always an element of risk in any job and I accept that, but still dont do anything crazy. We all know what the best tool for reaching a 2.4 metre high ceiling height from the floor is, and unfortunately I cant use it now unless I sit my arse on it at teabreak.

I last worked on a site in the UK over a year ago and I dont miss the shirt and tie routine and legal enforcement of it all. We live in a blame culture and theres never any accidents, its always someone elses fault which covers the main contractors arses.

the_legend
05-03-2010, 09:27 PM
fear not amestaper!!screwfix has a cracking alternative to a crate, a wee hop up like the ones oot the shops the wee wimen use to get to the top shelf...:sneaky:and you can also sit on it!

Deck
05-03-2010, 09:30 PM
still a lot of pish deck!!comon sense should get you home in one piece sounds like your reading h&s manual,noticed you still use hand sanding methods i reckon h&s should ban that way of sanding in favour of electric sander & vacuum that would be a healthier way to sand,what do you think.... oh and you should not go to work with a hangover:nono:
Ha ha your right I will ditch the hand sanding-no chance, as I said, minimum of material left-minimum of sanding! I'm working tomorrow and I'm pissed just now however unfortunately some people leave their common sense at home when they go to work!

amestaper
05-03-2010, 09:36 PM
fear not amestaper!!screwfix has a cracking alternative to a crate
Would you mind sending me a link to that? I dont like the aluminium tressels considering the size and weight I am.

the_legend
05-03-2010, 09:47 PM
aye wee will see,you will get a sander i will bet my arse on that ma man youve obviously not used one because you wouldnt be saying that or yer just a tight arse that gets some wingnut to sand or perhaps all you need to do is blow and it just falls of the walls either way its about time you got a sander &vacuum saves you breathing in dust and fumes or at least whoever does yer sanding,,,,,hope yer not driving to work tomorow!!!!!!!:nana:

the_legend
05-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Would you mind sending me a link to that? I dont like the aluminium tressels considering the size and weight I am.

page 690( kick step) on there catalogue 39.99 if thers not a screwfix near you argos also has them but there plastic,screwfix ones are heavy duty metal,hope that helps not as good as a crate but better than a tressel and you wont get yer baws chewed!!:w00t:

Deck
06-03-2010, 08:59 PM
aye wee will see,you will get a sander i will bet my arse on that ma man youve obviously not used one because you wouldnt be saying that or yer just a tight arse that gets some wingnut to sand or perhaps all you need to do is blow and it just falls of the walls either way its about time you got a sander &vacuum saves you breathing in dust and fumes or at least whoever does yer sanding,,,,,hope yer not driving to work tomorow!!!!!!!:nana:

Yer right-Im Scottish and no im getting picked up tomorrow-happy days

the_legend
08-03-2010, 06:05 PM
:p sure yer not a fifer :w00t: because they are tight hahaha,,,,,,och well,,,,,still think youd be better with an electric rather than hand sanding but its your own choice my friend...

Deck
09-03-2010, 02:31 PM
:p sure yer not a fifer :w00t: because they are tight hahaha,,,,,,och well,,,,,still think youd be better with an electric rather than hand sanding but its your own choice my friend...

Im from Dundee, but I have heard Fifers are tighter than a a ducks arse :-) That being said, I might save up my bawbees and invest in one sometime lol.

the_legend
09-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Im from Dundee, but I have heard Fifers are tighter than a a ducks arse :-) That being said, I might save up my bawbees and invest in one sometime lol.

i know yer fae the city of discovery,,,and yep fifers are tighter than a ducks arse......
go-on you know you want too,then i can say,i telt yi so,,,,:nutkick:

fatboy69
10-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I have one that expires in August unless I do the NVQ which is going to cost a small fortune. Heard today that a number of H&S advisors are going to lobby parliament to get it abolished because the actual number of site accidents has not decreased and because they are of the opinion that it is a government money making scam.....which it clearly is. If everybody they say needs a card, gets a card, it will raise 300 milliion in revenue.

I got my NVQ a couple of years ago. A firm I sub off put me through it as they claim all the money back. Not sure how it works, but mine took all of an hour and didn't cost me a penny!

sav1876
13-03-2010, 06:42 PM
workin on a tulloch site and a stewart milne atm. on both sites everyone got told to have their cscs cards in by the end of the week, or we were off the site.

and talkin about goggles, some f**kwit came on a site i was on a few years ago and told me to wear goggles when sanding?!?!?!

that turned into an animated conversation. :mad:

Davie@ATT
17-03-2010, 06:10 PM
had mine a while now lot of nonsence if ask me sites are gettin real bad with H&S and this card is just another way of them getting in way of earning. also there are a lot of fake cards around aswell ive heard so now its supposed to be some sort of chip and pin in the future yeah thatl stop accidents!!!!

the_legend
17-03-2010, 06:39 PM
had mine a while now lot of nonsence if ask me sites are gettin real bad with H&S and this card is just another way of them getting in way of earning. also there are a lot of fake cards around aswell ive heard so now its supposed to be some sort of chip and pin in the future yeah thatl stop accidents!!!!

yep heard correct davie i got my new gold card last week after 2 years arguing with the c:nono:ts because they sent me a 1 year experianced worker card cost me another 50 bucks f***ing rip of britain i think and it has a chip on it,dont know how there going to police it though,because any site i have been on thats about to be audited has it in black and white when its happening date and all...