Stud partitions, suspended ceiling, dot dab and sheeting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Default Fermacell boards

Real-Debrid

They're bloody heavy!

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

Man up ya wuss

What do you reckon they weigh Tony, same as a 15mm soundbloc or heavier?
    Two man operation maybe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Definately more than soundblock. Started a large bungalow today after eventually getting the tapered edge boards delivered. It's probably 20% stud and 80% D&D. Was using the collated Fermacell screws (18 a box). Got another boarder helping and glad that I have. It is a 2 man operation. Initially I priced for normal board, then Megadeco, then the client saw Fermacell and wanted that because of the hardness and the fact that it will take a screw without a plug/fixing. So it went from 3.60 to 12 a board. Had to go off and buy a new handsaw to cut it, but by lunchtime that was shot so was on the phone to the Hilti rep and got a circular saw coming on Monday speed things up a bit. It's a really good board in my opinion. I'm looking forward to jointing it, but the Fermacell jointing materials aren't the most user friendly. The joint filler goes off really quickly if it is mechanically mixed and from memory is quite coarse.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

you will have to start going gym Tony.i got to double layer 2 big ceilings over the weekend with 15mm soundbloc,not looking forward to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jase hag View Post
    you will have to start going gym Tony.i got to double layer 2 big ceilings over the weekend with 15mm soundbloc,not looking forward to it.
    Do you want my hoist mate?

Just looked it up. The 12.5 boards are 15kg per m2.
    Jase, we put up more than 4 today, so maybe we could get a job with your mate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I'm going to go nuts at Sheffield Insulations tomorrow. I've just checked my invoice and they have charged me 17 a board as opposed to the 12 they quoted me over the phone. I checked this price with them twice and asked for email confirmation and i've not had it. If I ring them tomorrow and they insist that 17 is correct, then I am quitting this game. Incompetent b@stards. Keep your eye on the classifieds for a 10 plate VW Transporter full of boarding and taping tools.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

What a twattish jointing system. I mix up the filler with the maximum of an inch of water in the bucket, clean the whisk, and by the 3rd or 4th internal, the gear is starting to go off and develop hard bits, rendering it useless. Why would they develop a filler with such a short setting time? Oh, and after 3 or 4 mixes, your bucket is buggered.

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts

not having much luck with that system,are you mate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I think you need to forget jointing it and pva & skim it instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default fermacell

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I think you need to forget jointing it and pva & skim it instead.
    We have to joint those boards in all bathrooms for a housing asso, never had any problems using standard jointing products. Why dont you first coat a room and try scraping it off next day, if it wont come away carry on with your own material.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree its a real good board, we have just come across it for the first time on a new build house ( 4 million) down on the waterfront in Wittering. Really hard and apparently it can get wet for months and still not degrade......they will need it were this house is and the tide comes in!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hi Tony

There are a few ways to joint Fermacell boards

S/E boards -

Jointstik glue comes in a mastic tube and is run down the edge of the board and the boards are postioned as normal, let the excess squeeze out and then scrape off after 8 hours, fill the screw heads and apply Fine Surface Treatment (FST) to the boards maximum 1mm thick (but like a slurry coat). The FST dries in 45 mins

Or leave a 3-5mm gap between the boards and fill with the filler then fill the screw heads and FST as above

T/E boards - Bed the tape and fill the tapered area, fill the screw heads and FST as above

have a look at http://www.fermacell-drylining.co.uk/videos/partitions from 4 mins on in the 2nd partition video shows the finishing.

The filler does go off a little quickly so I would suggest hand mixing smaller amounts, I know it's a pain but they are working on a better filler.

If you need a site visit to go through the boards and finishing give me a shout and I'll get Andy the site guy from Fermacell out for you.

All - yes the boards are heavier but, you don't need insulation to beat 40dB, 1/2 Fire with no insulaton and you can hang 30kg from a screw into the board and 50kg from a toggle fixing - TV's, cabinets and radiator brackets etc

hope this helps!
    David
    NO1 for TapeTech Taping tools
    www.thetapingstore.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to The Taping Store For This Useful Post:

TonyM (04-05-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I took a fermacell job on about 5 year ago. it was a school, timber framed and all the linings were osd board, then fermancell stapled to it. The fixers used to put about 3oo staples in each board. It was a fkn nightmare to fill , and the gear goes off about 5 minutes aftr mixing. We had the fermacell rep out (waste of time) he didnt have a clue.
    Took it on ourslves to use screws,not staples and easifill 45, the sloppy coating (finish) was watered down and sprayed on(on weekends when no clerk of works was there!) n absoloutly horrible material to work with. Was glad to see the back of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I took a fermicell job on an iam still having nightmares over it. nothing but trouble from start to finish. hada rep come out an he didnt have a clue. i know were in bad times now an most people cant be choosey but i recemand that u stay away wen u hear fermacell..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

I think as long as you allow enough money to install and tape the boards, it's a good system. I'm now decorating the bungalow I used this system on and there has been hardly any movement, and the finish is excellent.

You need at least double your usual labour rate for this system.

Thread Information