Off site day to day running of your business.

Senile Old Bastard the_tapeinator's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Default who thinks they might go tits up before xmas

Real-Debrid

barely hanging on + running to stand still yet noticing some bigger players are now muscling in +competing with small builders for work. is there any sahme in saying the business aint doing what i want anymore and its time to move on?

Last edited by the_tapeinator; 02-06-2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: fucken tired of this
    Jesus loves you........ everyone else thinks you're an arsehole.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Is it not about time you were retiring anyway ya miserable old git? I reckon the government spending cuts, cancellations and suspensions are now having a trickle down effect and many people more mighty than little old me have fallen. I've cut my 2 legged overheads over 2 years ago, ditched a vehicle and now stay away from big site jobs. Whos not had to make a sacrifice?

The thing is though, do you jump now while there may be no debts so you can make a clean break or do you soldier on in the hope the good 'ol days will make a comeback?

In answer to your question Ive made a loss over the last 2 years, one more year and I may consider it so I dont have to sell a kidney.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

This is really sad to read, and im not dennying it it's true up and down the country (in fact globally) at the moment!
    Anyway what can i do to help??
    Please tell me guys (i know prices, prices, prices) all need to be cheaper this would help everyone, but please please challenge ME!! please anyone send me your REAL prices you pay for materials i want to be your supplier that offers YOU the best prices for materials delivered to site when you want them at a price thats right and hopefully help you all scrape a few quid back from the housebuilders that seem to keep accepting unrealistic prices from anyone that cares to pretend they can offer a service!
    Let me know what you need to pay, or what you pay and we WILL try our very best with the help of USG and our other suppliers to get you guys making the money you desere whilst being able to compete out there in this tough climate.
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to belmoreboy For This Useful Post:

amestaper (04-06-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

A nice gesture Sir!

Prices are rocketing, not just for building materials but especially for fuel and groceries etc and imported goods because the last government diluted the pounds value. A 3/4 filled trolley at Tesco didnt get me much change from 100, when the fcuk did that happen?

Do you think if every builder was to add a price increase above inflation like these greedy bastards have to maintain their profit margins, whether or not folks would part with their cash?

I pay more but would like to see a reappearance of the 15 a tub or bag and 5 for filler. Not too long ago I was paying 11 for a bag of BG joint cement, its now 16.50 odd ex VAT.
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amestaper View Post
    A 3/4 filled trolley at Tesco didnt get me much change from 100, when the fcuk did that happen?

~Edit:
    135 for a full trolley of weekly shopping yesterday (Just food - no cigs or alcohol).

Somebodys getting really rich at everyone elses expense.
    Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Who may go tits up before christmas? Is everyone doing ok then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

I wouldn't say tits up but not making money anymore just paying the bills. Like was mentioned on another thread got to abuse the system a bit to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

I'm almost tits up now mate
    Working every day every hour just to pay the bills (most of them anyway) and now I been sitting in the house for a few days waiting on next job to tape.
    Prices have stayed still for about the last 7 or 8 years while everything else rockets and I'm starting to wonder if its all worth it

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

Yea Marcus its time 2 sort out prices or start losing trade! And answer my questions!There is lots of companys we can buy from!!! Its a case of do u want the trade or not????
    Last edited by Beermonster; 24-12-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Well made it to xmas without selling a kidney or 1 of the children. Been doing 7 days a week for a while to make a lot less than i was in 4 days a few years back. Have applied for jobs away from the taping so just need to see what (if anything) turns up. Another year like 2011 will probably sink me, and plenty of others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DMC View Post
    Well made it to xmas without selling a kidney or 1 of the children. Been doing 7 days a week for a while to make a lot less than i was in 4 days a few years back. Have applied for jobs away from the taping so just need to see what (if anything) turns up. Another year like 2011 will probably sink me, and plenty of others.
    It's not so bad you know, and you can always start taping in future once the rates come back up to a sustainable amount. Ours is a supply and demand game, unfortunately the stats have been skewed by wealthy housebuilders pleading poverty and making a small fortune from your efforts. The work is there, so is demand (to a certain degree) and I know for a fact the money merry go round is still active - the only thing holding our industry back is desperate people getting involved in a fear induced price war and I just wish the people who are trapped in this cycle could wake up. Until our time comes again, I wish you well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Spot on te merry go round is still active and there are those making a killing from hard pressed quality tradesmen caught up in all this fear induced pricing nightmares. Such a sorry state of affairs stacking shelves in tesco might be easier!

Thread Information