Visit Belmore Tools online shop

Thread: No Alcohol

CSCS, OSAT, IPAF, PASMA, asbestos, risk assessment etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts

Default No Alcohol

Real-Debrid

Started on another site this week and noticed a 'No Alcohol Allowed On Site' sign in among the usual H&S stuff at the front gate.
    No surprise, I know, but I dont think I've EVER seen people drinking on site! Maybe its cos we're all self employed nowadays? Anyone got some funny storys about guys drinking on the job?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Yup, seen a lot of weed and alcohol used in the early 90's but wouldnt tell for fear of incriminating the guilty party who also uses this site.

+ =

However, I saw this poor guy tripping out his head on site with fumes from the glue he was using. This carpet fitter was fitting a large lino in an unventilated basement in Edinburgh and his mental state deteriorated rapidly throughout the day. Dont even think he finished, and he staggered off the site with bulging red eyes leaving all his tools and in no fit state to fly his Starship Enterprise home at warp speed. Eventually he was picked up by Klingon traffic cops foaming at the mouth in a layby somewhere and teleported to a police cell.

He was released later without charge and told to be more responsible. Still back at work the next morning to tell us all his life changing experience though.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amestaper For This Useful Post:

E.K Taper (05-08-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E.K Taper View Post
    Started on another site this week and noticed a 'No Alcohol Allowed On Site' sign in among the usual H&S stuff at the front gate.
    No surprise, I know, but I dont think I've EVER seen people drinking on site! Maybe its cos we're all self employed nowadays? Anyone got some funny storys about guys drinking on the job?
    Now I'm sorry EK but are you trying to tell me that on building sites in Scotland you've never seen anyone drinking?
    Ive seen jock scaffolders in london go for breakfast at Weatherspoons and have a pint with it! Im talking 10 am here!
    Site in Marylebone about 7 or 8 years ago there was a sparky that we called "Lagging Gal" His name was Gary and every lunchtime he would go to the pub along the road and have several pints, I don't mean a quick lunch pint I mean 5 or 6! In the afternoon he would be 50 foot up in a cherry picker fixing cable tray in a massive sports hall. Never got caught nothing said. Same site as the Glasweigan scaffolders as it happens.
    But me, I wasn't allowed to use steps or a hop up to fix MF ceiling at 2.4 metres! go figure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Another one was a refurb job in Suffolk on a whole estate of ex service personnel bungalows. Our labourer was a bloke of advancing years and advancing alcohol dependency and used to leave stella cans all over the site usually in airing cupboards. The plumbers used to chuck them in with all the scrap copper they got to weigh in. His favourite trick was to pop up in the loft and have a few swigs of vodka. Nothing ever said but it was a very chilled site, if there were any Suits turning up the Agent would come round and tell us to put our boots and hats on etc. prper nice old boy knew the score just left us to get on with our work, no HS bullsh~t.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GMan For This Useful Post:

abbie (26-04-2017)

Getting the hang of this
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Twenty odd years ago,i remember the 2 digger drivers (the days of jcb's on site) would take turns to bring in 4 cans of strongbow in the summer (they used to be hot in those days) .They were put straight into a bucket of cold water in the morning and drunk with their sandwiches at dinner time (half hour).Cant remember accidents being any worse than they are now lol.

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

I was once on a job in a military base where we all had dinner in the canteen, one day when we came out to return to work the military police were there with the sniffer dog, we lost half the scafholders that day along with a few others. Dopey buggers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

What's wrong with a 2 beer lunch?

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

You forget over here in the UK we have real beer not Budweiser rice water. Your taking a chance driving on two pints so why should you work having had the same. Personally if I have two pints at dinner time I wouldn't see the afternoon at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Yeah...But we got Jack Daniels !!!! LOL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    You forget over here in the UK we have real beer not Budweiser rice water.
    The real Bud is brewed in the Czech Republic.

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    Yeah...But we got Jack Daniels !!!! LOL!
    We have whisky... and Buckfast.
    Your messages are really important to us
    ...but not important enough to employ a sufficient number of support staff to answer them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Who needs alcohol when you have hammerite thinner

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

An we got " SCRUMPY " down here

My dad told me a story about some of our brothers across the pond who were here during the war.
    Dad was on shore leave in South Devon, in a pub the Americans, (won't say yanks, as some are from the southern states) saw Scrumpy for sale, but you were only allowed a pint, (probably if you weren't local)
    Said American ordered a pint, barman told him it was strong stuff. Down went said pint, he said that's not strong but nice and ordered another one, barman warned him one is enough, but the guy wanted another, so he had another.
    He didn't finish the second pint, he was pixxed as a newt and had to be assisted back to his ship, much to the amusement of the locals

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    An we got " SCRUMPY " down here

My dad told me a story about some of our brothers across the pond who were here during the war.
    Dad was on shore leave in South Devon, in a pub the Americans, (won't say yanks, as some are from the southern states) saw Scrumpy for sale, but you were only allowed a pint, (probably if you weren't local)
    Said American ordered a pint, barman told him it was strong stuff. Down went said pint, he said that's not strong but nice and ordered another one, barman warned him one is enough, but the guy wanted another, so he had another.
    He didn't finish the second pint, he was pixxed as a newt and had to be assisted back to his ship, much to the amusement of the locals
    On a similar note an old friend of my parents came down from the midlands on holiday and insisted that he liked his cider, when I told him about the "Ye old Cider Bar" in Newton he just had to go. This was in the old days when the bar was on the r/h/side and there was sawdust on the floor, So we are off out for dinner one night and going to stop at the Bar for a quick Half first. We get in and he orders a pint of triple vintage ad the barman say Im sorry its Half pints only, OK I'll have two halfs he says boldly, we sit down and he necks the first claiming it wasn't that bad, Its time to move on for the meal so he finishes the second half, gets up walks out the Bar and face plants the pavement, we had to bring the car round and take him home. He wasn't so loud after that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

WOW! I get your point.. Think I'll just stick to my piss waterIMG_0582.JPG

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

I wasn't trying to make a point its just a true story about an old family friend that we like to remind him of at every opportunity.

Im a well known piss taker so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, and if you don't know what that means it means I'm full of shite

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

excellent reply for Alcohol User
    and i agree with you

Thread Information