Visit Belmore Tools online shop

Guides, tips and tricks from time served journeyman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Filling a 7" Box with Joint filler - For speed

Real-Debrid

Hi Guys

I done some work in Gibraltar and for speed I fibre taped the joint's and using a 7inch box filled the joint's with joint cement ... Ceilings I done the cross joint's in filler waited for them to set and did the same (So it does't pull of the fibre tape and leaves a better finish )

Because of the Temperature out there it dry'd pretty quick most times the same day. I then used a thicker than normal 10 inch box coat ... then a nice 12 inch coat this worked great especially for house/Flat bashin

Am back working in Jersey now and am thinking of doing the same but with filler as a first coat using the 7inch box. (As it will take day's to dry in this temperature using joint cement )

My question is does anyone know a way to fill the 7inch box with filler ? For obvious reasons I am not going to use the pump and of course hose down the inside and out side of the box when the filler start's to turn .

Any help appreciated

Honorary Forum First Aid Guy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts

We normally just open the back and shovel it in with a 6" knife, it's quick enough.
    Someone suggested we try a mud tube (BTE, Can Am) we tryed it with our 18" BTE tube and even made a filler nozzle for it, but, no go, we went back to opening the back.

I would try and hose the box before it starts to turn if you can, makes life easier

Fibre tape and Joint Cement I would say thats a recipe for cracks if ever there was.
    Fibre tape and Filler

(PS, by Fibre Tape I take it you mean Mesh)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brian S For This Useful Post:

Byatt (14-08-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

hi I have been boxing filler on through my pump for a good four years now and never had a problem.First when scrimming I always scrim butt ends first then followed by straights this stops the scrim pulling to much when passing over as I box the long runs first.make sure you have have a butt to wash of in first,we generally put a dustbin in the plot full of water to be sure as you can bet your life it will go.Cleaning out the pump i use a wash brush,pump brush,small stiff paint brush and a babybottle washing brush which is great for cleaning out the head of the pump and filler nozzle.I generally do ceilings and anything that will need two coats of filler first floor by floor tidying as i go .This takes 30-40 minutes then wash of pump and box and finish the remaining filler by hand.No you cant hang about doing this and i use one and a half bags of filler per mix.Also if your box blade is worn it will pull the buut end scrim away alot more than a new blade.

hope this is of help

5. The Following User Says Thank You to boonie72 For This Useful Post:

Byatt (14-08-2011)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank's for the tip guys will try them out tomorrow ... Or maybe Wednesday av got 2 days of full on sanding @BrianS never going to use joint cement on fibre tape - Mesh again

Cheers

Season Ticket Holder
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boonie72 View Post
    hi I have been boxing filler on through my pump for a good four years now and never had a problem.First when scrimming I always scrim butt ends first then followed by straights this stops the scrim pulling to much when passing over as I box the long runs first.make sure you have have a butt to wash of in first,we generally put a dustbin in the plot full of water to be sure as you can bet your life it will go.Cleaning out the pump i use a wash brush,pump brush,small stiff paint brush and a babybottle washing brush which is great for cleaning out the head of the pump and filler nozzle.I generally do ceilings and anything that will need two coats of filler first floor by floor tidying as i go .This takes 30-40 minutes then wash of pump and box and finish the remaining filler by hand.No you cant hang about doing this and i use one and a half bags of filler per mix.Also if your box blade is worn it will pull the buut end scrim away alot more than a new blade.

hope this is of help

Yup been doing this for years without problem as long as there are two of you one to lay on ad one to touch in and you have good wash facility.

Season Ticket Holder belmoreboy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

try using one of these - http://www.belmoretools.co.uk/acatalog/Trowhawk.html
    or these - http://www.belmoretools.co.uk/acatal...g_Trowels.html
    We sell these to tapers filling boxes with filler - just like a giant bucket trowel !
    The Uk's No 1 Drylining & Plastering Tool Store
    01603 787464
    http://www.belmoretools.co.uk
    Skype - Facebook - Twitter - Blogger = belmoretools

Check Out http://www.SheetrockDirect.com Buy Sheetrock Products Online !

Thread Information